Delfino traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think the Cavs Gibson was a second round pick.

:hoops:

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't like this move. Well, that's not entirely true. I like it for the Raptors and Delfino, but not for the Pistons.

I like Carlos well enough, but I don't give a flying flip if this is a good move for him. I care if it's good for the Pistons. So to me, it's a bad trade.

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter either way. Delfino wasn't going to get any PT in Detroit and neither are the 2 second rounders, so basically, we just swapped 1 bench warmer for 2 future ones. However, we also made a Conference rival better in the process.

I think Carlos will do really well in T.O. He's a solid energy guy and I'd expect him to form a great 1-2 energy punch with Calderon off the bench.

I believe there's at least 1 other NBA team that could use a solid energy guy off the bench to help give the starters a bit of a breather. Oh yeah, it was us.

The more I think about this trade, the more it makes me mad. Not because I'm mad we lost Carlos, or because I'm mad that we got nothing in return for him. I'm mad because of the pathetic doublespeak, hypocrisy and lack of a plan that it represents for this organization.

I'm not happy.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Then you won't like hearing that Andre Racicot is making a comeback for les Habitants next season.

4. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I know some of you are somewhat sad over this move but I think Joe is making the right move both for us and for Delf. Lets face it folks Delf never really panned out to be the player that we thought he was supposed to be in this system. You guys may vehemetly disagree with me but this team is built around toughness, intellligence, and execution. Although we faltered horribly this post-season in these three aspects these are our mainstays. Delf in my opinion was not the smartest of players (bone-head plays at the end of games often) routinely missed easy shots in the regular season and the playoffs(execution).

I know for a fact that Joe is putting himself in postion to get a solid back-up for Tay as oppose to a acquiring a Rashard Lewis for Tay to back up. Tay has way to much pride and would demand a trade and so he should if this happens (Tay is a future all-star) I like where Joe is going with this thing. All we have to do now is lose C-Webb, Nazr, Flip, Davis and we will automatically be in better position to have a better bench in my opinion. I would keep Max for sure, Dice and give Amir good burn this year (in the range of 15-20 min a game). You have to free up space both physical and cap to improve this underachieving bench we had the prior season.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm hoping this is Joe's opening for Amir.

6. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Since 2004, we have taken one step forward and two steps back with nearly every move. I know Joe's hands were tied on some of the moves, and I really like some of the untested talent in the wings but even Joe says they may not be ready for "years."

I guess it's hard to really say too much without seeing the whole picture after the draft, FA signings and additional trades.

Maybe Joe's strategy is to have 4 starters and 5 players under the age of 24 to force Flip to find new guys to stand around behind the 3 point line on offense.

The only thing I can say for sure is that I wish Joe had been able to ship Nancy with a move like this. I guess this demonstrates just how awful the contract really is.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

While I am bummed Delfino got shipped out, you can't underestimate the value of future picks. There are a bunch of project talents or deep sleepers that are worth high 2nd picks. We are almost never in a position to take advantage of that because we are near the bottom of the draft.

8. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I think this move signals one of the following things:

1. Taking a SG/SF with the #15 pick in the Draft, my money being on either Nick Young or Rodney Stuckey.

2. Alex Acker will return to the lineup and Joe D wants to free up as much playing time for him as possible.

3. Delfino wasnt happy with his role on the Pistons, and asked Joe D for a trade.

4. Joe D is infact an idiot.

I must admit, I have never been much of a Delfino fan, although he was starting to grow on me this season, I'm not so much dissapointed to see him go, as I am the fact we got jack sh*t in return for him. The asking price should've at the very least been a future 1st rounder or a deal for Jose Calderon.

Maybe Joe D has somthing up his sleeve, but I dont really see how this deal helps any future plans, other than freeing up time and space to take a SG in the Draft.

:ohwell:

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"Red Light" Racicot can burn in the eternal flames of hell.:gun1:

10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

G Hill should be back in Motown IMO...

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to go with 4 out of 4. As a Piston's fan, I am extremely upset. As a Delfino fan, I think this is the best that could have happened to him. A la Darko. Carlos will get PT next year, and will earn himself a payday for his next contract.

Joe needs to look in a mirror and answer some questions. Why get young players if you never use them? And why do you give players away?

Carlos will be the starting 3 next year in Toronto. They'll probably trade TJ or Calderon for a serviceable center, and you have one more team that has improved in the East, while the Pistons get worse.

Pistons projected lineup next year: CB, Rip, Tay, Sheed, garbage. Bench: Amir, Jmax, Murray, and a rookie.

No backup center, small forward, or point guards. Just a bunch of tweeners. A short two who thinks he's a point, a short PF, who should be a 3, and a too tall 3, not strong enough to be a 4.

Didn't Joe say he WOULDN'T have a fire sale? Delfino for a couple of shares of Ford?

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

After watching Chauncey this post-season I don't know if we should pair him up with one of the greatest late game playoff chokers in Pistons history.

If I had to see Chauncey bumbling and fumbling with the basketball while Grant Hill was slipping and tripping all over the place shaking like Don Knotts everytime he smelled a trap I would seriously consider putting my eyes out.

13. McSheed

McSheed Second Round Draft Pick

Agree 100% C-Webb, Davis, and Nazr are decent C/PF(and are not exactly getting younger), but we need a dominant center, who is, key word here: consistent. I am of course surprised by this trade, and we didn't exactly get the best value, but this frees space. maby a 2/3. Tay would definitly not allow Rashard to start, he has been nothing but consistent for them, and, as Explosivity said, he is a future all-star.

14. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Well now I'm officially a Toronto Raptors fan. I still love the Pistons but I'm a huge Fino fan as well so I can root for both teams now. The Raptors are truly an international team and Carlos will fit right in with their style of play. After watching him languish on the bench during the playoffs I knew he was going to be on the phone with his agent and ask for a trade. No wonder Joe D. sounded a little grumpy being interviewed the last few days. He just lost an athletic energetic young gun that only has upside being his best years are in front of him. So now Tay can play those 40 minutes per game despite his wearing out in the playoffs.

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think after Joe showed the latest LeBron James commercial with Tayshaun running away from the dunk like a scared kid a few times in a row Prince would realize who is and isn't calling the shots.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Count me in. Detroit was the 2nd oldest team last year, so Joe's solution is to make the team older. I will not cheer for a team that is doing everything in its power to return to the Teal age.

Have to wonder if Millen is giving Joe advice. There is no hope. This team will not get out of the first round next year. We will not make the playoffs the year after. And after that, it's back to Teal.

Detroit basketball is dead for the next 10 years.

17. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I don't think we have lost that much. Delfino is a good defender, but his outside shooting was woefully inconsistent. I presume Joe shopped Delfino to a number of teams and maximized what he could get in return. If other teams really saw a lot of potential in Delfino, then I think we have gotten more value in this trade than he did. Does anybody really believe that Joe missed an opportunity to get substantially more in return from either Toronto or some other team?

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Again, stating the obvious...I would have liked to see Joe package Nazr in the deal for Mo Pete.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is that a statement or a curse? Either way, I'm laughing.

20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

joe hasn't been known to do well in trades that involve an unhappy player. delfino has asked to be traded several times so teams knew he wanted out which hurts joe's position in a trade. i think joe missed an oppurtunity to get more in return without a doubt. 2 second round picks who probably won't make the team. joe could have got mo evans back and that would have been a better trade.