Detroit #1 pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by boozy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

Anyone else catch the interview with Joe D on how he (admittedly)screwed up with drafting Darko but he made up for it by trading him for a first round draft pick from Orlando, which he used to pick up Stuckey. Man he sure seemed proud of himself So in a round about way Rodney Stuckey could be considered a #2 overall pick ;()

Although it still sucks when I think about D-Wade, Bosh, and Mello after Darko got drafted ;(

2. max

max All-Star

Assuming Darko was not there would he have picked Melo or Bosh? Can Stucky be better than them?

If we sign Bosh and Stucky turns into an all-star then it actually would have worked out for the best.

3. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I wonder if Stuckey would have fell more then 15 in that draft.

Melo should have been picked of course. Either Melo or Tay would be VERY GOOD 6th mans.

4. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I caught that and he was laughing like what the crap was I thinking for drafting him. But by him drafting that bum we got Rod.

5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

The man's becoming delusional. Stuckey's going to be good, but not good enough to make up for that mistake. "We got this decent prospect from a trade centered around some big eastern European slouch, whom I drafted while Carmelo, Bosh, and Wade were available, who everyone thought would be great because he did pretty well in the twelve minutes per game he got during last season in the Serbian farm league SO BLAM I'M STILL THE MAN hahhhhah." Kind of.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

True. Although Stuckey is amazing me lately. His left hand finishes, and other finishes of dribble drives, not to mention the suddenly very consistent jumper have me pretty pumped up.

He might not be better than Wade but I think he might be capable of reaching Melo and Bosh's level.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

but by far Joe made up for his bad pick.... compared to what Portland got from Sam Bowie (late and top of my head but i think i'm right here).

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think Joe's over it. He made the pick that many others would have that year. Darko happened to have a nice hyping behind him without much data for GM's to go by. Joe fell for it. Live and learn.

9. max

max All-Star

I would not judge Stucky based on his draft positon. Many great players have been drafted later than him. Look at the difference he has made with the starters. All of a sudden the starters get off to leads and the bench gives it up. Used to be the other way around.

The Darko pick still puzzles me. I could never grasp all the hype prior to that draft of an 18yr old who never played in anything substantial. I think we got dupped. Perhaps the kid was hyped just so someone would get fooled into wasting a top 3 pick on him so another player could drop within reach.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

How soon we all forget that Joe also got the services of Kelvin Cato for a year. That trade was a steal!!!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just because we got Stuck several years later does not mean that it worked out well.

The thought is that we probably blew at least one title by not drafting Carmella, Bosh, Kaman, or even a guy like Hinrich.

12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

we'll never know, i could counter saying if we had drafted one of those guys we wouldn't have gotten sheed and we wouldn't have gotten to the finals 2 years in a row.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Then just giving our draft pick that year to charity would have got us a championship, but getting Bosh might not have.

I can't argue with that logic, but what a strange dynamic.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With CB dealing to Melo now, we can get a look at what could've been.

15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Wow, you are pretty high on him. I am not sure how to assess Stuckey's potential. Is he CB level i.e. borderline All-Star or is he a true All-Star PG capable of ave. 22+ and dishing 8-10 dimes? Right now I would rate the following PG's higher than him: CP3(duh), Harris, CB, Davis, Bibby, Nash, Miller, Williams and a few others at his level. This has not been adjusted for experience, PT, etc. In terms of SG I would say there are easily 10 players ahead of him.

When you are comparing him to Melo are you looking at him as a scorer?

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I feel fairly certain he can average 18 + 8.

Yeah, I wasn't saying he was great today, but more like where he might be in 3 years. His upside is huge in my mind. The kid is very, very talented, and unlike AI he has size, and unlike CB he has quicks and ups. He could have a long career.

I mean in value to the franchise. Stuckey could be our best player in 2 or 3 years if he keeps developing like this. He's almost playing at a level similar to Wade in his rookie season.

Bear in mind, this is all based on 5 or 7 games recently. He could start jacking up 3 pointers in warmups, break an ipod, smoke a cartoon of cigarettes a week, drive his sports car without a valid licence and unpaid tickets etc and it would all be gone...

17. max

max All-Star

Oh man, we have to let it go. It is what it is. Maybe we could have Bosh or Mello and still have traded someone else for Stucky. There is no rule that says the only way to trade for #15 is to pick #2 a couple years ahead of time.

Things can still workout pretty good. At least we have something to show for it unlike Orlando. How much better would they be with Stucky right now.

18. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Pistons continue playing this way and they are likely to pick in the 15-20 Stuckey range.

19. max

max All-Star

Wonder how they are going to spin that.

20. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

what if we would have drafted D wade and then did not give him enough Playing Time... would he be what he is now?