Delfino traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

Delfino did play in all 82 games and avg almost 17 MPG.

Its not like he did not get a chance.

He is not going to be another Ginobili, he is not going to win a 6th man of the year award. He may not even be in the NBA when his contract ends since he has expressed a desire to go back home to Argentina on several occasions. Not sure how he feels now after his 1st NBA season of real PT but that was what he way saying before.

Tried him out last season and it did not work out as expected.

It would have been nice if Dumars had gotten more but that probably was all he could get for him. Those 2nd round picks can come in handy as trade fodder.

If you want to make a stand I don't see this one as a worthy cause.
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

My only disappointment with trade kind of lies in an unanswerable question. Could Carlos have been packaged with pick #15 to move up in the draft, thus filling one of the needs Joe expressed in his interviews. Low post guy that wants only to work on the block, or speedy guy able to create for self and others.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't know guys, Fino with 20 -25 minutes nightly. You know he can exlpode some nights.
    Bottom line---Raps win more games next season.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Unfortunately, Carlos hasn't shown consistently that he can be that explosive force. It's part Flip's fault as well.
  5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if there's a lot of GMs out there would be willing to move down in a supposedly deep draft just to pick up a guy who is seen as a backup swingman.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Most of the stuff JD touches turns gold.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You can pick up guys with Delfino's veterancy and #s pretty easily in free agency, and maybe even for a minimum contract which means the free agent would be cheaper.

The plus for Delfino is that he may still have a significant upside. Of course that is mitigated by his pending free agency next offseason.
  8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Backup Swingman??

You would think Los is the next comming from some of the comments here. :)
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

c'mon now. wallace was the face of the franchise. we're talking about an easily replaceable backup SG/SF.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Delfino was not proven, however, he was very inconsistent and erratic, his window of opportunity closed, get it right, he was not proven by any stretch of the imagination not now not ever.

Secondly, irregardless of what position we are talking about, a roster spot opened up for someone else, whether it is a center, a SF, SG, PG, whatever, by the time JD finishes, other postions will open up.

If experience doesn't matter, I guess I did not just witness the Spurs win the NBA Title, I guess it was a figment of my imagination...oops.

By the way, did you realize that Delfino was traded on the 15th of June, he's gone, finished as a pistons, salavee, move on, get over it, hopefully he didn't let the door hit him where the good lord split him.
  11. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Delfino was a 1st Round pick at # 25 I think.
  12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

13. max

max All-Star

Yes he was a 1st rounder. I had forgotten that he played oversees for a year and that why he has one more year left. I think anyway.

I don't have any hard feelings over this. He got what he thinks will help his career so we will see how he does over there.

He played quit a bit last season so it would be nice if those writers acknowledged that. 16.7 MPG is no chump change for a bench guy, I would not call that languishing. He did not play much in the post-season though. Considering the steller job the starters did in the ECF I can see how he could be upset. Or maybe he thinks he can be a starter over there.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    In 3 years in Detroit he really didn't get much of a chance. Yes he got some minutes, but it was highly irregular. Remember, how many times during the game he would come in play about 10 minutes of really good ball in the 1st half and then wouldn't leave the bench at all in the 2nd? I bet if he consistently got the minutes and he knew he was going in it would help his development? This is not just physical, this has a very big mental aspect to it. I am not saying that he's going to flourish in Toronto, maybe what we've seen is the best he can do, but we won't find it out until he plays consistent minutes.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Now it makes sense that we got two 2nds from Toronto. When Joe dealt Mo, he sent him to a decent situation. Carlos is going to a good situation and we get $.25 on the dollar. Movin' on.
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I always liked Delfino. I think he'll do well in Toronto and wish him the best.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

he also needed to be free to play his game and make a few mistakes. I know that this team made a name for itself on its execution but man it was like sticking a square peg in a round hole. I think its our insistence on Hunter as the primary ballhandler for the 2nd unit. I like hunter a lot. Love his defense. But he sucks running the open court. I wish we could have played an uptempo game when we took CB, C-Webb, and Sheed out. imagine rip, tay, delfino, maxiell all running. at the very least it couldn't have been worse than seeing those guys watch 2 starters try to carry the bench and dyess firing up jumpers from 18 feet.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He averaged almost 17 minutes per game, and with no DNPs, so I don't think it's mathematically possible for him to have played no 2nd half minutes at all very often this past season. Playoffs, yes, but I don't remember it happening very much during the regular season.

And as Warthog said in one of these threads, how many games can we point to and say that Delfino was really a difference maker? And how many can we point to and say the same thing for JMax? Basically none for Delfino, but several for JMax. And this in spite of Delfino getting more minutes, and on a more consistent basis (again, no DNPs this past season for Delfino, as opposed to 15 for JMax).

This isn't to say that Delfino isn't an OK bench player, or that making this trade and nothing else is noticeably going to improve the Pistons (but I don't think Joe's done). But the "we don't know how good he could have been because he didn't get enough minutes" argument vis-a-vis Delfino doesn't really fly with me. JMax is proof positive that a bench player can significantly impact games even without getting consistent minutes or a regular spot in the rotation, and that clearly means he should get more minutes this coming year, to capitalize on the potential he showed. But I don't see any convincing reason to expect that much more upside from Delfino.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I really like JMax's game but someone needs to help him improve his foul shooting. For him this is so critical because his main game is taking it to the rack and if he can't shoot at least 70% and preferably 75$ - 80$ from the charity stripe it negates a lot of the positive that could come out of his power moves.

Duncan can get away with a career free throw shooting percentage of 68%. Well, if JMax becomes as good on offense as Duncan I will gladly settle for him shooting only 68% from the charity stripe.

:hoops:
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Before the series, if Cleveland had not given Boobie Gibson a chance, how many of us would have guessed he would be a difference maker in several games?

AJ, Max, and Delfino. Yeah...I think maybe we see a different result. It couldn't be worse than it was, can it?