Delfino traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree. Also I think we are going a bit overboard with the 9th or 10th best player on the team. He wasn't the second coming of Messiah. Lets just wait and see what else Joe does. I am sure he has more in the works.
  2. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

dumars must go? for trading delfino for 2 second round picks?

wow.

5 straight ECF appearances means very little in these parts.

I am going to suggest a little patience with Joe's summer plan.

wow. dumars must go?

that is just silly.
  3. mikhail1973

:p_welldone:
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

No doubt Joe has not stocked the team the last three years. It can't be just rookie development or no rookie development. We didn't bring in the established piece that made a difference. We tried with Arroyo. We tried with Webber. We brought Nazi and Murray. We kept Hunter.

But the Delfino move means that Joe means business. From the radio interview, I think he understands that a team at the top cannot stand still (he alluded to playing long in the playoffs for 5 years). That has been the biggest issue with me--standing still. Not Darko, Delfino, Arroyo, Murray, etc. not any one transaction. The problem is the result: the main guys have not been helped. So a young Cavs and the Stern rules could beat us. What looks good on paper is an illusion if you stand still in the NBA. Joe believe this year's finals was ours. I don't think he thinks that any more. The finals fiasco wasn't only the fault of Stern, it was the fault of our Pistons. We should have been there.

The Lakers are a classic example. The year they blew everyone away I told friends that there would be no dynasty because the team was starting to age at key positions. What did they do? They signed the young Devon George. The Lakers fans were happy. I thought, he is not good enough to make an impact. They barely beat Sac. the next year.

Dallas looked high and mighty. How long did they last? One year. I thought that is the same team that was beaten by Miami except now everyone knows their game. They have the same players. The result was worse.

Lets see if Joe brings in some proven talent. Playing the rookies is a given.

The problem is is all this going to be too late. Our window is closing. We need a real center. We need perimeter help. We need a penetrator to take advantage of the rules.

We do not have a coach who has been able to put things together. What about the coach?
  5. mikhail1973

Here is the view from the outside:

Pistons Trade Carlos Delfino to the Raptors - Sports Blog - The FanHouse
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Matt Watson is the owner of DetroitBadBoys.com. He's a sports celebrity blogger. I wouldn't say he is on the outside. He's a big Delfino fan. Although you probably didn't know that m73.
  7. mikhail1973

No, I didn't know that. I guess that's just another biased insider piece of info.

:yellowprison:
  8. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

:pound: :pound: :pound:
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm not surprised at this move one bit, and frankly agree with it. Delfino had some positive points. Rebounding, ball-handling, defense, particularly the passing lanes, and athleticism. Negative points included B-ball IQ, broke shot, and not a hard worker.

I bet Delfino told Joe he planned to take the summer off again, Joe said "OK;" and pulled the trigger.

Delfino did not show significant improvement in his third year. Given his practice habits, "elsewhere" is a better fit.

Time to go FA shopping. Monte Ellis anyone?
  10. mikhail1973

Is Monta a FA this year? What's his situation with Warriors?
  11. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree. I went from cold to lukewarm to warm. I like the trade. Delfino is a bench lifer and we have plenty of those. Dumars now has two chances to find a future starter. I like his chances to succeed.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Is there proof he was demanding a trade? This trade is interesting IMO. In the interviews, Joe mentioned that by the third year you know what you've got in a player. He also mentioned Amir and Maxiell without saying Delfino. I think Joe was going to cut bait on Delfino to free up space for a draft pick since the pickin's are slim outside of the SG/SF slots.

Toronto is the ideal place for him to go. He can battle those guys there for PT and if he comes out on top fine. Their style and culture seems very conducive to a foreign style player. I think given the opportunity to flow with an offense, he will do pretty good.

I think 2 2nds were pretty fair. If people want to complain about getting crap in return, we never really developed him to the point where he was worth more than 2 2nds. And like i said before, having extra 2nd round picks increase your 'farm' of prospect which you have the option of stashing overseas or in the d-league for a bit.

I think the lesson learned here is to not overvalue versatility. Delfino could do a lot of things but never developed anything he could hang his hat on during the short stints he was out there.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yeah, without Carlos "Michael Jordan" Delfino, I just don't see how this team can compete anymore. It's going to be a real b#$* to have to suit up for 82 games of futility for the next 10 years.

Good luck, Sheed, Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Jason, Amir, and pick #15 ... you'll need it.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good point Luke,

Delfino could do a lot of things but he did not change the game in any one area. I liked his rebounding best.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

His rebounding was/is very good. I liked his reverse dunks from the baseline. He was very smooth with that move.
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He will have a very good year for the Raps as long as Sam Mitchell uses him properly. I used to think maybe minutes was a key thing for him, but the biggest issue is his role on the team. If he gets the ball in his hands to create more often (that happend once every 2-3 games here), he will succeed even if he isn't playing 30mpg.

I really don't know what Joe is doing right now. Adamant on keeping Flip, and trading away rotation players (on a small contract at that, not a salary dump issue) for absolutely nothing? This team has been heading in the wrong direction since the moment we won the championship in '04. Is Joe buying into his own hype too much at this point? Seems like he thinks everything he does will turn to gold. Well, I couldn't tell you a good move he's made since drafting Maxiell/Amir 2 years ago. And before that it was signing McDyess. That is not a good percentage.

This better be a part of some master plan.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

:rofl:
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think it is.

Joe is Going To Work!
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, I obviously don't agree that we're going to tank next year, but Joe's moves have not been in the best interest of the team the last few years. Bringing in Flip. Waiting for the worst possible time to trade Darko, and not even getting a "win now" piece in return (not capitalizing on a great chance at winning a title). Losing Ben (because of his Flip hiring). Signing Nazr to an anchor of a contract. Trading away Delfino (our 7th man for much of the year) for nothing that helps us win right now. And likely the worst of all... NEVER getting a backup point guard. The biggest glaring hole on the team the last 3 years, and still nothing.

These pieces that we're dumping lately could have brought in players to help us win titles that were just withing our grasp the last 3 years, but Joe decided he'd wait until their value disappeared along with our championship window before dumping them for pocket change.
  20. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

This move only begins to anger me if we take a SG in the Draft.