Delfino wants out Again!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I understand.

I do work with the public.

And my point I guess is that all of this conjecture just ruffles feathers and accomplishes absolutely nothing, accept for a very poor excuse of passing the time in the offseason stretch.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What is not conjecture is that the last two offseasons, twice Delfino has been in the foreign press with issues about his status as a Piston.

I had a link to the coolest article about Nocioni and Delf's father advising him to be more discrete in the press last summer, but I lost it.

I'd really like this guy to play (with court time from the coach). He's not worth much (contract size-wise) in a trade.

I do find it kinda weird that he would talk about possibly going to Europe because contractually, I assume there would have to be some kind of NBA buyout. He already paid for his European buyout, now to pay for an NBA buyout is going to make his 4 year earnings very, very small.

3. Superstarov

ALRIGHT!

Alright, I'll come clean.

I like the guy.

I wish he would play.

I also wish he'd shut the heck up in the press.

Alright?

I admit it.

I'm a Delfino Supporter.

Tar and feather me.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Pickin' up whatcha layin' down Super...
    Some of us skeptics even want him to succeed... just when you start coming around to thinking this time he'll make it work out, he opens his big trap again... it's beyond defensible.
    If he could just shut the F up and show some loyalty he could convert even the biggest critics.
    IMO he's used up all his FUBARS (F'ed up but all right)... no more public mulligans.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

show loyalty to who??

i don't think he needs to shut up. i think the pistons need to stop with the lies. i don't think he's told joe anything different. he told joe play me or trade me simple as that. joe keeps saying i'm going to get you some playing time and it never comes through. why should delfino be quiet and just accept it. delfino is a good player and he needs to be on the court.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Perhaps not loyalty. Just common sense and professionalism.

Because you don't negotiate or air grievances in the press. It's not done like that, and I am sure it is not furthering his cause with the Pistons, either for a trade, a buyout or playing time.

Something I think a lot of fans forget that despite the fact the players have some power, it's not the Darkos and Delfinos. Its the Kobes, Shaqs and LeBrons. There are only so many superstars, and only so many franchises. Bench players and young talented big men are in much greater supply than many people are willing to admit.

In other words, they still have to play nice with the boss.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think for the first time I agree with Bball Jay. He should be angry because Arroyo was benched for being a defensive liability, and Darko was benched for not trying hard. Delfino played great and got benched though. He stopped Paul Pierce and sparked the team to a win over the Celtics. He kept Wade to 5 points. Maybe if we use him more against Miami The Pistons are in the Finals and Ben stays, but we didnt.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Delfino's situation is hardly unique... I'm sure there's 2 or 3 players on each team that feels slighted by the coach... but they don't go out and spread their gripes thru the press.
    It's still debatable whether he really deserved PT over Mo... it's not a slam dunk decision (wouldn't be hard to make a case for MO)... all this "Delfino played gr8 and didn't get rewarded" is also up for debate... one or two good games does not constitute automatic rotation spots... you have to average the performances....Mo had several good games... maybe Delfino does have the better upside but what Roscoe is saying is that there's a right way and a wrong way to voice your concerns... Delfino has crossed that line 4 times now.

Eventually other teams get wind of these public comments and decide this guy has a tendency to disrespect management.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I could really care less about Delfino's comments to the press. I'm just not sure that the guy is all that important. He looks to have quickness, a nice jumpshot, and great handles. He also seems to have trouble finishing, misses most of those jumpshots, and can't seem to earn minutes despite his great talent.

When the guy is able to perform at 15% of the level BBJay gives him credit for, and he does it consistently, then maybe I will worry about his relationship with the organization.

Right now, he has contributed about as much to the team as Tremaine Fowlkes.

10. Superstarov

If he plays that well, we can trade one of the starters.:laugh:

11. bball jay

how professional is it for the pistons to lie to him year after year. delfino was hesitant to even come from europe because of the way the pistons treated young euro talent. so we get him over here then larry questions his man hood and keeps him off the playoff roster. then flip lies to him all year about playing.

i have more respect for a man that answers questions truthfully than a man that says a political answer and then turns around and does something totally different. it may not be furthuring his cause with the pistons but it is giving people on the outside a heads up about the way the pistons org treats it's young players.

yeah. well i wish the pistons would pick up one of those young talented big men. i hope you will enjoy dd and nazr getting thier abused inside and out because we didn't want to throw our young big man 7 minutes. the league has changed you have to take care of your other players too. us mistreating darko, delfino, memo and arroyo cause they have no pull could have cost us 2 championships in a row.

where was that great supply of bench players and young big men in last 2 years of playoffs with shaq going off, verajao going off, wade going off, lebron going off, duncan fouling everybody out, ginobli driving at will, no post scoring, offensive droughts, 4 on 5 on offense, etc. we had the pieces to counter these things and we refused to use them because they were young and powerless to force themselves into the rotation.
    cause minutes aren't earned on the pistons if you are a young player.

the problem is he will be doing that for another team. if we don't give young players a chance to do it they won't do it. at the end of the season darko was giving orlando a serious boost off thier bench. in detroit he was giving us absolutely zero. it wasn't the sun that changed his production it was the oppurtunity.

maybe if he press was asking. delfino is a foreign born player so his country is much more likely to ask why he isn't playing. delfino doesn't seek out reporters they ask him questions. i also feel he might feel an obligation to at least tell his home country supporters something.
    delfino's pt didn't have to be over mo evans. they both could have played and took a few of tay's and rips minutes. i do think he didn't deserve all those dnpcd's. two games doesn't constitute auto rotation but it does deserve a further look in my opinion. delfino would play good then back to the bench for a week or two.

delfino has done it the right way. joe wasn't listening and neither was flip or lb. who else should he talk to??

eventually other young talent will get wind of the way the pistons treat young players and won't want to come here. i would support the be quiet and handle turmoil in house if the pistons were handling things right. why support the pistons when they are clearly doing things wrong. management needs to change.

12. bball jay

yeah. or we could use him to rest one of the starters. hey wouldn't that be a crazy idea. using a talented bench player to give one of the starters some rest so the they won't run out of gas for the 2nd year in a row.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Here's my 2 cents.

I believe in Delfino's talent. He could potentially be one of the best defenders on the team and I think he underachieved offensively last year.

Bballjay, is right about the Pistons's committment to its youth, but it is important to mention that had the Pistons kept the starting 5 together and concentrated on what made them champs in the first place (strong defensive effort)the emphasis would not be on youth development as much.

What we have seen come out of the last two media misfires (Ben and Carlos Delfino) is that Joe appears to be missing the mark with guaging the happiness of the players in the organization. We appear to be getting into this trend where players are becoming unhappy with the decisions of management to a point where they feel comfortable spouting out to the media. This is in contrast to previous years under Joe Dumars. Is the organization beginning to lose the respect of the players? I think we really need to get this under control as the goodwill and respect the Pistons organization has worked so hard to build appears to be under attack. The aftermath of the "Going to Work" era is seemingly one where the Pistons organization demands loyalty but does not show loyalty to its players. If youth doesn't get a legitmate shot, all-stars and potential all-stars get underpaid (based on market value) and the identity of the team appears to be in some weird flux....that does not sound too attractive for an aspiring Piston.

I love Joe, but it would be really nice to get a management "W" under our belt soon. We seem to be in a drought. A nice regular season start or an offseason trade would definitely be a step in the right direction.

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Delfino wants out, here's his chance.

RealGM ID: 3312846

I can't see Philly making this trade though. Maybe if we throw in one of our #1 picks? :fingerscr

I think Philly would sooner trade AI#1 than AI#2 at this point.

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Delfino can play in this league and ought to be given a chance as a Piston.

So what flight did you say Andre would be on? I might should head out to DTW.

Likewise, not quite sure why Philly would pull the trigger though. I'd sure toss in a pick to get it done.

16. Superstarov

Nice post.

I agree with you on all accounts.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Delfino spouting off, I think a lot of this frustration is because the management seems to be bumbling its way to mediocrate. After being one of the class acts in the league, this organization has recently made some moves that leave a lot of people scratching their heads.

17. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

MotownPride- you hit it spot on.

When Joe first came on as GM he seemed to connect with the players in a way that is impossible for suits who have spent many years in the front office spinning and twisiting their messages to the players and press.

What happened to that guy?

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So where do you draw the line with the youth development... Acker, Jmax, Delfino, Darko etc?
    Maybe Amir warrants more PT... or Jmax

Watch what ya ask for... ya might just end up with it... along with an early exit in the playoffs when you lose game 7 on someone elses home court.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What I ant to see is the starters getting benched when they play bad.

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What I want is for the starters to get some rest to help prevent them from playing bad.

I want a bench that is confident and capable to step in when need.

And a coach with enough balls to get it done.