Delfino wants out Again!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

yea... And we'd be left with Nazr as our only Center. :ohwell:
  2. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

Yes, his D is weak or he would have gotten more minutes. If Darko was so good, he would still be on our team and would have gotten more minutes. The cream rises to the top. If Darko was overwhelming guys in practice they would have found minutes for him. Same with Delfino. Minutes are earned. You can apologize for your pet players all you like, but it is about the end result now. Especially on a contending squad.....

Thanks for pointing out my general lack of knowledge on basketball. Please let me know when you go on your next NBA scouting trip. I would love to sit beside you and pick up a few pointers. Perhaps one day my basketball acumen will be elevated to a level as high as yours.
  3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the cream did rise to the top. it just didn't do it on the pistons. arroyo and darko went to orlando and they instantly had a better bench. that's the bench we could have had deep into the playoffs. i think even the most faithful "earn your minutes" believers will admit now that it isn't all about pure performance that will get you playing time for a young player. even joe and flip admitted that guys should have been playing that weren't. the pistons will change thier philosophy of only playing the starting 5.

the way the team is setup (best starting 5) it was very difficult to crack the rotation. hence the mass exodus of young talent. you would have a point if our young talent wasn't going to other teams and thriving. it's not just that they couldn't play or earn minutes. we didn't contend for the title because we refused to develop our bench.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I totally agree with this. The only reason Tay got a shot was that the team was stymied and grasping for anything. This past season lacked any real challenge to keep the team on its toes. we should have relied on more people. If the team was able to coast 75% of the time and pull out a win, they could have played some other people and worked harder and smart when it was needed.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Biggest misconception ever. Minutes are not earned, they are given, at least on this team. How did Mo Evans beat out Delfino after only a week of practice? How did Curry consistantly beat out Tay, even though Tay played better throughout the season? How did Darvin Ham beat out Okur for minutes at center?

I'm not going to go on a rant, because I've been saying this since day 1 with Darko, but our coaches play their favorite players over the best athlete. And yes, Delfino is better than Mo. And all Delfino is saying is play me or trade me and I don't believe anything you say.

Honestly, is there any reason he should trust anything coming out of the Pistons orginization, and is there any reason he should be happy sitting on the bench, watching the value of his next contract shrink, and shrink, and shrink. Remember, he paid money out of his own pocket to break his contract with the Euroleague to come here.
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW, what upsets me the most is Joe's response. Yeah, I agree with what Delfino said, but Joe can't just blow it off. He should have publicly scolded him, but privately said, look you're going to get your pt, now stfup. It's like Flip not doing anything when Big Ben refused to come into the game, he should have been suspended for at least a half, if not a full game.

This just shows the Pistons' desperation. We lost our center, and Joe just realized that Delfino is the only legitimate backup sf on the team, and now he's threatening to go. At this rate, we could be looking at a bench of Lindsey, Flip, Dale, and Super Dupe. UGLY!!!!!
  7. Slippy

why? If they take care of it, they take care of it. Joe doesn't talk through the media like LB.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'd rather have Cato's size (and youth).
    DD is done
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is the least negative Piston forum out there... show me one that's more positive... and and you'll be challanged.
  10. mjfeld

mjfeld Second Round Draft Pick

I am not saying this forum is more or less positive than other forums because I used to read the detroit news forum and u had a bunch of idiots babbling and being negative and talkin about trading every player not named tayshaun prince for garbage. I was just saying it seems like a lot of people in the forum are being negative right now especially about the Pistons this year, and i mean yes without ben wallace our team will have some trouble competing, but we can't judge this team yet is all I am saying, they haven't played one game together. Plus I think Flip realizes, or I hope he does, that the Pistons have a better chance to win if they can develop delfino and maxiell and give the starters 30-35 minutes a game.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Merc ~ right you are. We've got our warts, but they are treatable. :)

@ mjfeld, some folks don't get "patience" but you are right. It's premature to judge these guys until they get some games under their belt. I'm pulling for ALL of the young guys to step up this year. We need them.
  12. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

If this forum is down on the recent moves then there is a good reason. I challenge anyone to find a forum with more intelligent and faithful Pistons fans.

Being realistic is different than negative.

If Joe D was better at articulating his vision and acting on the same, there would be less second guessing.

If the Pistons were publicly traded and you owned stock, what would you think about this summer.

We all have emotional stock. Thus the passion.
  13. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Well, maybe you've hit it ... the Pistons aren't a publicly traded stock/company with SEC disclosure requirements. They're a competitive sports franchise, and there is value in competition in not laying out all the details of your assessment of player strengths and weaknesses, future plans, etc. I actually think more of Joe Dumars because he is secure enough in his judgment not to get defensive and feel the need to explain or justify his moves to critics.
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I am tired of Delfino crying like a little beeatch. If he put as much energy into improving his game as he does crying and complaining he has the potential to be 6th man of the year. He seems to not have it all upstairs and just doesn't get that the NBA doesn't cater to scrub players that don't put up numbers. It is all about producing. Produce and you shall receive. Send him packing Joe. Maybe we can trade him and a couple thousand Fear the Fro Afros.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I find it unbelieveable to find a whole thread based on someone who can't speak spanish giving a horrible, very inaccurate translation. Make that a couple of people. Delfino said nothing new in that interview whatsoever. Meanwhile, where is common sense around here. You can't negotiate with any team while under contract. Gee, find something better to do, or take the time to learn spanish. We got rid of Evans to make room for Delfino to play. Delfino is a fine player, who will play for the Pistons this year, and do quite well.
  16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Why doesn't Delfino do us all a favor and keep his mouth shut. Then he wouldn't have to be worried about getting misquoted in Spanish or English. Sounds like a plan to me. Worry about something you can control Delfino. Playing basketball!!!
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We did get rid of Evans, which made me feel good about Delfino's chances of finally showing us what he can or cannot do in extended minutes.

But then Joe turned right around and signed Flip Murray and Ron Dupree. WTF? I just don't get it. Man, I wish I could read Joe D's mind sometimes.

Is Delfino really a part of this team's plans? Was Joe D just posturing? Will Delfino be traded? How will the depth chart play out?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the season brings. It should be interesting to say the least.
  18. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Has anyone actually heard this guy "crying"?

Or are we such pathetic sacks of nothing that we have to scour the globe looking for any and all news about our players, and then sit back and critique what they have and havenot said, or speculate about why they said it?

If any of these players spent as much time worrying about what I say when I'm at work, as we do about them... well you get the point.

Step outside, breathe some air, stand under that big yellowish colored thing in the sky, it's good for you.

It's the offseason, relax.
  19. Slippy

my girl translated the article. Figured I add one more...she speaks spanish french and english.

MAR DEL PLATA (from an special envoy) "I want to leave Detroit, but they don't want me to; they won't let me. I have one more year of contract with them and another with option with them", said Carlos Delfino, the overhang of the Pistons in the NBA, close from Mar del Plata and concentrate on the selection.
    "I got a very interesting offer from Washington and some others from the Lakers and Denver, but Detroit don't want to lend me within the NBA. If they would let me go, it would be in EUrope. The one from Barcelona is sure: they want to take me, but I'd prefer to to back and play in Italia, where they also called me", added the santafecino (I guess from Santa Fe),
    with a certain resignation.
    "I think that until after the Mundial nothing will be possible to define. there's still time, but I feel like a prisonner, if I won't have minutes, I won't continue in Detroit; they know it", he finished.

[FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]
    of course crastinators got squatters rights on the translation as this is roughly the same. [/FONT]
  20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In my defence, I didn't go scouring the globe. Someone else did, I just read it here. :P

No offence Star, but your work analogy doesn't really hold much weight for me. His job is a public one. If it wasn't he wouldn't have one. He's the one that talked to the reporter (in whatever context it was), making it a public statement open to conjecture, speculation and critique. Its not like he made those comments behind closed doors, off the record to a close personal friend. He talked to a reporter.

Who better to do all of that conjecturing, speculating and critiquing of a Piston players public comments about his feelings about the Pistons, than fans of the Pistons, on a Pistons forum, during the Piston's offseason?