Delfino traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That's cool, man. What worries me about that log is what he had to say about Amir and that current coaching staff has no expectations of him, which was kind of strange.

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It sure is, but it makes me question McCosky more than anything. Mo McHone didn't hesitate to drool all over Amir whenever the opportunity presented itself, so I can't believe that something is lacking that only a coaches eyes can see.

The biggest proof to the contrary is probably what Joe mentioned, which is that every time Amir has gotten time, he has produced.

Something Darko didn't do, and Delfino doesn't always do.

We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the coach thing is overblown and Amir will get a fair chance.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Amir will get his chance, Joe will make sure of it. I think Flip has to go through with that because his job is hanging in balance as it is. The question is whether he'll produce enough to support all the hoopla. I sure hope so, I'd love for the guy to lead the team.

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly. I'm still mad about that move. That was simply dumb- a couple of years ago, Joe was the one to make other GMs look silly. These day, the opposite seems to be the case. Too bad.

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have one thing to sya....NEXT.

Joe has made the first move, I believe that Joe is beginning the cleansing process, therefore, move #1, he is definitely going for G. Hill.

Little birdy sat on my windowsill and declared that the negotiations are finished with Hill, they discussed it over dinner, Hill is in.

Really, what team would give up anything significant or anything we could use to better our bench for Delfino.

Face it; Delfino could/would not garner that type of action.

If someone called Dumars with a trade that would bring us a significant piece, we would have heard about it. Maybe he could have packaged him with someone else, I am sure he tried to get something in return, unfortunately, no one in the league thought that highly of Delfino's game, at least at hope this was the case.

I am satisfied with the move as long as it opens up the rotation for AJ, Amir & Acker.

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If cleaning process means removing a proven bench player who is 24 years without getting anything in return, JoeD must be plain stupid. What sense does it make to shorten an already thin bench???
    Grant Hill? I liked that idea at first, but not to make him come instead of a young player but in addition to him. This team's old already, why removing young players and adding old ones? Experience matters, but it's not enough to win ships as we found out the last 3 years.
    AJ and Amir play completely different positions than Delfino. And Acker is still not a proven NBA player. Delfino is. He simply ain't no SF as Saunders was too dumb to discover.

7. cdecember

cdecember First Round Draft Pick

I completely agree with your post my friend. Dumars has done a lot for this town since he took over. He brought us every one of the four all stars, and soon to be five with Tay, to this team via trade or FA signings. So the past three years we got rid of guys that didnt deserve the money or playing time. Okur is a good player but here is the thing at the time he wanted way to much money for what he was worth. Darko well we all know that the kid will be decent but not the next Dirk. Arroyo was to much of a headcase and wanted a lot of money for a back up. Ben wanted his pay day at the time where his skills will be diminshing. and now Delfino...I was a little upset at first but then I started to realize something...Dumars has a plan to play the younger players next year. Whether it be more playing time for MAX, Amir, Acker of he comes back, or even the great Cheik Samb(never even seen him play) and our new rookies, he wants to get the young guys playing time so when Rasheed, Chauncey, Rip and McDyess leave our team...Tay isnt the only scoring option. Thats my take. Good luck to Delfino he should be happy and good luck to Joe cause I know he is going to pulll something big this summer.

8. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

AJ and Amir are actually the same person.

And we'll likely be replacing a 24 yr old Delfino with an aging veteran and a rookie - not exactly getting older.

9. max

max All-Star

Lets put this in percpective. Delfino was a 2nd round pick and Dumars got 2 in return.

Delfino did not play much in the playoffs but he did play a respectable 16.7 MPG and he played in all 82 games. Not a single DNP.

5.2 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 1.1 APG, 0.56 SPG, 0.1 BPG, 0.415 FG%, 0.333 3-pt%

Not exactly burning up the stat sheet.

10. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Not to be an idiot or anything, and i definitely believe we need to get younger, but i want to point out that San Antonio is the oldest team in the league, and i believe we're second oldest. Clearly that should show that experience, and age, do not have to be a anchors. The Achilles heel is Playing Time.

11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Trying to hide him in the NBDL didn't work so now they are trying to bash him publicly to save some cash. Better hope that AJ knows this is just a ploy and that this isn't how the staff really feels.

He has seen how it works out for players the staff isn't high on; Darko, Arroyo and Delfino.

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I have had a few days to let the trade settle. What really bothers me about this trade is that we had a young player that was always trying to get his teammates easier shots on offense and was a very good defensive player (considering he hadn't played defense on a lot of these players before).

Ball movement with our roster was a major problem in the times when we hit our scoring droughts this year. We gave up an unselfish, young player ( sometimes too unselfish) and kept Flip (one-on-five) Murray.

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually he was a late 1st round pick (#25). But I agree with the gist of your post, that his market value probably wasn't much higher than what Joe got for him.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure Joe would have traded him to the West if he could have found a better offer.

15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As I've previously stated, I'm fine with losing Delfino, as long as we actually have a PLAN for replacing him. As well as several backup plans if plan A falls through.

My question is, why trade him now? People are saying that the Pistons are planning on using their 15 pick to replace him, but a lot can happen with picks 1-14 that can mess that up. It isn't like we have the 1st pick and can choose anyone we want without fear of losing him to someone ahead of us. There are 14 teams ahead of us in the draft.

Some say that Joe plans on replacing him with a FA, perhaps Grant Hill. Again, why trade him now? Unless the player has physically signed the contract, he can back out all he wants. Verbal agreements and "handshake deals" mean nothing. See Carlos Boozer.

More than anything, I guess I'm just a bit worried that the Ben Wallace Experience will repeat itself. We lose our guy, don't have a plan to replace him, then panic and sign Nazr Mohammed.

Do I trust that Joe has a master plan, and this is only step one? Not really. I HOPE that's the case, but I wouldn't say I trust it's the case. My blind "Trust Joe" mentality has taken a good beating in recent years. I need results.

16. max

max All-Star

For some reason I am not too worried about running into him in the post-season.

This could be a move to clear roster space for the 2 ist round picks and even for someone like Acker.

I would not be shocked if Murry was dumped as well.

D4E - thanks for the info.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see Murray going anywhere. He's cheap and he's the only guy on our current bench, other than J-Max, that attacks the rim and looks for his own shot.

He isn't a PG, but it isn't his fault he's been misrepresented. No one faults Rip for not being a C.

18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think you overlooked AJ. Of course if you were thinking in terms of the 2007 playoffs you are of course correct.

:hoops:

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Before we annoint AJ as the ultimate rim attacker, I think we should wait until he does it against NBA forwards!!!!!!!:MusicBigGrin:

On a consistent basis.........

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

In his post season presser Joe hinted that the SG position was up for grabs when he mentioned "Ackers" name. CDs lack of stature on this team was as much his own fault as it is Saunders, and not much of Joes. Unless Carlos is incredibly stupid he had two seasons to recognize a huge need, and become our premier scorer off of the bench. Joe cleared the way last off season by dumping Mo Evans, and Carlos capitalized on the opportunity by comming back with only a slightly improved 3pt J and no midrange game to speak of. When the firmly established starter (Rip) is still working on and adding to his game what does it say about a wannabe who doesn't.

In what has become typical fashion Saunders failed Los just as he has every bench guy except Dice & Lindsey by not rewarding the occasional excellent performance with significant followup PT. Oh well, whats done is done. We won't know if that flaw is corrected until sometime next season.

Compliments of Massimo, Alex Ackers numbers may not indicate strong PG qualities but sure look good for a SG.

33:52 (min) 50% (2pt) 30.8% (3pt) 88.5% (FT) 6.5 (Rbs) 2.7 (ast) 2.0 (st) 3.2 (TO)"

Out with the old, in with the new.