Delfino wants out Again!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I think you are missing the point, what we are ending up with is a tired old team, that will bow out of the playoffs earlier, and earlier, until we don't make the playoffs, unless we start developing some youth.

The point of the win now club was we had a chance to win multiple titles, and we shouldn't screw that up by developing the youth. No,w we no longer are capable without help from the youth. So if you really want to win now, you get players like Delfino and Amir onto the court, and you keep Acker.

This tired old game of getting and playing vets with no upside that are only marginally better (debatable) than our current youth with upside is going to destroy this team.
  2. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Is that much worse than losing game 7 at home in the 2nd or 3rd round with guys who don't look like they want to win?
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So what are you saying... If we played the rookies more we would have been assured of advancing further?
    The reality is young players:
    A) Are more inconsistent
    B) Have more defensive lapses
    C) Create more unecessary fouls
    D) Generally shoot at a lower %
    E) Lack experience to react to game situations
    F) Are more likely to lose the battle against vets
    G) Create more T.O.'s

Do these low draft picks have the physical gifts to overcome these deficiencies?

The price of A-G for low draft picks is typically more losses.
    If you're playing the percentages you would like the teams chances of advancing further if you had HCA.
    The Heat and the Mavs did indeed play their bench more than the Pistons... they were also a mature experienced bench.

I do advocate mixing in the young players... but in small doses (not just handing them the keys to the backup PT).
    Typically the teams that bite the bullet and give the youngsters gauranteed minutes don't advance far in the playoffs (Udrih had the rug yanked on him).

As for the burned out theory... Miami and the Mavs starters played more minutes in the last two weeks of the season than the Pistons starters... certainly playing the bench more earlier would have helped.
    Our bench consisted of a center past his prime (Dale Davis)... A defensive liability (Mo)... A serviceable combo gaurd playing for his next contract (Delk)... and several players with little or no experience.
    The bench did not have enough talent in their prime to absorb player projects... our bench performance was one of the worst in the association...
    Flips working orders last season was to go after HCA... the lack of proven talent off the bench forced him to rely too much on the starers to achieve the goals...
    IMO, the fault starts with Mr. D for not allowing Joe to hit the lux threshold to add a proven talent (like a Stackhouse or Payton etc)... If we had added the quality backups then playing Delfino or Jmax more could have been absorbed.... realistically these guys have proven nothing more than any other teams low draft picks.... maybe the other teams have better young talent... why should ours be considered better?

Hopefully the plan is still to WIN games.... anyone want to gaurantee advancing further by playing more late pick rookies?
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Mercury people here are talking about the regular season. It will only help if the guys on the bench develop and the starters get rested. Come playoff time you can give the starters more minutes, and if they are not playing well you now have a bench. More importantly if a guy gets injured like Sheed did we have more than one replacment.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I still think HCA improves your chances more than 8 more minutes for an iffy talent..... I would not have liked facing the Cavs in games seven at their place.
    I have a theory that the starters lost their edge when they sat and watched the rooks in the last two weeks... the Heat had to battle 'til the end... they didn't have to worry about getting their starters back to full speed....
    We did rest our starters plenty near the end...
    Coming into the playoffs the talk was about being revitalized and ready to go...
    Then there was the extra time outs in the playoffs...
    The burned out talk didn't come out til after they were bounced....
    Guys like Tayshaun didn't want to come out... said he felt just fine... but Chauncey did need something to blame on the crappy shooting.... A few more made buckets and the lame excuses wouldn't be needed.
    The Heat took care of business and gave their guys rest while we were struggling with the Cavs.
    Most likely the young guys will have considerably more PT this year... just don't assume this will bring home a trophy.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You make some excellent points! Particularly that the starters DID get rest. I think most of us tend to forget that. I'll admit, I hadn't even thought about the rest the starters got in the last few games.

Also, like you said, the excuses came later. They talked all this crap about how they were going to kick butt on everyone, basically disrespected the opposition and didn't take care of business promptly, and then fell back on some sorry excuses.

Tired=blame the coach.
    I'm not defending Flip. The guy looked like he had no clue. But it wasn't all his fault either.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems like a really good point. I'd also observe that the odd rotations in the last couple of games may have also made it harder for the team to work through any residual bitterness / weirdness coming out of the Orlando game that Ben refused to re-enter in the fourth.

Still, the playoffs are different, and the rigor of a more or less every other night schedule for a couple of weeks, playing much more intense games (on top of three very long years) sure didn't help.

I've been taking a look at how starter minutes for the Pistons compared to other teams and hopefully will get that out in the next couple of days. Some pretty interesting results there.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just thought of something.

If Delfino re-signs with us next summer, we can start a thread called,

"Delfino wants in Again!!!"
  9. Darth Tater

On Delfino. I'm torn. Watching him it seems like he can play. The drama, :drama:however, is tiring.

I can't get my mind past the regular season game against Miami where Delfino appeared to play really well against Wade and then Flip pulled him. Wade went off after that and the Pistons lost the game. From there, Miami turned their season around.

If I could turn back the hands of time on our season and change anything, it would be that moment in time.
  10. Darth Tater

That is the other moment in time I would love to change.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

if you haven't noticed we've had 2 early exits in the playoffs in a row. it's crazy to me to think that not one of our young players could have made a contribution to change our fates the last 2 years.

darko could have checked tim duncan in game 7 instead of tayshaun when we had foul trouble. he also could have spent some time on shaq during the miami series so ben wouldn't wear down for the san antonio series. darko could have been in the game so there would be no hack a ben. darko could have been in the game so teams won't zone up and clog the paint.

delfino could have stuck with ginobli instead of not being on the playoff roster. delfino could have made the cleveland series go 5 games instead of 7. delfino could have kept wade in semi check so we could have won it this year. delfino could have rested tay so he would have had energy in the san antonio series.

jmax could have provided us with inside scoring. he could have provided us with aggressiveness and drive to win when we didn't have any this year. he could have knocked wade down when he drove to the hole.

dude it's not that we just plan the whole season around playing youth. it's just the fact that these guys aren't even given a chance to possibly contribute. all we needed was maybe 1 or 2 of the above things to happen and we would be 3 time champions right now.
  12. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

The way the team is being stacked, it looks as though they are expecting Delfino to go back to Europe.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pretty sure that tied going into the fourth quarter of the finals doesn't count as an early exit. Nor does the ECF this year.

No doubt though that best of all, in the best two, and then in the best four is going south. And that either a bench must be acquired or built. The best starting four in the league won't deliver a 'ship by themselves or if they are playing over three quarters of the minutes.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Woulda... shoulda... coulda... sounds like pie in the sky stuff.
    Yep they woulda just come in and kicked some "A" based on that stellar track record :P

I will say that it's cool having opposite opinions... there's always gonna be some posters that are 180 from your own opinions... for me it's usually bballjay & FP22... but without a doubt they bring up some solid viewpoints that make you stop and think... hey maybe they're right.
    Time will be the judge.
  15. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

After watching how much he could of helped but wasn't able to, I would want to leave as well. The pistons are suppressing his value, cause he could be getting paid else where, just to sit on the bench.