DET/CLE Game 3 Post Game Pressers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 28, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS: CAVALIERS v PISTONS

CLEVELAND, OHIO: Game Three
    May 27, 2007

Daniel Gibson
    LeBron James

Q. LeBron, what was different tonight offensively for you guys throughout the entire game that allowed you guys to get better looks and shoot a better percentage?

LeBron James: Well, we did a great job of coming down the early offense and getting to our offense a lot quicker, attacking a lot quicker before their defense set. They're very good when you allow them to set up. So we did a great job of coming down early on offense, moving the ball, getting it from one side to the other, drive and kick, and it worked for us.

Q. LeBron, you said earlier today that this was the biggest game of your life; you responded. What was different? Did you realize that just you've got to play at a different level at this point?

LeBron James: It's all or nothing at this point. You either make a series and be 2-1 or you make the impossible and be down 3-0. It's common sense. For me it was the biggest game of my career, and I was happy that my teammates were able to help me get through it, and we won a big game.

Q. LeBron, the question on the dunk with Rasheed, just describe the play.

LeBron James: Any time you get on offensive rebound, it allows the defense not to set. So I just wanted to try to be aggressive and I was able to get to the hole and seen the open lane and was able to make something happen.

Q. Can you talk about the last shot you made over Rip with 16 seconds to go. Can you talk about that play.

LeBron James: It was definitely an opportunity for me to just -- just wanting to be aggressive and try to see the whole floor. If a double-team came, try to get the ball up, and if not, try to be as patient as I could, try to get the shot clock, try to get some time off of it. I didn't want to force it to the basket. I was able to take just a very comfortable mid-range jump shot and it was a big play for us.

Q. LeBron, after all the debate over the first two games, are you feeling any sense of vindication whatsoever after this win?

LeBron James: No, all I'm excited about was I was able to get a team victory. This guy sitting next to me is growing up before our eyes, and he played some big minutes for us tonight. Defensively he was very in tune and we responded.

Q. You mentioned Daniel grew tonight. Do you feel like you grew a little tonight, too?

LeBron James: I grow a little every night. I need my teammates out on the court to make me grow. You see a guy like Daniel, as young as he is and as young as I am, we're out there working as hard as we can to try to win ballgames. It's a great opportunity and great to see he made the most of it.

We ain't done yet. We've still got to hold down home court and try to make it a three-game series.

Q. It just seemed like you were not only trying to push along Daniel but everybody else on your team. We could see you during timeouts yelling encouragement. What were you thinking during timeouts and what made you grow aggressively in the huddle?

LeBron James: Being in the same situation honestly in the first two games, you don't want to let one slip away again. I could see if we could just get over the hump finally, we could win this ballgame. We finally got the stop that we needed. We finally made the offensive execution play that we needed. I wanted to make sure that the guys were very in tune and know that hey, we need one more stop here, we need the offensive execution, and win the ballgame, and the guys responded.

Q. Could you talk a little bit about Zydrunas and when he's playing like he did tonight, what that does for the rest of your offense?

LeBron James: Well, it definitely helps us perimeter guys when you have inside presence, and Z shot the ball extremely well. He defended extremely well and it just spreads the defense out when you have a guy that's seven-foot tall that can shoot outside jumpers and get to the lane. As perimeter guys we need that production out of our bigs, and he showed up tonight and it was great to see.

Q. When you were preparing for this game we asked you what you specifically wanted to do, and you said that you personally wanted to be more aggressive. Can you analyze for us to what degree you were more aggressive in this game and how.

LeBron James: Just not holding the ball as much and allowing our defense to set. Like I said before, they're very, very good when you allow them to set up. I was very aggressive early in trying to attack before their five guys were able to set up on the defensive end. I was a little bit more aggressive on the post, not allowing their guys to bump me out to the perimeter. Once I started getting some easy buckets, that opened up my outside shot. Very productive.

Q. Daniel, were you nervous at all, either the first time in the game or the second, or in those last three or four minutes of the game, or did the nerves quickly go away?

Daniel Gibson: Yeah, when you're out there on the floor, I mean, you're just out there and you're playing. It's not about being nervous, it's about understanding the situation, and for me I just try to enjoy it. I just try to get out there. If I have a chance to make a play, make it, and just, you know, out there smiling and having fun.

Q. LeBron, you talked about how starved this city is for a winner and a championship, can you talk about the crowd and what that means to both of you guys when you're out there.

LeBron James: Well, we knew it was going to be electrifying tonight, first time since '92. Like I said before, I was a WWF fan at that time, so I don't know what Cleveland sports was doing at that time.

The crowd was exciting. We need them to be the same way on Tuesday because they really helped us. It gets us a little bit more energy when they're out there cheering. I mean, they deserve it. We haven't had a Cleveland sports team or Ohio sports team win in a long time, so they really deserve it.

Q. Daniel, how would you describe LeBron's dunk on Rasheed?

Daniel Gibson: Words probably couldn't even describe that one. It was sick. It really sparked the ballclub when he did it, and he makes those type of plays all the time, and it's incredible to see.

Q. LeBron, having won a game like this, do you feel like now you've learned how to win close playoff games?

LeBron James: I've won a lot of playoff games in my two years in the playoffs. I mean, I just try to be the best player I can be out there for my teammates. You learn from mistakes, you learn from wins and you learn from losses, but this game doesn't put something on me where it's saying, hey, I've finally done it. I've won playoff games before, I've won playoff series. This is a big game and we won it and we need to move on.

Q. You told us before you did a little bit more unusual pregame preparation for today, can you tell us more about your morning and afternoon and any meaningful conversations you might have had with your family.

LeBron James: It's the first time in my career I've ever showed up to the gym three hours before a game. I usually take my nap before the game, and I woke up earlier today, so I had nothing else to do. I didn't want to sit around. I didn't want to continue to answer my phone about tickets (laughter), so I came to the gym and I turned my phone off and I was here, and the guys were still setting up the camera on the baskets.

The mindset that I had today coming to this ballgame was we have to win, simple as that. We have to win. And me being the leader of this team, I have to be that guy that sparks this team, I have to be that guy that does it on both ends of the floor, but at the same time, my teammates, when they see that, they have to respond, also, with me, and I guess we did it.

Q. Will you do the same Tuesday?
    LeBron James: I don't know.
  2. roscoe36

May 27, 2007

Coach Mike Brown

Coach Mike Brown: What a ballgame. I thought we did a solid job defensively, especially down the stretch in the fourth quarter. We just covered for one another. We didn't always technically get it right, what we were supposed to be doing defensively, and when there was a breakdown, they trusted one another, they helped one another and they communicated, and we found ways to contest shots.

I thought offensively down the stretch we were good. Detroit is a really, really good defensive team. Defensively they team you out of your first option, your second option and sometimes your third option, so our guys did a nice job, a heck of a job, just moving the basketball and playing random offense. But we played random offense the right way. We set screens, we moved bodies, we moved the ball from one side of the floor to the other, and we had some great looks in that fourth quarter.

I thought that Daniel Gibson was huge for us, not only offensively, him knocking down some shots and being aggressive driving to the rim, but defensively.

Again, they're a talented team, and when they run pick-and-rolls involving Chauncey and Tayshaun, a lot of times we switch those things, and that puts a guy like Daniel, who might be 5'11", maybe 5'10", he's a little fella, and it puts him on a guy like Tayshaun Prince, who's 6'9", and he does a job of harassing him as much as possible until he can get some help. He did a nice job of sticking his nose in there, he did a nice job on Chauncey, and then he did a nice job of knocking down shots when he was open.

I thought Z and Drew played a great second half for us, and Sasha had an overall good ballgame, but the guy that was big for us was our guy, LeBron James. He was aggressive the entire ballgame. He set the tone for us offensively, and I thought down the stretch he hit some big shots for us. He had 12 points, three assists, two rebounds and zero turnovers in the fourth quarter. That was the difference in the ballgame. We need that aggressiveness from him, especially at that point. He was huge for us the entire night.

The pull-up jump shot that he hit to bring us up by four, all I can say is wow, unbelievable player.

Q. You've talked about LeBron growing as a leader through these playoffs, what did it show you today that he came to the gym so early and put so much work into pregame and talked about what he felt his responsibility was even before the game even started?

Coach Mike Brown: It was great. I thought he came to the gym early a couple of times during the year. I guess he told you guys he didn't, so I guess I'm wrong. That was terrific. Again, he set the tone. He knows this is his team. He knows we go as he goes, and he's not afraid to step up and take responsibility for it, and that's what he did today.
    Again, he set the tone by aggressively driving to the basket. He put the onus on the referee to call a charge or a block or whatever you want to call it, but he's coming.

Q. Larry Hughes only played about four minutes in the second half, was his foot injury or whatever happened to his foot in the first half any of the reason for that?

Coach Mike Brown: Yeah. I was watching him play, and you know, he was doing okay for us, but he was limping. You know, I felt sooner or later it was going to catch up to us. So I went with Daniel Gibson, and it was just because I saw him out there limping and I didn't think -- I thought sooner or later it was going to catch up to us, and so I made the change.

Q. What did you mean by "random offense," and when did you guys use that?

Coach Mike Brown: Well, we had sets that we were running down the stretch, but they just loaded up and tried to take the first option away and then take the second option away. We feel like we have a lot of stuff if the first option and second option is taken away that we can get to or go to, and our guys did it. They didn't just hold the ball and keep it in one spot. They moved the ball from one side of the floor to the other. Sometimes we moved it back. We set pin-downs at the right time, we popped at the right time, we drove it and kicked it at the right time, and that's stuff that you work on all year and you hope to see unfold in situations where you're playing against a very good team when they take you out of your first or second option. You hope to see that kind of stuff happen on the floor.

When a team is able to do that, just to play basketball when the first or second option is taken away, then you can become a very good offensive team.

Q. They didn't play really any zone in this whole series until the last few possessions of the game, did that take you guys a little by surprise?

Coach Mike Brown: No, they played it earlier in the game. They went to their 3-2 zone and they were playing boxes and elbows because we had LeBron in the middle of the floor, we had Daniel Gibson, who had been shooting the ball well, on one wing, and Sasha, who had been shooting it well on the other wing, and we were going to play pick-and-roll and roll Z down and let Drew find the roll. If they were going to pay that much attention to LeBron, we knew that he would drive it, draw the defense and find the open guy. He made a great pass to Daniel Gibson, who had a wide-open three, and that usually goes down.

Again, if they play boxes and elbows like they did tonight late in the ballgame, we've got to be able to step up and make plays and make shots, and if we do, that might get them out of it some.

Q. Was there anything you guys did differently tonight in the last two minutes of the game, or was just the end result of the game different?

Coach Mike Brown: I thought we were aggressive. You know, I thought on both ends of the floor we did a nice job of being aggressive. We weren't back on our heels. Usually a lot of times against that team, they're the aggressors coming out in the third quarter, they're the aggressors at the end of the ballgame, and I thought our guys did a solid job attacking and not settling. And then LeBron stepped up and put us on his shoulders, and he said, come along for the ride, and we all hopped on, including me.

Q. Can you talk about going to Z in the beginning of the third quarter there just for some stability to get some baskets, to avoid that third quarter problem out of the gate?

Coach Mike Brown: Well, one thing I wanted to try to do is try to spread the wealth a little bit. We've got to try to make the other players work some, so I went to Z some tonight, I went to Drew there for a stretch tonight, and I even went to Sasha. I have to keep doing that during the course of the ballgame and not try to force feed LeBron all the time. I've got to let other guys score some baskets or get some looks for us because they may get rolling. You know, they may have big games for us, and Z did; he shot 50 percent. Drew almost shot 50 percent. Sasha shot over 50 percent. We need that from other guys. That was the difference in the ballgame.

So going to those guys, Drew, Z, I've got to keep doing that whether it's the beginning of the first quarter, beginning of the third quarter or during the course of the ballgame. I've got to keep getting those guys some looks.
  3. roscoe36

May 27, 2007

Coach Flip Saunders

Q. This is the third straight game that Chauncey has had some struggles in the backcourt, was really struggling today, can you talk about what they're doing.

Coach Flip Saunders: I thought tonight he had some good looks, missed some early shots. He may be pressing a little bit at this point right now. You know, both Rip and him just were not very effective. We'll have to look at the film and see some things that we have to do. But I thought that our other guys actually, I thought Sheed and Chris were very good.

We got off to a rough start. We were very good early to get us back into the game, put us back into position. They just -- I guess we'll have to look at the film and see what we have to do.

I mean, they're trapping him hard, but I thought outside of that he got off the ball and he had some looks, just was missing open shots.

Q. All three games have gone down with a minute left. It's been undecided. Is this what you're expecting from the rest of this series?

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, I mean, we thought -- when you get this far you're going to have tough series. I thought the difference was they made big shots down the stretch. LeBron hit a couple unbelievable shots. I thought Gibson was great. He got his hands on a lot of balls, hit some big threes early, made some free throws late, got a big offensive rebound. That's the way the team has played because we're a more defensive-oriented team and low-possession games you're going to have low-scoring games, and it doesn't surprise me now.

Q. Other than Hamilton in the first game, can you talk about the play of your guards in this series?

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, they haven't played -- not what you'd expect, two all-star type players. They've struggled a little bit. Cleveland has been somewhat aggressive at times, but Rip had some open looks tonight and just missed some open shots. Just got to get them going. We'll have to look at the film and see, but -- and I thought that defensively Rip was -- it's like he was letting the offense -- because his inefficiency offensively was letting it affect him defensively a little bit; he had some missed assignments. We'll have to look at the film. When you're struggling a little bit, you try to get back to basics.

But I thought it's one of those things, we need to get some easy buckets, get some transition buckets, get your confidence going a little bit.

Q. You always say the same thing about your team, but over the last three minutes of the game Chauncey gets in and it seems like the urgency steps up. Did you feel like your team had that earlier?

Coach Flip Saunders: Yeah, I mean, I think that they were -- they got off to a great start, played with a lot of energy. We fell behind, fought our way back. Took the lead but never got in a situation where we could extend it. There's always -- when you're facing the opportunity of maybe getting beat, your urgency is always going to be a little bit more. I thought overall Sheed played good and I thought Webber was good early, I thought McDyess was good, and I thought that Tay overall was good offensively, missed some shots, got stripped a little bit.

But for us, like I said, because we're geared so much to our two guards being our leaders a lot and going at them a little bit, we've got to get those guys going. Because what happens is when your guards aren't scoring sometimes it sucks their energy out a little bit. Chauncey got going a little bit late, he hit a three, he got going a little bit, so I think it's back to where you've got to be a little bit better offensively to create defensively.

We've got to score more points. I think if in this series we were going to get into a rhythm to score more points, we're going to have the ability to win game.
  4. roscoe36

May 27, 2007

Chauncey Billups

Q. You look at the stats, you and Rip were 6-for-22, seven turnovers, five assists. Do you feel if you guys come anywhere close to your normal production, you come out of here up 3-0 in the series right now?

Chauncey Billups: Yeah, I do. With our team, the way that we play and the way that our plays are set up, if Rip or myself -- if Rip and me are having a bad night, at the same time it's going to be tough for us to win.

It doesn't happen often. Sometimes one of us gets going. Tonight neither one of us could really get going, and it was kind of funny, we still had chances to win the game. We still had great, great chances. You've got to tip your hats to them. They played good. They hit some tough, tough shots. LeBron hit some tough step-backs, Gooden hit a good clutch shot. You've got to tip your hats to them.

You're right, when myself and Rip are not having a good game at the same time, it makes it tough.

Q. Could you talk about what they did defensively against you, if anything, that was different than maybe the first two games?

Chauncey Billups: You know what, nothing really. There was nothing that they did differently tonight than they did the first two games. I mean, they helped on me and did a good job with me the first two games. There was no reason for them to really switch up, so I can't say that there's nothing that they did that was a change that made it effective. They stuck to the same thing. They just tried to trap, did the same kind of things that they did the first two games.

Q. Will you talk about you and Rip not getting going, did you feel in the first two games more of it was what Cleveland was doing and tonight was just you having an off-night?

Chauncey Billups: Yeah, I think so. And like I said, they played good. I can't take nothing away from those guys. Got to tip your hats to them tonight. But when our top two scorers don't play very well and don't shoot very good, we're going to have tough chances to win. Like I say, if either one of us gets going tonight, we're sitting up here talking about we're 3-0.

But we didn't, it is what it is, and we look forward to Tuesday.

Q. Could you talk about Daniel Gibson. He really seemed to have not a lot of points but definitely made an impact in this game tonight.

Chauncey Billups: I thought Daniel Gibson was huge for them today. He hit some big, big baskets. He forced a couple turnovers. I thought he played great. He's a guy that they bring in, he spaces the floor because he can shoot it. He can shoot it, and not only that, he can get to the basket and make plays. He's a very good, young player. He made an impact for their win tonight.

Q. Did you consciously, you and Tayshaun, in the switches, when they switched, did you consciously go after him?

Chauncey Billups: Go after who?

Q. Gibson. You had a size advantage.

Chauncey Billups: It's not really him, that's the play. It doesn't matter who's guarding Tayshaun. We feel like we can get him with his back to the basket eight, nine feet away. It doesn't really matter who's guarding him, we feel it's an advantage. We run the pick-and-roll just to see sometimes what they're going to do. A lot of times they've been switching it with whoever it was, and sometimes the guard will go under. We just want to see if they'll change up their coverages, and they didn't, they continued to switch it, and we throw it back to Tay and just try to let him make a play.

Q. Do you have an idea in your mind what they're doing to stop you guys, or is this a situation where you have to go back tomorrow and look at the film and figure out something from scratch?

Chauncey Billups: You've got to look at the film. You've got to look at the opportunities we had, why we couldn't take advantage of them. Right now all I can do is rewind it in my mind, and that's a little different from sitting down and watching it on tape. You know, I've got an idea, but we'll have to see. I'll look at that tape, and sometimes my idea isn't the right one, until I look at that tape and we'll make a collective effort to judge what's going on.

I got an idea, but we'll see.

Q. I know these are low-scoring games, but it seems more than a coincidence that other than Hamilton's first game I don't think you guys have had anybody score more than 15, 16 points in any game. Do you have to find some way to get going?

Chauncey Billups: Yeah, we will. We definitely have to find a way, either myself or Rip. I think everybody else is playing well. Tay bounced back and had a good game tonight. Sheed was good, our bench was good. It's myself and Rip that are lacking and not playing very great right now. As the leader of this team, you've got to take that responsibility head on and say we've got to play better. We've got to play better. For us to have a chance, we've got to play better, and that's all it is. That's all there is to it.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks Roscoe. A nice read.:good: