1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit and Oklahoma City Talking Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 2, 2009.

1. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Gawd no on giving away Amir Johnson and our #15 pick this year to shed salary so we can pick up an undersized power forward with a limited offensive game (Millsap). Why is Joe Dumars so hot and heavy for Ben Gordon and Boozer/Millsap? Is Dumars going to hold onto Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess? I can't stomach the thought of watching the Pistons becoming older and more feeble while younger and more athletic teams pass us by.

If the Pistons want Ben Gordon that's fine but something has to give. I wouldn't offer him the moon either, he's a great streak shooter that can shoot you out of a game just as easily as into one. In fact his game isn't much different than Flip Murray's except Ben plays more minutes.

I would take the pick from Oklahoma City for our #15 and Tayshaun but they have to give us back a player as well.

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

There's comes a time in every man's life when he must let go of Amir Johson...:stirthepot:

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There also comes a time in every man's life when he gets personally fouled by Amir Johnson.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think the Pistons hold the rights to the moon so they probably can't do that anyway.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Joe's willing to cut bait on AJ and numerous posters here have gotten jaded with his lack of progress. There's never been a situation where its come to bite us in the butt when there's been this type of alignment. Sure AJ will have some 20-10 preseason games to make us rue the day JD let him go. But then the season will start and he'll fade into obscurity.

I'd hope we get more than cap space out of this...maybe swapping picks on condition

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't remember seeing a statement from Joe to that effect. I think it is the rumor mill that is so hot and heavy for Gordon/Boozer/Millsap.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Who was the last 21 year old starter that we traded?

How can a team go from "needing" a guy on the floor to trading him for a late draft pick and cash considerations.

Why wouldn't Maxiell be the one to be packaged up? Amir expires at the end of next season anyway, so we could let him naturally mature if he still isn't working out. Is it because other teams don't want Max?

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think it is because it would give us the cap space now so instead of having 20 million to spend they'd have 25 to go get 2 top players or Ben Gordon and Paul Milsap.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@TaS, Max's new deal is a boat anchor. Good luck trading that.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Very sad. After our fiasco with too many shooting guards who need to get their shot quota, we could blow half our wad on the biggest shoot-first guy in the entire NBA... who, as the quote goes, "they haven't yet created an NBA player that Ben Gordon could guard."

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I am all for dumping Amir, but we should be trading to move up in the draft and not cut more cap space. Teams with staying power are built around their own draft picks. Get it right and the team is set for the next 10 years. That's why the Darko pick really set this franchise back and perhaps cost them 2 more titles.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

He could probably cover some of the Piston guards, but that won't do him any good.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

That would assume that a team values Amir as something more than contract fodder.

Initially I was against trading the pick thinking DET is just being cheap again, but this is pretty sound in practice if they are re-building through trades and signing. Theoretically this will allow them to bring 2 top notch guys.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You never know, Curry might try it as an experiment. It could really confuse the other team until they make the proper adjustment. Probably not something to try against a Jackson or Popavich.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Very nice!:pound:

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

C'mon, how dumb would such a move be? Why should a team trade a decent pick? Probably Joe's afraid he'll draft another scrub as he did in '04 but he should remember that he got a guy like Stuckey at the exact same position- so why shouldn't he be able to do that again? Besides, Millsap and Gordon may be fine, but they're not that great that you bid everything on them.

18. max

max All-Star

Anyone see Milsap and Ben Gordan taking us to the Finals? Plus given that their current teams want them Dumars will have to overpay to get them. Plus trading away a decent pick.

There must be better options out there. Do a Sign and trade with Tay, Rip, Stuckey or something 1st.

19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is Markie a news bot? :)

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe is not going to overpay for Gordon. Gordon is a $6 or $7 million per year player tops.

Same thing with Boozer. There are only a handful of teams that can pay these guys, and they only have so much room, and so many needs.

For a guy to command top buck, he has to have at least 2 or 3 desperate suitors. If Boozer thinks Joe is going to get into a bidding war with New Jersey, he is smoking something illegal.

Same thing with Gordo. It doesn't matter what he thinks he is worth. It's what the handful of under the cap teams are willing to pay. For all we know, Gordon is the 3rd or 4th best choice for a lot of teams. That means he will face a shrinking pool of suitors as other guys are signed first.

I suspect there is a lot of redirection going on now. A lot of head fakes. I'd look for Joe to take on salary in trades by taking on guys that other teams can't afford any longer. I can't see him squandering a 3rd of the cap or more on such average starting talent.