Denver Trade Nixed....Fallout..They Have To Be Traded/Team will be built around Stuck

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 22, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good Morning my Good pistons friends...

Well it has started. According to Major News sources, Denver has nixed the deal sending CB and Tay to Denver for Carmelo Anthony. Denver wanted the Pistons to take AI & Camby, Dumars said NO, NO, NO.

The Consequences of this revelation is; more than likely if Joe can't get this deal done, he will have to trade them elsewhere or get another team involved.

It looks as though Joe will turn over the reigns to Stuckey so we may as well get used to this team being built around Stuckey.

Alternative trade options...CB & Tay for Tracy McGrady. I am on the fence surrounding this one also due to Tracy's injury history, unless of course Arnie can weave his magic.

This situation just proves that Joe will settle for nothing less than an allstar caliber player. It looks as though he is targeting a point/forward type player who can take the load off Stuckey.

My feeling is that we now have to trade CB because the cat is completely out of the bag otherwise, it may create some bad locker room vibes.

Your thoughts please...............And have a very good pistons day, it's 0400 in my neck of the woods and its been a very long night.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re: Denver Trade Nixed....Fallout..They Have To Be Traded/Team will be built around S

I think Joe will find a way to "sweeten the pot" and get this trade done. Denver is built to win now with players like Camby, Martin and Iverson.

I personally feel that adding Billups and Tayshaun will improve them significantly over the short term. Their sticking point will likely be met in the form of Joe taking on another salary or including a draft pick or cash on our end.

The funniest facet of this deal coming from Denver is that they are acting like Joe called them, something we all pretty much know Joe doesn't do.

I would wager that during the meeting with Denvers people and Anthonys people it will come out that Denver is shopping him. Karl wants to get rid of him, and Karl is going to be around next year.

I think the coincidences have been far too often and many for there not to be fire here. IMO Joe gets this done albeit with a few minor changes to the terms, and Chauncey spends his Olympicless summer moving back home.
  3. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Re: Denver Trade Nixed....Fallout..They Have To Be Traded/Team will be built around S

I am in agreement with Army and Cloud here, except that if a deal does not get done, life will go in for all parties. It's not quite the same as the JKidd to Mavericks fiasco that went down, but hey, you never know?

All indications are that Joe is not looking necessarily for a scoring forward with point skills. Just a big time player, regardless of position, and there aren't many out there on the market. Melo being one of the sole exceptions. However, having seen what the Celtics accomplished this season with Rondo manning the point, I agree with Army that having a guy in the front court like Melo, who can make plays, will make it easier for Stuckey to be an effective starter this early on in his career.

Either the articles on Freep and ESPN are complete baloney, or one or both teams are spinning some PR so to not shock the fans when a deal does go down (my hunch). My bet is we will have to take back a big contract back (probably Nene or Camby) along with Melo and give up one of our young guys to get it done (Amir or Maxiel).
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmm, I was interested to hear about that potential deal. Maybe this is just the first volley. You never propose the best deal first. I'd say the Nuggets would want to include a bad contract like Nene in the deal.

However, I don't believe it forces us to have to deal CB because:
    A) It's still just a rumour and
    B) Joe already said everyone is on the trade table so I don't see how it will create bad vibes.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is a typical JD move. If you had to trade Billups and you valued him as a person, you'd want to trade him to Denver for a lot of non-basketball reasons. If it fell through, you could say that Denver was a good option for CB and a good one for the team. This is opposed to making a trade with Memphis where even if we robbed them silly, life would suck for CB.

This is going to end up like fantasy league where people offer good starters for your franchise player.
  6. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You are so right, it is so JoeD. On top of that CB has been saying he could not be on the olympic team because of family reasons and he wanted to stay close to home. Everyone is happy.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm SO glad that this deal didn't get done!

If you switched Dyess for Tay, I'd be all for it!
    I find it highly ironic that it's being reported that Denver nixed this trade.

This deal is VERY one-sided in Nuggets favor!
  8. jslove1408

jslove1408 Second Round Draft Pick

I would love to see this trade go through and hope Joe can get this done. I think it would be a good movie for both teams however after this what do we do in the free agent market?
  9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Joe D. is looking to move CB to Denver out of respect for what he has done for the Pistons. Denver wants to deal Melo, but they want to see if they can get more perhaps draft picks another player like Amir Johnson or get us to take a bad contract off there hands. Denver may even be trying to leverage us against another team. It is part of the game. Joe D. knows he needs a superstar to compete in this era of the NBA and that the going to work theme is dead.

I don't think there will be any fall out. Joe D. told the players from the jump no one was safe and they all know this is a business.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hearsay
    I'll need to wait til it goes down.
  11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Source is wrong. I mentioned in chat who was to go and who Denver wanted.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I too think that Joe D is moving CB out of total respect for CB. I think the deal will probably get done once the smoke clears and all the postering is over. My only hope is that we won't have to part with AJ, Affalo, or JMAX.

Joe D may use the old okee doke move by appearing to be very interested in McGrady which by the way is a smokescreen.
  13. pistonsfan

pistonsfan First Round Draft Pick

I don't think this deal will work from a salary perspective unless there are other players from Denver included in the deal like Nene or Camby

Denver:

Melo - $14,410, 581
    Nene - $9,680,000
    or
    Camby - $8,000,000

Detroit:
    CB - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$11,050,000
    Tay -
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$9,500,000

Total: 20,550,000

[/FONT]
  14. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

If the story is true that Denver turned their noses up at Chauncey and Tay for Melo I say let the deal die. I'm just not on the Melo is the superstar that Detroit needs bandwagon. The games I watched Denver play the guy is a virtual black hole, he just doesn't seem to play with any fire in his belly. Also Melo looks like he's not ever in tip top shape which indicates to me he's not a serious basketball player. Melo reminds me so much of Antoine Walker a great talent with a peabrain.

I wonder why Joe is so high on Carmelo anyway? Why don't the Pistons explore getting Elton Brand, I'm sure the Clippers would be open to having someone like CB and Tay on their team. I would take back Chris Kamen and Elton Brand in a heartbeat, those two are stars waiting to break out. Kamen is one hard-nosed basketball player and he is from Central Michigan so he would be a big fan favorite.

As for trying to please Chauncey, Joe is trying to build a championship team and it's a business and Chauncey knows that.
  15. max

max All-Star

This is interesting. Says he wants to stay in Denver but will ask to be traded if the Nuggets cannot commit.

Guess thats a good thing as it shows some dedication on his part. I have not heard of any of our guys wanting to meet with Dumars.

It looks like Dumars is going to get something done one way or another. But if he does not then who knows, maybe it would have a positive effect on CB and Tay knowing that its a reality that they are accountable.

I was dissapointed to hear that this deal was not accepted though.

ESPN - Sources: Anthony's representatives, Nuggets' brass to address trade rumors - NBA
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I sure hope you're right Cloud. I would love to see Anthony here. It would revive my interest in the team since he is one of my favorite players (which I cannot explain since I usually can't stand those guys with off court issues. I usually like the "good citizens").

Anyhow, my gut is that it's not going to happen after reading that article. :( Joe already offered a lot for him...
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't want to see McGrady here. Not with those health issues.
  18. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Think about the EPIC battles he and Lebron would have. It would be an espn wet dream. Melo finds a new home in detroit and 1 vs 3 could be fodder for the rest of the press. From the standpoint of a fan in general i would want to see that. They could be battling it out for the eastern conference for the next decade.
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I wouldn`t necessarily judge Melo`s Denver perfomance on what he could do as a Piston. First of all, who would he have around him in a Piston uniform?

If Sheed is here and plays on the block and demands a double, what could that do for Melo? In Denver they never had that low post threat to open up the floor for Anthony. Not to mention Melo himself could draw a double and that leaves Stuckey room to operate.

Stuckey, Melo and Sheed could be a three headed monster that could be hard to deal with.

Now, the defense and rebounding from Melo needs to be addressed.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I would way prefer Melo over McGrady, but McGrady has shown the ability to play some tough D at times in the past. He's every bit as long as Tay. (Who ironically, leaves everything short when they most need him)

If DET gets one of these guys then the onus really shifts to Joe to round out the team with useful pieces.