Delfino Says He Wants Out

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

"Stats" ain't everything. If you put so much stock in them then whynot compare Delfino's stats to Flip Murray's stats?

As I said before, stats or no stats, J-Max has been called a "hungry rookie" by no less an authority than Bill Lambieer (the real one), and Greg Kelser among others. Plus just watching him, one can see the desire. When has that ever been said about Delfino?

Based on the Low's reports on the SL, J-Max is holding his own quite well, thank you. Frankly, I trust the Low's judgement. What are the "reports" saying about how Delfino is doing....right now?
  2. Mad Hatter

Observations from Summer League:

I would LOVE to hear some similar reports from/about Delfino. Somebody please show me where Delfino is either (a) quoted talking about how he's improving his game or (b) observed working on his game. Inquiring minds want to know.
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

20 freethrows? Woop di darn do. How in the world is shooting 20 extra freethrows going to improve his game? He needs to be shooting hundreds of freethrows a day, not 20 extra. Also, no one is questioning JMax's hunger, it's his game that's a problem

BTW, speaking of hunger, would you rather have Delfino, who's playing for the favorit in the World championships, complaing about pt, or DD resting for the summer, content on getting paid whether he plays or not? We need more players on this team demanding a chance to prove themselves. I'd love to hear JMax and Acker demand some PT.
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

You think a "combo guard" can back up a 3, in a regular rotation?
  5. Superstarov

Becasue the summer league is a joke.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Looking forward to seeing how many minutes Carlos will get on his Argentinian team... hopefully much more than he got last time.... but that squad has a lot of veteran depth at that position... could be they have a LB/Flip meanie there too.
    Some of these games will probably be shown on NBATV.
  7. Mad Hatter

Well that's 20 more freethrows than Delfino has shot. Based on what J-Max was quoted as having said, do you have any doubt that he will be shooting "hundreds" of freethrows a day this summer? What has Delfino been quoted as saying that leads you to believe the he will be doing the same?

What has DD got to do with this? Dale Davis is an established veteran, and at his age prolly should be resting up over the summer.

I'm lookin to see when YOU are gunna call for Delfino to get his azz in the gym and work on improving his game. Or you think the guy is so naturally talented that he should not be subject to off-season development? If Delfino comes back weak next season, will you call for his head or Flip, Flip, and Joe's? That's a direct question.
  8. Superstarov

From MLive:

Early on, he made rookie mistakes, but showed enough flair and athleticism to justify the Pistons' optimism. In a November blowout loss to Denver, Delfino scored 17 points in 19 minutes, registering two forceful dunks over Kenyon Martin in the process.

Eight days later, he was put on the injured list after his knee gave out. The injury required two arthroscopic procedures to correct, and was the source of considerable conflict between Delfino and former coach Larry Brown, who openly questioned Delfino's toughness and willingness to play through pain.

By the time Delfino returned to the lineup in March, his play was marked by considerable tentativeness. Untrusting of his knee strength, he couldn't cut the way he'd been able to earlier in the season, and robbed of a crucial part of his game, he became more like a bystander. His shooting percentage plummeted, and he was eventually left off the playoff roster.

Like his draftmate Darko Milicic, Delfino entered this past summer with something to prove. His run with the Pistons' summer league team was limited by a mild shoulder separation suffered a couple of games in. Up until that point, it was clear that he was a long way from game shape, though he did use the opportunity to show off his passing skills.

To strengthen the knee over the summer, Pistons strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander had Delfino concentrate on low-impact training. He returned to Argentina, riding his bicycle 15-20 miles at a stretch.

15-20 miles a day? Yeah, I guess he was slacking.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm kinda like Merc when it comes to Delfino. I need someone to show me. I'd like him to work out, but I haven't seen all of this fantastic talent people keep saying he has (and believe me, I have looked hard).
  10. Mad Hatter

Is that the best you can come up with? So let me get this straight.

According to your line of thinking, Delfino is "above" the SL. He can spend the summer fishing (again). That's OK with you.

But if he can't TAKE any PT then it's:

(a) Flip's fault for not "developing" him.
    (b) Joe's fault for bringing in another Flip who will "take his minutes" thereby making Joe a liar.
    (c) Flip Murray's fault for "taking" Delfino's minutes.
    (d) All of the above.

I'm betting you will check "(d)." It can't be Delfino's own fault can it? No way...no how!
  11. roscoe36

Flip Murray is not a SF. I really want to make this clear. Rob Otto is on WDFN right now spewing a bunch of nonsense about Flip Murray that leads me to believe he has no clue who this guy is.

He is a natural 2. He can't play the point, and he is too small to play Small Forward. He is a shooting guard.
  12. Superstarov

I guess they'll just bring the Argentine boys for the Wolrd Championships and let the lolligag around the gym. He probably won't work on his game at all. You're right. He probably won't even practice at all. Seeing how soccer is the No1 sport in Argentina, those guys porbably don't practice hard or play hard. Considering their success, they probably just wander around the gym like junior high kids.

And yeah, I'm sure Dale Davis should be resting up after his tremendous workload this past season.

We don't know what Delfino is or isn't doing.

I really think Delfino will step it up this year. Until he does or doesn't, this thread should rest for a while.
  13. Superstarov

Thank you. For heaven's sake. Anyone hear that?

Flip Murray is a 2? And maybe a 1 in a pinch.

Hatter? Hear that?
  14. Superstarov

Can you honestly tell me that you have ANY concrete evidence as to why Mo Evans got more burn than Delfino?

The guy HAS to have more talent than Mo.

The guy WANTS to play.

I say, if he plays and sucks it up, then it's his fault.

But it's better than him playing a little, and playing well, and then riding the pine for a week before he sees another 5 minutes.
  15. roscoe36

I would also like to make it clear that Delfino is an overrated guard. He is best playing Small Forward, his natural position. Everyone talks about his ability to ball handle, but he lost every matchup last season when playing the guard spots.

At Small Forward, he was stellar.

http://www.82games.com/0506/05DET4C.HTM
  16. Mad Hatter

At least two of them "Argentine boys" (Nocioni and Ginobli) have already established themselves as bonified legit NBA players. Delfino ain't in their class, as we speak.

Delfino's best position is at the 2. As Roscoe pointed out, Flip Murray is a 2 all day long. Whatever you think of Flip as a player (I don't think he is "all that" either), you can't blame Joe for trying to shore up what he feels is a weak area. I have yet to see any other suggestions. Just like I have yet to see the free pass wavers call for Delfino to "go to work."

I'm starting to get flashbacks of the DHOF club. I ain't hatin on Delfino, I'm calling for him get with the program. Those who called for Darko to get with the program were quickly labeled "haters" by the free-pass wavers. Do I smell a resurrection?
  17. Mad Hatter

Not questioning your research Roscoe, but Delfino looks like a 2 to me. He can play some 3, and maybe the stats say he performed better at that position. He still looks like a 2 to me.

Hear that Superstarov?

We can agree to disagree on this one, cause that's just how I see it. Either way it goes, early indications suggest he'll be nailed to the pine again this year.

I don't want to get into a full-fledged flame war over this, but a "spirited" discussion seems to be in order. Beats moaning and groaning over the loss of Big Ben.
  18. Superstarov

Roscoe just pointed out that Delfino is a better SF, which if you're not familiar, is the "3", not the "2". So the competition will likely come from JMax, although I don't really see JMax as a SF, or a "3" (just trying to cement it in your head with repetition).

Regardless of how many "established" players the Argentinian team has on it, I still maintain that it will be more structured and more intense than the SL. Which I think will be enough to "keep him in shape".

And as for your parallel between Darko and Delfino, I can see what you mean, and I've thought about it. Delfino has actually shown that he can at least contribute, and he doesn't sulk on the bench, and when he comes in, he plays hard. So I guess the parallels stop with the fans wanting them to do well.
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Yup.
    The reality is our bench has already been set by Joe. Flip playing the 1 and 2, Delfino playing the 2 and 3, and and Dice playing the 4 and 5. JMax and Amir will get GT to try see if they can break into the lineup, and I have absolutely no idea how Flip will use DD and LH.

Is this lineup better than the LH, Mo, and Dice combo we used in the playoffs? Yeah, but not by much and our starting unit is much worse with Nazr instead of Ben.

BTW, Mad, two questions:
    If Mo is better than Delfino, why did Joe trade him?
    If Delfino is better than Mo, why did he sit behind Mo?

(My answer, Del is better than Mo, but Flip "liked" Mo better)
  20. Superstarov

Well, this shouldn't shock you, but I disagree with you.

Delfino is a solid defender, a decent slasher, a bit of a streaky shooter, and a decent passer. I just don't think he has the skill set to play the 2. And I think that what we do know about him fits in better as a 3.