Detroit #1 pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by boozy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think time has shown that the problems with Darko were not all on the Pistons. They probably weren't all on Darko either, but when a guy has had 3 years in different situations, with opportunities as a starter, the excuses don't last.

Maybe DWade doesn't become who he is today, a champion and such, but maybe he does. No one really knows.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Both Darko and the Pistons are currently residing in the where are they now file. It's like Spinal Tap without Nigel Tufnel.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Joe basically made an outright stupid pick and violated a cardinal rule. There is no excuse to pick an unknown commodity even if your team is championship caliber and you were looking for a big man. When you pick that high in a draft, you always try to go for as sure a bet as possible, even if it may not be a position of immediate need. Picking outside the top 10-15 is more of a crap shoot but you always try to get kids from a good school, w/ good coaching and pedigree. Worst thing that could happen is that you pick a guy like Wade and then trade him for a pieces or pieces that you need i.e. his value goes beyond his immediate impact.

And Stuckey does not make up for losing out on Melo, Wade or Bosh IMO, he just lessens the blow. Bosh being a big man is a rare commodity, Wade is simply a better talent and player. I am waffling on Melo, though at this point he is a better player, I would rather have Wade or Bosh than Stuck.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

What was the two-word review of the album "Shark Sandwich" again?
    ...hmmmm.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"We're very lucky in the team in that we have two visionaries, Curry and Sheed. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water." T. Prince
  6. BallDon'tLie

From Det. News:

Piston Reserve Guard, Will Bynum Dies in Spontanious Combustion Incident

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Rasheed: I, for one, do not think the problem was that the team was down. I think that the problem may have been that there was a Pistons team on the floor that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.Curry: I think you guys are making too big a thing of this.Rasheed: "Making a big thing of it" was kind of the whole idea.Curry: Joe gave me a drawing that said New Rotations. Now, whether or not he knows the difference between effective and ineffective is not my problem. I do what I'm told.Rasheed: But you're not as confused as him, are you? I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Joe.Not as good as the fire and ice one, I admit. But I'm trying here!
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's actually hiralious. Very apropos too. Could probably have an entire Pistons/Spinal Tap thread. We're not quite that big of nerds though... I don't think.
  9. BallDon'tLie

I'm a big Spinal Tap nerd.
    ...as big as the armadillo in my trousers.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I used to think that people online all the time are nerds.

But now that most of the western world is online, I think it is safe to say almost everyone is a nerd.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nerds by definition are only the top x%.
  12. tosher

tosher Second Round Draft Pick

I kind of disagree with the overall point... Dwight Howard wasn't "proven", unlike Emeka Okafor, but he was obviously the best pick... A lot of high schoolers fall in that category. Interestingly, from what I recall, I think Denver also had Darko ranked higher than Melo that yr in the draft, as did a majority of GM's... And right now, Darko, while not deserving that pick at all, would be pretty useful to us believe it or not. He got 5 blocks the other day. He'd be starting for us. not that that makes it a good pick. And it's unfair because all the other picks after him played amazingly... Anyone think Bosh or even Wade would be THIS good? No one did. That's why GM's laugh it off, it's all hindsight, but it's hard to tell the difference between a Brandon Roy and Randy Foye coming out of college (though McHale's obviously an idiot...)
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We've so been through this. Do you think Bosh or Wade or others would've stayed here without minutes? How much would it have cost to keep them/he? Of course if we tried to BS them/he into thinking he/them aren't ready, like we do Amir or did Darko. Would they fall for the Piston guard driven BS ?
    End result: a wasted pick.
  14. BallDon'tLie

Good post!
  15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

DWade took his team (Marquette U, not exactly a powerhouse) to the NCAA Final Four and recorded one of 3 triple doubles ever in NCAA tournament play. He had other significant achievement at the college level and I think his jersey was retired.

Bosh came out after his freshman year but he had a good rep and documented achievements right through High School.

Go take a look at Carmelo's history, helped his team win the NCAA tournament, their first ever.

Darko was not the right choice no matter how one wants to rationalize it. He was considered a top European prospect but there was none of the history and achievements of players like Wade, Bosh or Anthony.

The point is to mitigate the chances of picking up a dud when drafting that high. You do your homework and try to make the safest choice. Even though Stuckey was from a weak conference he was a high level achiever.