Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 18, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

So whats are depth chart shaping up to be? Assuming there is no blockbuster trade which there does not appear to be or we would have heard something.

Roster: 1)Billups, 2)Rip, 3)Prince, 4)Sheed, 5)Dyess, 6)Mohamed, 7)Davis, 8)Delfino, 9)Murry, 10) Hunter, 11) Maxiel, 12) Dupree, 13) Johnson 14) Acker/Blaylock

PG: Billups, Hunter, Murry,Acker/Blaylock
    SG: Rip, Murry, Delfino, Dupree, Acker/Blaylock?
    SF: Prince, Delfino, Maxiel, Dupree,Johnson
    C: Mohamed, Sheed, Davis
    PF: Sheed, Dyess, Maxiel, Johnson

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Equals around 47-35..........2nd round and out...........making it to ECF with this squad would be a major achievement...........

3. max

max All-Star

That appears to be a likely scenerio. Who do you see beating the Pistons? If Shaq slows down, Ben does not recapture his youth and the other Cavs do not help LeBran out enough then we could still take the East.

But its all very dependant on what the other teams are going to do. ( Hence my sig )

4. max

max All-Star

I see the usual starters + Mohamed. Off the bench Dyess, Murry, Delfino, Hunter, Maxiel. Probably not going to go much deeper than 10 with the other guys given burn every so often with Davis only being used in certain situations. There will be some opportunity though and I am not sure how much Hunter is going to want to play.

Advantages

1) More paint points. Sheed will not be doubled as much which should free him up to go inside more. Flip had talked some about going through Sheed in the post last summer - never really happened but perhaps now it will. Also throw in Mohamed, a less doubled Dyess and Maxiel who some have been saying reminds them of Corliss.
    We should have a decent frontcourt as long as Sheed has a good year. Without Sheed we are looking pretty average.

2) Team stepping up to make up for Ben. Our rebounding/defensive problems may not be as bad as some think.

3) Quicker team? Thats what I hear anyway. How is replacing Mohamed with Ben when Mohamed has never on a fast breaking team going to swing it?

4) Deeper bench and more production from the bench. Looking forward to seeing how Delfino will play with the extended PT, we could use a good slasher and he should be more comfortable with his jump shot.
    Dyess is supposed to play more and Flip seems to think he is poised for a throwback season.
    Murry? say what you want about him but he is capable of carrying the team for a quarter. Murry appears to be kind of hot/cold type of guy. 2 points one night and 20 the next. Every 20 point game could be another Pistons win.
    Maxiel - looking forward to seeing what the "Brahma" can do given a shot.
    - Always a chance for Acker or Johnson to surprise us.

5) Intangibles. Chicago has 1 guy Ben Wallace seeking to play more inspired. We have the 5 remaning core Pistons with something to prove.

6) Greater opportunities for the young guys to succeed. Its more their PT to lose now.

7) The reg season just got a lot more interesting. No win is guaranteed on any given night and we will not be sure who is going to step up and who will get better as the season goes on. For the Fan - we will not be on auto pilot until April this season. Every game is going to be a new experience.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Excellent breakdown Max. It would be nice if all these things go our way.

6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I see Miami giving the Pistons problems. We will probably double Shaq more often next year, leaving Wade and co. to operate on offense, not good. I really don`t see the Cav`s doing any better this upcoming year. Afterall, have they improved from last year?

I like the mix of vets and young guys on our team. The key is for Joe D and Flip to play the youngsters and create some chemistry between the two.

What Miami was very successful at last year was playing the half court EC style ball, and being able to run whenever they wanted to.

The Pistons may be able to play that way also. Sheed, Rip, Tay, Nazr, CB in the half court game and Delfino, Flip, JMax, Dyess, Acker in the running offense.

Not a lineup inked in stone, however, there are some interchangeable players that can play both ways, so feel free to tinker with the lineup!!!!!!:ohwell:

But as Max said, it depends on what the other teams do, not nessecarily on what the Pistons do. We will need much luck in addition to good play this season.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We'll definantly fall short with this group, but there is just no way Joe D. is going to overload the roster and keep it like that. He knows everyone won't get pt so he has to be trying to work out a trade.

If we keep the group like this we might win, but that's if everything Max said is right. Dallas almost won and they started Adrian Griffin and Diop. For us to have a good season like Dallas did Flip needs to do better, Sheed needs to enforce his will, and the bench needs to step up.

Come midseason I now think the Pistons will try pulling off a trade. I have no idea for who though.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know guys play multiple positions, but I dislike depth charts that list guys more than once. They are confusing. It makes it look like there are about 20 guys on the team.

Just modifying slightly what Max has done:

PG: Billups, Hunter, Blaylock
    SG: Rip, Murray, Acker
    SF: Prince, Delfino, Dupree
    PF: Sheed, Dyess, Maxiel, Johnson
    C: Mohamed, Davis

9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Thanks BillLaimbeer. I was trying to sort all that out myself, not knowing what position some of the guys play the most. I didn't realize Hunter would be at 1, and for some reason I thought Delfino at 2.:doh:

No one lists Cato. Are we out of money now or no one thinks he is good enough anymore? It seems strange to have paid so much money for him and never use him last season. And couldn't he still help against Shaq, esp now Ben is gone?:noidea:

10. max

max All-Star

Thanks - We could use some luck, about due.

Himat - I am starting to think that this will be it!!

Thing about Miami. They are the team to beat, no doubt about that.

Can anyone honestly say that Ben was a big factor against the Heat? This could be the one team where not having Ben really does not matter much.

11. MotownPride

I would say that just like in 2003, Shaq took away Ben's effectiveness. It was balanced play on both sides of the ball that got us past Miami in 2003. This year, we didn't have that.

My biggest fear is that Ben was the great equalizer on our team: Above average offense (beginning of the season) matched with the defensive player of the year. I think we might be underestimating his motivational value during the game and in practices. Ben, although his skills are slowly diminishing, brings a great work ethic on "D" with him that is unrivaled by anyone in the Pistons locker room. Now of course, this is most likely because Ben has known most of his career that his impact on the game primarily comes from defense. I liking this loss to when the Lions loss Chris Spielman. When he left, the toughness on defense left with him. Ben represents the griminess that made us unique.

By the way, circle the Phoenix game on your calender. It will be interesting to see how well we perform against those guys with all the screens and switches we normally have to fight through to defend. (One of the advantages of having Ben's on the ball defense on your team) Can you say 130 point performance by Nash and cast? Don't be surprised!

The question we will really be asking ourselves this season is with no liabilities on the offensive end, can Flip's offense be brought to new levels we've never seen before? More than likely our defense will be adequate. I expect to see alot more zone this year from Flip. (The biggest critique of the zone in a Pistons uniform just left to Chicago) This will not make us a great defensive team, but it will at the minimum make us serviceable. At least no worse than half of the other teams in the league. Apparently Flip feels that he has more flexibility to actually "coach" this year. Hopefully he suprises us. I will be taking a close look as we come out of timeouts this year. I'll also be looking closely to ball movement and post play. But more than anything I will be looking at his adjustments.

On the issue of depth...

I definitely like the speed and offensive possibilities of this team. One glaring omission off the bench I've noticed though is a lights out jump shooter. Oddly enough, it seems that for an offense like Flip's that is geared toward quick open jump shots, we have a lot of folks who shoot a pretty crappy field goal pct. away from the basket. Ronald Murray is a volume shooter and Delfino has been wildly inconsistent. Dupree is pure athleticism and Acker's shot has been less than accurate as well.

In my opinion, this is going to make rebounding one of our major keys to success this year. If we are not one of the top rebounding teams in the league this year, we are going to have problems. Sheed is going to have to really earn his money this year and clean up the glass which means that he has to post up more often putting him in better postition for offensive boards. Maxiel and Mohammed have excellent opportunities to get recognition this year if they attack the boards strong.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Looking at Dice, Sheed, Mohammed and Maxiell, I would say we will be a better offensive than defensive rebounding team. We have the potential to keep a lot of possessions alive, and kick out rebounds for spot up 3s.

It's the defensive glass that worries me. Rip, Tay, Ron Murray and hopefully Davis will have to carry a lot of the defensive rebounding load.

13. BillLaimbeer

I agree. Ben wouldn't allow people to come help him with Shaq and he whined when Flip wanted to play zone. I hated the way the Pistons just let Shaq score 10-12 points during the 1st quarter of every playoff game.

14. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

In his last 19 games against Detroit, O'Neal averaged 23.9 points and 9.1 rebounds on 58 percent shooting...

That's sad for the Pistons. If he's scoring that much, then Detroit should shut down the rest of his teamates, but that wasn't the case...

15. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

By the end of this season Ben was not such a good influence on the team.. After the fiasco in Orlando when he refused to re enter the game, the next game his rebound total was huge. I think over 20. So I think he sandbagged during the playoffs and he attitude was contagious. It seems like maybe Mr. D. was right and they were pretty sick of each other. We need a fresh start and I think Nazr and Flip II will be better than everyone thinks.. Joe D's way of thinking seems to rub off on all new Pistons players. They all got much better after they came here. We should assume that will happen with Nazr and Flip II. until we find out otherwise. Or,,,, Maybe we could hire Spree and he can give all our opponents and detractors the Big Facial..

16. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

We need someone who can create for others on the bench. Usually the backup point guard does that, but Flip doesn't. Delfino may be able to fill that role if Saunders trusts him enough.

As has been mentioned, a stone cold shooter would have been nice on the bench too. None of our perimeter guys are consistent with their jumpers. You don't want to be a pure jumpshooting team, but you do want to have pure jumpshooters.

17. BillLaimbeer

Were you referring to Ben with "above average offense"? On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Ben's offense at about 1.5. His only offense is a putback dunk.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[SARCASM]When you throw in all of the editorial comments like this, it destroys all of the great research that you've done. I stopped reading your post after those words. If you have some great statistical evidence to present, let it stand on its own behalf.[/SARCASM]

I couldn't resist.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Mo was referring to the Pistons' above average offense. Of course at the beginning of the ECF, they were probably the most offensive of the remaining playoff teams.

19. MotownPride

yep. I thought it was obvious, but I guess I could have been more clear. :)

20. max

max All-Star

MoTown - I am wondering about all that stuff myself. Ben may have held us back offensivly but defensivly how much better did he make everyone else? Or will they be able to step up and still get the job done?

Davison and Flip seem to think we will be better next season. Flip thinking that we may be better defensivly kind of frightens me. Dumars has not made such remarks.

Ironically losing Ben will not hurt us against Miami and may even make us better but we will still have to win enough games to be a top 4 seed. And we still need enough to get past Cleveland.

I definetly think the team will live and die by Sheed. Now more so than ever. There is no bigger x-factor. Take Sheed off our frontcourt and its kind of sub-par. If Sheed has a career season then the rest of the team should be good enough to carry the team back to the promised land.