Delfino Tracker (Argentina NT)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by FreshPrince22, Aug 1, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If VJ came in hot, he played. If he came in cold, he sat. His minutes were directly related to how well he played.

I'll agree with lurker, there is no magic 5 minute player. But if you come in and don't impact the game in the first 3 or 4 minutes, it's a good chance you're going to be sat down for the starter at the next whistle.

VJ when he was on fire was good enough for Chuck Daly to keep Joe or Isiah on the bench.

Hopefully Delfino has some of those performance in him, keeping Prince off the floor, or better yet, pushing Tayshaun to be even better.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

fllip needs to do this. there have been many times when the bench would come in and do well and flip would go back to the starters no matter what.

ok. but if you do make and impact can you get a chance to do the same next game?? if you don't make an impact can you get a chance the next game?? i see the bench problems as all lack of chances.

flip didn't even sub when the starter wasn't making an impact. if you can't get a chance when the starter is stinking it up. you know the chances for bench players on the pistons is limited.

3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``there is no magic 5 minute player.''

Lindsey Hunter is. He is the perfect example of a player you should play in 5 minute spurts. His 3 minutes at the end of the 3rd qtr of Game 7 against the Cavs is the perfect example. He came in, disrupted and got everyone else geared up to lock down the Cavs in the 4th.

4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Lindsey is the "magic 5 minute player" once every 15-20 games. You can't point out one or two games in an 82+ game season to judge by. Lindsey just has so many games where he's just awful.

5. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I didn't see much of the regular season, but I did see the playoffs, which is, to me, all that counts. Lindsey's been pretty reliable as a defensive energizer.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I must be a complete homer because I am rarely disappointed by lindsey. Sure he makes mistakes but so does chauncey and I love hunters defense.

The frustrating thing was watching delfino play well in his little spurt and then get nothing for weeks. I think he may do well WITH tay instead of subbing for him.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sign me up as a Lindsey loving homer. I even have a Hunter jersey. It really surprises me how willing people are to bash on Lenz. The guy plays for very little money, gives 100 percent, and always seems to get red hot in the playoffs. What's not to like?

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I like Lindsey the person, but the player is a different story. He has his moments when he's great, but for some reason some fans like to overlook the games when he just kills us. He doesn't "play for very little money" either. We're paying him 4.5 million over the next 2 years. And I gotta laugh at the "always seems to get red hot in the playoffs" comment. You do realize that he has the lowest FG% in the history of the NBA playoffs, right? :laugh: I just thought that was funny.

Fact is, He can't run the point, and he can't shoot. And with the hand-touch rules being as strict as they are, his defensive impact is spotty. The hustle is always there, but I can't say the same for results.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This probably belongs in its own thread, but the reality is Lindsey is the definition of situational player. Seperate his personality from his game, and you have a great defensive, horrible shooting point guard.

The problem with Flip is he doenst appear to believe in making adjustments and using players for situations. He has his rotation, and no matter who we play, he using it.

If Flip was a little more flexible, he may have realized that Mo was better than Delfino against certain players, and Delfino was better than Mo against certain players. That Darko and Dale matched up well against certain players, and none of these Darko/Delfino arguments would have happened.

I may be anti Mo, but him and Delfino played pretty well together. They complimented each others weaknesses. Something Flip never figured out.

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Lindsay Hunter is a point guard?!?:doh: Seriously by watching him play, I always assumed he was a 2. Even with the Lakers, he didn't play like a point guard. When I saw the depth charts thread, I realized he was a point guard. But wait, we didn't play him that way, did we? Because Chauncey just played all the pg minutes last season. That's why he was SO TIRED!:ohwell:

:focus: Carlos Delfino is listed as point guard/shooting guard on the official FIBA Argentina team roster. Delfino playing the point? I'm so confused. Don't a bunch of our forumites have him on their depth charts backing up Tay? :confused: So Delfino can play the 1, the 2, and the 3? Damn. Let's give him some playing time and rest our starters regularly next season. :nod:

Also check out the snazzy website for the FIBA championships. All the info you could need about every team with feature stories, coach and player interviews. You can spend hours on that website if you are basketball starved in the offseason. Here's the link to Argentina team and player info for the Delfino fans in the house.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/tea.......&langLC=en&eventID=3507&langID=1

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This horse is glue already... I'll be interested to see what he actually does with his PT.

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Merc, what are you saying about Delfino here? That he is done as a Piston? That Joe will trade him because of his remarks to Argentina press? That he won't get playing time because of Flip Murray and Ronald DuPree? That he is done as an NBA player period? Please elaborate.

The guy is playing great right now, outplaying Ginobili for crying out loud. Yeah, it's not the NBA but it counts for something doesn't it? He's showing effort, will, hustle and getting results. I think it's a little early to pronounce him horse glue. Perhaps you are referring to some rumored trade I haven't heard about.

Delfino, a Detroit Pistons bench player, is outplaying two NBA starters on his own team: San Antonio Spurs starter Ginobili and Chicago Bulls starter Nocioni! Whether it "translates to the NBA" or not, it's impressive.

Besides, I like that we have at least one Detroit Piston in this FIBA World Championships. Chauncey isn't on the roster for this summer, as he is in "a family way" and also doing the motivational speaking for the USA team. :laugh:
    Re Delfino: He's no Mo Evans, but he's our no Mo Evans!:eyebrows:

13. Slippy

:deadhorse Is what he's saying. IMO, if you've got some enthusiasm for the way a piston player is performing...keep posting about it. The biggest X factor now is seeing if Flip can capitalize on Delfinos skill set instead of making him another mo evans.

14. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

Carlos is playing the 1/2 spot in Argentina, hes not listed as a s. forward. Maybe the 3 isnt his most natural position. Flip definately needs to find a way to bring Delfinos game out. Because if he can play that good off of Argentina's bench there is no reason he cant excel off of ours. Give Delfino 18-25 mins!

15. Slippy

This is why I was groaning when we signed FlipM. I am hoping that Flip at 1, Carlos at 2, Tay at 3...for a few minutes at a time. You've got adequate passing/ballhandling with Tay and somewhat so with Delfino and scoring with Flip and Tay.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The "Glue" reference is that the subject of Delfino not getting enough PT has been beaten to death (the horse is glue already)...
    His recent play is encouraging... his lack of loyalty is discouraging.... Flip is the evil deed doer etc etc etc... it's been rehashed at nauseum.

The only thing new is the game reports (thanks FP)

Here's the question I have...
    How committed to staying with the team is Carlos... is he more interested in winding up in Barcelona after his contract is over?... If that's the case then why invest time that could be used developing another young player (Amir)...
    The risk is losing both players.

17. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Ha! Like we'd develop a player let alone another player.

18. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I read an article a while back about Carlos, where he stated that on the Argentine team, he played all 3 spots. But he was most comfortable at the 2.

Honestly, he may be a great 2 in the INTL game, but I don't see in translating into a 2 in the NBA. Especially with Flip Murray around now. I think he'll have to make his impact backing up Tay at the 3. So really he just has to outplay Dupree (I don't see Amir making an impact this season, and if he does, I'd be very surprised if it were at the 3).

19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:doh: OHHHHH....Never Mind ...(voiceover by Gilda Radner)

20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

why do fans demand loyalty to a team that isn't loyal to the young players??? the pistons have had no interest in any young player besides tay and some of you fans moan and groan when one of them wants out. when any employer doesn't take care of thier workers there will be trouble. how loyal would you be to an employer that keeps lying to you at a bargain rate??

how committed has the team been to keeping carlos?? is the team more interested in winning another 60 games and keeping the starting 5 streak going??