Delfino traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2007.

1. McSheed

McSheed Second Round Draft Pick

I agree but just look at this, Note: Against LeBron

[​IMG]

Also: Hopefully this trade will work for us, hopefully we'll get quality picks, and we will pick up a solid 2/3 backup
  2. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I dont think that is the case at all, I just think its a confusing period right now for Detroit Basketball, because lets face it, the team is performing, just not to the level of a champion, and the question lays, do you break this team up or what?
  3. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Now that the shock has worn off for me, I'm really glad for Delfino. Dumars has always said if you want to be traded just ask him and he'll pull the trigger. Look at Fino's stats they are very intriguing. He's got more rebounds than Maxiell, made more 3 point shots than Rip and if anyone keeps stats on taking charges, Delfino leads in that category. I watched almost all the Pistons games this year on NBA League Pass just to keep track of Carlos so I know his game really well. He's got to be a happy camper going to a team that has such an international flavor. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about the trade. I bet Rasheed his not very happy, he seemed to really like Fino. He was tugging on him and playing with him during the warm-ups.
  4. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

One thing is for sure, Delfino's popularity with the fans was far greater than his performance on the court would suggest....which makes this seem like a much bigger deal than it really is.

In the grand scheme of things he can probably be replaced with pieces we already have.

I'm more disappointed that we were not able to move Nazr in this deal, but hopefully that is coming soon.
  5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I am willing to give Joe the benefit of the doubt here, and assume that he got maximum trade value for Delfino -- or, to put it another way, that he got "market value" for Delfino. You may be right in saying that Delfino's trade value at this time was reduced somewhat because there was a widespread perception that he wanted out. But I am still willing to credit Joe for getting the most he could at this time in exchange for Delf. I won't let Joe off the hook for his past drafting mistakes and for his apparent decision to recommend the hiring of Flip once Bill D. decided to let Larry go, but I still am willing to assume that he knows how to shop players and get maximum (or close to maximum) value in return.
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's the last stage of denial, acceptance.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

TheStar.com - Sports - Raptors acquire Delfino from Pistons

:hoops:
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I don't know if you should or shouldn't break up the team. But what you shouldn't do is give up assets for nothing, and give them to teams in your own conference.

Losing Delfino did not make us worse, just like losing Darko did not make us worse. But those moves did do, is weakened our chances of improving by giving away future prospects for nada, and making competing teams stronger.

Darko will start next year. Delfino will probably start, or at least play 20 mpg. And in return we got zippo. And we replaced Darko with Nazr, don't want to imagine who we replace Delfino with.

It seems every move we make is not to make the team better, but to either free up salary, or take the pressure off of starters.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just want to tell you guys I love reading all of the perspectives and opinions on this trade. Every time I think I have it figured out, someone posts something else for me to consider.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hopefully we are being fed Buffalo wings and not Buffalo Chips!:twitch:
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I am ok with the trade. We need a perimeter lock down type guy. Delfino is just not quick enough to do that.

We need a scorer off the bench. As Micro said, Delfinos shot is an adventure.

The kid has gotten better and has skills but his is the not fit for what we need.

This means Joe IS really up to something and it is not just talk like last year.
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i would be ok with the trade if we got that back from toronto.

to me this means joe is doing the same thing he's did since the championship. lose good young talent and get nothing in return.
  13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Silver lining.

Have to believe that Delfino demanded the trade. Now Joe may finally realize that youth has to be given minutes, otherwise they will go to another team.

Hence, expect Amir and JMax to get some serious minutes next year. And expect the draft pick to be given minutes right away.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't say that until we draft the Darko do-over pick. Or 4 years after that so we know what we got.

I was thinking about that. No way Joe will be able to sit 2 first rounders so easily this time around.
  15. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I was initially not pleased with this trade but I'm okay with it. I don't agree with the people that say we got nothing in return. If I recall, Ben Wallace wasn't even good enough to get drafted. We now have two chances to get this right. It's not like Delfino was going to be a franchise saver. Plus it gives us some cap room that we need.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Last comment on this, because I'm kind of numb. But I hear a lot of people talking about how we did this to get Mo Pete. So we traded Delfino for a guy that played behind the guy (Joey Graham) that Delfino is going to replace? And got 2 2nd round picks.

Joe has to go.
    Okur, Arroyo, Darko, MoEvans, Ben, and Delfino for a grand total of one first rounder, three 2nd rounders, Cato, Nazr, Flip, and Super Dupe.

At what point does Joe actually start improving the team. Every move Joe has made over the last 3 years has made this team older, and worse.
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Right, Buck. Delfino was a late first-round draft pick. Unless one thinks he has tremendous upside that hasn't yet been realized because of the dastardly deeds of Flip Sr. (as I said upthread, I'm not of that opinion), two second-rounders sounds about like market value for him. With Amir on the way to more minutes and a probable one or two other new guys looking to get minutes as well, either from the two first-round picks or maybe another trade involving one of them, that's a crowded rotation with Delfino still around. Admittedly, the second round picks coming back don't help us right now, and they don't usually amount to much in the long run. But again, if you're any sort of believer in Amir's upside, you can't definitely say that they're always worthless.
  18. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

We traded Darko for a draft pick and Delfino for two draft picks. Not sure how this makes us older.
  19. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

This was a mutual benefit for both clubs. Obviously Delfino was not happy and new he was no longer part of any new directions the pistons would be taken. The Spanish lure is large and he will bit perfectly with the international game of Toronto.

A trade (even at the present time) might have been made with other clubs and value for the Pistons increased. The second round picks are throw-aways. The real reason is to free up space.

Now, most think that this is to free up the 15 spot for playing time. Could be the case. My money is on JD making a large player deal or multiple trades that hits the number 3 and 5 positions.

Myths might be tested this go-around.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

peace out, so long, glad you're gone. joe has been talking about having game-changers on the bench. maxiell can do it. amir can do it. delfino cannot. he just isn't good enough.

delfino is not the 2nd coming of manu. his basketball IQ suffers, his shot is streaky, he gambles too much on defense, and he doesn't get any respect from the refs against superstar players. he provided us with no energy or spark off the bench. his only benefit was to rest tay or rip once in awhile, and hope he didn't screw up on the court or miss too many shots.

you cannot name a single game from the past 3 years that delfino has made a lasting impact on. you can name several that maxiell has had.

delfino is a borderline starter on a lottery team, and a bench player on every other team in the league. getting two 2nd-rounders for him was more than fair.