Delfino vs Evans Round 3

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Just an interesting side note here.

According to FoxSports...

The last 5 games, Mo has played a total of 19 minutes while Delfino has played 42.

And if you watch the games, seems Flip has been going to Delfino as Tayshaun's 1st sub off the bench.

Not to mention the other night when Delfino was in during the 4th quarter of a tight game.

Perhaps, in Flip's mind, Delfino is Tay's sub, and Mo is sharing Rip's sub minutes with Delk.

I'm not rushing to judgement, just something to mull over.
  2. max

max All-Star

Evans has been slumping and Delfino's defense has improved 500% since the start of the season. At this time to me Delfino seems the clear winner.
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I just wish Flip would pick one and stay with him. He is getting in the habit of playing one of them for a few minutes in the first half, then the other gets the few minutes in the 2nd half. 5-6 minutes isn't enough to do anything. No player is going to play consistantly and play well with such inconsistant playing time. He needs to suck it up and play 1 of them for 15-20 minutes a game.

I'll take Delfino anyday because when his shot isn't going he can fall back on that defense of his, but I'll take either getting consistant minutes over this current situation.

I'm also not sure about this mini backcourt Flip has been using. If Chauncey is on the floor, I would much rather have Delfino out there at the SG spot than Delk. Delk should be out there only when Chauncey is off the floor, so he can have free reign to hoist up a few shots and see if he can catch fire. With Chauncey, I'd rather have the bigger and more physical defender out there.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino is the guy. Mo Evans should be out of the rotation.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Delfino rules, Evans drools!
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Lets` put it this way,come the post season there will not be enough quality minutes for both of them. If defense is the rule, then Delfino must play despite his offensive woes.

Evans is a hustle guy with suspect defense. He had his chance to show he can defend, and he didn`t come through. I see Delfino`s minutes increasing now and in the playoffs over Evans.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The him vs. him battle is for the most part ridiculous, except for the fact that playoff rotations are shorter, and both Evans and Delfino play the 2/3.

Offensively Delfino has been very mediocore. Forget what he can do, look at what he does do. But on defense, he's night and day better than Evans. I was scared out of my wits to see Evans late in the Bucks game, and yet he played within himself and helped the team.

Maybe Delfino would have done the same. Speculation is what makes for this entire debate.

Rather than worry about either/or, we should be happy that there are two swingmen backups on this team, and if Evans is the worse of the two, we are still lucky to have the depth.
  8. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

I would not go that far. If Evans really drooled he never would have been part of this team, even if Flip knew him from his former team. Mo has some talents JD and Flip are convinced about to be usefull to te team, otherwise he would not be here.
    The fact is however, those talents are not embarged in his defensive skils.

Delfino on the other hand has developed some great defense, fitting right in with the rest of the team. And just like others, I very much like
    to see him play. I guess it's the tick about defensive play we all have. Otherwise we would have another team to cheer about.

I agree with other posters, that come playoff time defense will be the main priority. I guess that's the reason Delfino is getting more minutes now, because Pistons are notching up defense the last few games. I also think he will get most of the minutes during the post season.
    But I won't be surprised if Mo also would get some nice minutes, doing some great stuff. When the situation is asking for it, he will get a chance to show off some of his talents.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

delfino has clearly won

it's a misconception that delfino isn't good on the offensive end. he is more of a rythm jumpshooter. his jumpshot isn't instant on off the bench like delk. he does however make up for this by creating shots for other players with his drives and turnovers from his defense. he also makes sure he feeds the post. my only complaint with delfino offensively is that he will pass to whoever is open (ben) instead of getting the ball to a scorer.

yes. evans is a better spot up jumpshooter. i'll give him that over delfino from what i've seen so far. the clear edge overall including stats and "intangible's" goes to delfino. we simply get a bigger spark with delfino on the court.
  10. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Re: delfino has clearly won

I do believe flip is just playing one guy a couple games and another guy the next couple games. Which isn't good for either guy in terms of getting into a groove. Flip seems confused as to what to do with them. Flip is going to have to make a choice or someone is going to make him make a choice and it is going to be delf.
  11. FreshPrince22

Re: delfino has clearly won

So much for that... Delfino DNP tonight. I figured he'd be great against these no interior D teams, because he can get to the rim, but I guess Flip doesn't agree with me.
  12. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Given their recent opportunities neither has done anything to suggest their clearly evident weaknesses are improving. Might as well stamp each of them as a work in progress for 06-07.
    We are fast reaching the point where I don't want to have our playoff fortune depend on either one. I don't expect to see much of either one beyond the 2nd round.
  13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'm confused about the rap against Delfino's offense. Admittedly, his shot is bad, but it's not worse than Hunter's, and Delfino brings as much D against the 2's and 3's as Hunter does against the point. And Delk can not guard the 2, while his offense has only been slight better than Delfino's.

Don't get it, I think there is something personal going on between Flip. I don't think Flip is playing Evans because he thinks he's better, I think Flip simply doesn't want to play Carlos. Kind of like LB in the NJ triple OT couple of years back. Sheed and Ben foul out, the obvious choice is to put in Okur, but LB was so mad at Okur, that he put in Darvin.

I don't think we'll see much of either Evans or Delfino in the playoffs. Evans D is simply too much of a liability. He is incapable of staying in front of his man.
  14. basketbills

16 I think Delfino should play more too...but a statement like the above make me question whether you are actually watching the games. Hunter's defense changes the entire tone of the game....are you missing that or just not able to watch as many games as you'd like?
  15. FreshPrince22

IMO, Delfino is just as much a game changer on the defensive end. Lindsey has great moments defensively and not so great moments defensively. Both Stack and Mo Williams recently were lighting him up. Delfino is just as capable at locking someone down and frustrating them as Lindsey is at this point in his career. That's where the difference is IMO, not with Lindsey. I think some people can't get over what Carlos was like defensively earlier in his career to see what he's like now.

and 16 Mile, I agree about Delk. Delk's shooting 37% from the field, and I don't hear anyone saying anything. Not only that, he takes bad shots (Carlos doesnt), and also misses wide-open shots like Carlos. If Delfino threw up 6-8 shots a game, he'd put some more points on the board as well. Plus Delk's just an average defender. I don't understand why he has earned these extended minutes while Delfino rides the pine.
  16. basketbills

Has he gone downhill already?
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice to see an objective opinion...
    Anyone that thinks Delfino or Evans has been up to the task may be sniffing the good stuff...A veteran player is much less of a risk... Stack didn't go off on us by accident... he's been there and can be counted on... with our backup SG/SF's (not including Delk) it's a crap shoot... with emphasis on the crap.

Yes, we still have to develop some youth at some point... I just hope it doesn't end up costing us a critical playoff game.
    Sure wish Carlos would hit some of those open shots (he's received more PT than Evans lately)... it's not very comforting.
    Delfino hasn't slowed anyone down lately on defense either... although it's obvious that he's a better defender than Mo.

What we really need is a young player that's already been developed by another team.

I was thinking that we still could trade Darko for Harrington...
    If we packaged the Orlando pick with a contract for Al (or preferably our own pick) in a S&T this summer.
  18. FreshPrince22

huh? :confused: I'm talking about how bad he was last year. He had the rep of an awful defender (rightly so). Sometimes it takes a while to shed that reputation even if it's right there in front of your eyes. I think he's better defensively than alot of people give him credit for even now.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So what team is most likely to make a play for Fino?
    Suns
    6ers
    Bucks
  20. basketbills

Here is a quote from his pre-draft profile...Strengths: an excellent individual defender...that is something we talked about often before Carlos finally arrived....so a guess a big "huh" goes right back to you. You haven't been paying much attention. And if you think he is on the defensive level of Lindsey Hunter you are beyond hope.

Merc nailed it when he wrote....
    Delfino hasn't slowed anyone down lately on defense either... although it's obvious that he's a better defender than Mo.

I like Carlos a lot but let's be realistic...or at least watch some of the games for Pete's sake!