Delfino wants out Again!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Ok here's my translation - - not far off from the Google one and certainly not up to the standards of the Professor.

He says he has offers from Washington and the Lakers

Delfino wants to leave Detroit and they won’t let him.

Mar Del Plata (special delivery) “I want to leave Detroit, but they don’t want me to; they won’t let me. I have one more year of my contract and another year with a team option,” said Carlos Delfino, a player from the Pistons in the NBA, soon after arriving in Mar del Plata and concentrating on the selection.

“I had a very interesting offer from Washington and another from the Lakers and Denver, but Detroit does not want to trade me within the NBA. If they let me go, it will be to Europe. The offer from Barcelona is certain; they want to take me, but I am more interested in returning to Italy, from which I’ve also received calls,” added the Santa Fe native, with obvious resignation.

“I believe that nothing will be defined until after the World Championships. There is still time, but I feel like a prisoner, if I am not going to have minutes, I don’t want to stay in Detroit; they know that,” he said.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Isn't that tampering? Maybe we can get their picks AND keep Carlos. :)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is so fishy it's not even funny.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPORTS03/607190368/1048/SPORTS
    July 19th.

Now Delfino claims to have (presumed through his agent) communication with Washington, LAL and Denver.

If true, that's either

1) Tampering.
    2) With permission after July 18th.
    3) With permission since the end of the season.

This guy has one definite bad habit. He gets very macho with his home press. Even if he wants out and is being allowed to look for a deal, it's never wise to make your GM look like a liar.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Obviously I don't know the entire situation, but from what I know and have seen, I wouldn't trust a thing Joe or Flip said either.

Sure they traded Mo, but then they went right out and brought in Flip Murray (this year's Delk) and Dupree (this year's Mo). Actions speak louder than words.

Its hard to blame Carlos for wanting out. However wanting out and crying to the media are 2 different things entirely. Both sides have handled it poorly.

The Pistons really need to work on their communication, treatment and development of their young players.

5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

These euro players want to be coddled and cooed at and spoon fed minutes along with their daily burping and diaper change.

Not happening in Detroit. We should stop drafting them and stick to players from Big Strong conferences that do well in the NCAA's.

Rozone should be fired and Joe should concentrate on the good ole USA. Leave the Darko's and the Delfino's for Toronto and Orlando. They all end in O anywho.

6. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

I agree with this. Darko is a flop and Delfino isn't far behind. He is not a poor man's Ginobli. He is not even average. It doesn't matter if guys complain. If they have skills and fit into the scheme they will play. Delfino doesn't fit. He doesn't score enough, his defense is weak. What impact does he make? Mo played more because he made a bigger impact. Dupree does too (at least defensively). If I were Joe, I would let him go when a good deal comes around. I also agree that Ronzone has not brought in anyone good from overseas. I would stay away from the European guys as they are still soft and don't have much heart (re: Nowitski). Concentrate on guys from the big programs that do well in the NCAA's.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko is better than all the centers we have on our team currently.

delfino's d is weak?? he played jefferson, wade, lebron better than anybody on the pistons roster. you obviously don't know what you are talking about. big program players aren't sure things either. very rarely do they go # 2 anyway ever since the high schoolers were allowed in.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

even if he wants out, joe won't trade him because he won't get proper value. i can see a sign-and-trade happening next summer or something of that nature.

if delfino shuts his trap and mans up this year and plays well, cool. if he half-asses it like darko and acts like a prima donna like darko, then peace out.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So where does this leave us?
    Carlos comes in and denies that he doesn't want to be here?
    Did anyone tell him he wasn't going to get minutes? On the contrary.
    He's been crying since his first injury... and it's only gonna get worse.
    How much is enough PT to shut him up?
    Guys, HE DOESN"T WANT TO BE HERE!

I can't believe some of you guys are defending this whinny beotch.... this was supposed to be his year to show himself ... he didn't give it a chance to play out... just more belly aching.:hurt:

10. max

max All-Star

Dumars always says he will always trade players that want to be traded. Lets see what happends.

I am still a little skeptical about these foreign rags that I know nothing about.

Can anyone vouch for these sources?

For Delfino. I think he needs to seriously think about why he could not beat out a guy like Mo Evans because thats only going to follow him wherever he goes.

Supposed to be a slasher but rarely finishes, not good handling the ball, supposed to be a shooter but misses far more than he makes. His defense has been improving.

Who knows what he can become with regular PT but he has to get to that point.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I agree he needs to finish more at the basket. He gets swatted too often. I like his willingness to try to throw it down in traffic though. Even if he misses a couple dunks.

He's not a PG, but he's a good ball-handler for a guy who plays the 3. He had issues with palming, etc, but those quieted down in his second season in the league. It's not like he's a turnover machine. Most of his TOs come in erratic garbage time where players are unfamiliar with each other, and he's looking to create something out of nothing with the clock running down. That's just what garbage time is. Plus, he rarely touched the ball outside of shooting when he was out on the floor with the regulars, so there was rarely a chance. That was another problem IMO.

I also don't think he was ever considered a "shooter". He has always had good form, but streaky. Unfortunately, he's never in the game long enough to get on a hot-"streak". We saw at the end of the year that he can knock down some shots and make some plays in 20-25 minutes though.

What we need to do is get some defense out of him, let him breakdown the D off the dribble (off pick-n-rolls, etc) to find teammates, and get out on the break. Those are his strengths right now. Do those things and see if his finishing/jumpshooting improve with consistant minutes. Untill then we'll never know. Or he'll be another on a growing list of young players this team was incappable of developing.

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what i'm annoyed about is we still haven't addressed the problem of a decent backup for tay. this was our main problem two seasons ago and its still not been rectified.

since then we have had more problems pile on top of it such as no decent centre and a backup for CB.

we can't afford to have tay playing 45 minutes a game again this season, the poor kid will burn out. not a good thing when he is quietly becoming your teams best player.

delfino may be just trying to put pressure on the coaches and staff to play him more, but it could be a mistake for him in the end. joe, you better do something, dupree is not a viable 1st SF option off the bench.

13. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't get the fuss. The guy wants minutes and there's nothing wrong with that. We should give him some, and if he plays well and is still not happy with that, then that PT will have hopefully built up his trade value.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah, like he didn't really say those things... just shows that he's two-faced.

Looks like Bonzi is definitely available (Kings said he won't be coming back)
    D.D. + Delfino + Mo's T.E. = Bonzi to Detroit

16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the same reason that darvin ham beat him out for a playoff roster spot

that's the point the pistons and some of you fans make a decision on these young players without giving them adequate court time. i see you haven't seen much of delfino because you don't think he can handlle the ball.

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Are you saying that Delfino isn't playing because he can't finish like Ham or shoot like Evans? Because I could believe that.

18. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I love Wells' ability, but he may be too much of a challenge for Flip, whose style begs for disobedience.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

20. mjfeld

mjfeld Second Round Draft Pick

Delfino is playing more as tayshaun back up so i don't see how the aquisition of murray makes a big deal. Murray is supposed to play 1 and 2. Delfino will get playing time I am sure of it. This forum is so negative about the pistons it is crazy like have some faith. We are already talkin bout signing and trading chauncey next year, in this forum, without seeing what this group can do. I think Delfino %%%%%ed in order to get his point that he wants more playing time which he will definatly recieve this season. Everyone needs to take a chill pill and just let the pistons play before making judgements.