Detroit At LA Lakers - March 4 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by max, Oct 18, 2005.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I think you're right on all three points (Flip's control of team; Joe's failure to anticipate Darko's attitude issues and trade him for a player like Harrington when Darko's trade value was higher; and the need for a player who can come off the bench and play inside and hit three's).

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Yah sick of the schedule issues being an excuse.O went 6+ minutes end of 3rd into the 4th without scoring.Every team brings their A+ game against us we are the bigboys and everyone wants a swing.Well it's getting time to show these posers what a punch is. We aren't intimidating anyone anymore.Time to start building up for a run and jacking tons of 3's when your not hot isn't the way.

We need to attack the paint and shut it down on D.All pretty simple points everyone has made,but the team needs to start and soon.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I take it we lost. Here's the problem when the 3 is a big part of your offense......by this point in the season they start falling short. Can we please have a game against a playoff caliber team, where we win the board war and score more pts in the paint......That's how a champion gets crowned.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with being sick of the excuses for losses. Indiana has been riddled with injuries and suspensions the past 2 seasons and they've managed to win games no one expected them to win.

Back to Backs would be less of a problem if we played more than 6 players every game.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The Lakers also played the night before... no excuses.

WE have an inside advantage anytime we want on most nights... Sheed down low is usually a mismatch (almost unblockable shot)
    Chancey could back down any PG not named Kidd.
    I'll go back to one of Flip's comments... "we haven't nearly shown our full arsenal"...
    I don't think it's wise to keep the full compliment under cover when you're chasing home court but I do believe there's gonna be some new weapons come playoff time.

6. jammertime

Correction. We have an inside advantage anytime SHEED wants - which is far too rarely.

As much as I appreciate the fact that we have a big that can shoot the 3, I'd like to see a bit more of a balance between the two.

The problem is, Sheed falls in love with the 3 and then completely abandons the inside game. Leaving us with one less body - leaving only the undersized Ben - inside to fight for a rebound.

Sheed is tied for 16th just at the PF position alone, in the league at 2.3 FT attempts per game.

When the shot drops, its great. When it doesn't (which is 63.3% of the time), not so great.

Its not surprising that we're out rebounded in our losses. When the ball goes in, we win, and there aren't any rebounds to worry about.

7. tictac

tictac Second Round Draft Pick

This is my first post to the forum, and I want to preface my comments by saying that I am a long-time Pistons fan. I like watching the Pistons more than any other sport, but this last month or so has really got me scratching my head.

Flip's coaching and rotations are quite the mystery. Case in point, during the 18-0 run last night, it seemed like he was purposely not calling a time out because he wanted the players to work through their offensive struggles. Well, check the ego at the door, call the TO after the first 8 consecutive points, draw up a "sure-thing" play and stop the run. Nope, didn't happen.

I think that Flip needs to put a hard limit on the minutes for the starters from here on out. If he doesn't they will not enough left for the playoffs. Play the bench (Delfino, Evans, Hunter, Dice, Davis) mixed in with the starters, but stick with the bench players to give them a chance to get into a flow. Build their egos now when the pressure isn't so great.

The thing I noticed about this West Coast trip and other games from the last month or so is that their defense is not nearly as consistent when they need it the most. I know that statisitically they are nearly identical to last year in terms of PPG, but I think that is misleading. The dribble penetration by opposing guards and the offense rebounding they give up are really make it hard to get the stops they need. They are also doing a lot of whining to the officials instead of just shutting their pie-holes and playing. Sheed's ball-don't-lie crap and all that is getting tired.

Tayshaun's shot really sucks lately, too. Forget the outside crap and take it to the cup! Same thing with Sheed. Ball-don't-get-to-Roscoe unless Roscoe is less than 15 feet away from the basket.

T

8. jammertime

Nice job tictac, and welcome!

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome tictac!!!

Excellent Recap HERE

"Ugh. It was just plain ugly. I thought it was clear the Pistons were battling fatigue (Ben Wallace had just five rebounds!) not to mention a stretch of bad luck where the refs simply swallowed their whistles — (Rip was simply mobbed a few times trying to drive the lane, and Delfino appeared to have the ball knocked away on the baseline by Kobe Bryant swinging his warm up jacket from the sidelines when he wasn't even in the game!"

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

only 2 things really bothered me in this game:

1. flip wouldn't call a timeout
    2. TP's 2 retarded long shots (with long rebounds) helped the lakers' run.

i wonder what was going through flip's brain, but i also wonder what was going through TP's brain for those 2 shots. the first one he took a few steps and basically shot on the run, and the 2nd was from the same spot...really weird considering he usually shoots only when he has a good look and isn't generally aggressive.

just a poopy game all around.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree, agree, agree. But...

Sheed isn't calling the plays. I'm presuming he isn't the one calling for a pick for CB outside the line with a flip back to Sheed for a 3 shot. That Sheed isn't calling the play that sits him out there waiting for the pass and pop. I'm assuming that after he misses six straight that someone else is calling for him to shoot the seventh.

And if that's not true, if Sheed is really running the offense from the 4 slot, then there's a much bigger problem, either with the decisions of our point, or with Mr Foghorn Leghorn over there on the bench (see G-Man's thread today).

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

BINGO!!! Flip and Chauncey call the plays.

LMAO. Thanks for the morning giggle. Mondays are rough in microworld.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm not buying this schedule losses BS.
    The Lakers were coming off 4 games in 5 nights 7 games in 10 days ... this was an "effort loss"... I was somewhat disturbed to hear Chauncey say "Honestly, it's a sign of fatigue. You don't have the energy to take it to the basket and take that pounding. You end up settling for a shot that's like half-way open".... I dunno, Kobe didn't have any problem taking the pounding inside.
    No doubt this mini break will get them refocused but lets cut out the weak excuses... get Ben some help on the boards... work it inside to Sheed and have the gaurds get inside to draw some fouls... it's the best recipe for "schedule losses" ...schedule losses... yuk

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree. In my opinion the only one who should be able to use fatique as an excuse is Ben. He does alot of the work in the trenches while the rest of the cats are "leaning on thier shovels"

If you wanna be an elite player, you gotta give the same effort as Mamba.

15. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My former NBA friend says that Sheed (and others) don't like to go into the paint because they get beat-up too much. Save it for the playoffs. We'll see!!!

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

really? I haven't seen Shaq hanging out at the 3 each game- or doesn't he get beaten up very often? Or Tim Duncan. Kevin Garnett.
    Or, to go back, Malone, Robinson, Olajuwon.
    The list is endless. Tell me how Sheed's gonna have a formidable postgame in the playoffs if he hasn't done it all season?

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is exactly what I was thinking. Shaq must really get beat up, cause he hasn't left the paint in a decade or so.

On the other hand, avoiding injuries is probably a better long term strategy... especially if you can maintain the best record in the NBA at the same time.

18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

avoiding injuries is very important and this team has been very good at this. But I still don't see how Sheed should put up a solid low post game without practising during the regular season.
    I mean, you don't forget the basics, but that ain't enough without pracise.

19. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

living in LA, I see a lot of Laker games. This was by far the best game they played all year. Kobe gives max effort all the time but the others quickly lose interest if anything bad happens or if they get banged around. The Pistons did nothing to intimidate the Lakers this game. We let them get their confidence (false) and they all played with great effort. We didn't play bad...just listless.

We relied on jump shots with only Ben under the basket and he was effectively boxed out.

This was a typical Piston game of late...if our jumpers fall we win. If they don't fall, we lose. We are not playing even close to playoff type basketball. Nearly all the teams are when they play us. :ohwell:

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sheed has shown he can get his low post game going whenever he wants, and i'm sure he still works on it in practice without having to get hammered. he's done it enough in the regular season to make me concerned with not if he can do it, but if he will do it.