Detroit At NewJersey - Nov 30 2005 7:30PM

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Nov 30, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Just a 10 pt road win against superior team 3 years ago. We passed them and they just ate our dust. You guys post like women before a wedding. Oh, the bench didn't blow them out, and Ben didn't get all the rebounds, what's to become of our team. If Bens on the floor don't get in his way it's his ball. He'll take it from his own players, ask Sheed. Other than that, very good posts.
    The Lions are badly listing on stormy seas and you guy are orgying in a Piston lovefest. Have a good night.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Look, some of these issues are trends. No one on the bench is going off. We are getting outboarded (and for those that watch the games occasionally outworked).

The high flying offense and increased production in transition is great. But I'm beginning to wonder if the Pistons have the weapons to compete with the big boys like Dallas and San Antonio.

No, I'm not jumping off the bridge yet but I am concerned. I know this game. I know what I am seeing.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The stone that always trips you is the one you don't see.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We won

I thought that this game would be a loss in the regular season grind. Winning is significant. Winning without playing our best on the road is more significant. 7-1 on the road. The bench problem was there before and it is there now--nothing new. Don't know about Ben's injury. Yes, Ben can be used more on offense but I hope not too much more. Do we want to go back to throwing the ball into Ben early in the clock as we did often last year?
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

He had his foot in a bucket of ice water in the FSN postgame interview and didn't think it was a big deal. We'll see on Friday.

??? What was wrong with that? It got us to the 7th game of the finals.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ben offense

Detroitteam, I hope that the injury is not one of those nagging ones. On Ben's offense, we got to the finals last year but it was a major struggle and eventually we lost. A loss is a loss and we have to adjust. I thought that our offense was ONE of many reasons we lost. We didn't get a lot when we went into Ben so it seemed to me. That wasn't the only reason but our offense stagnated often. By the 4th quarter of the last game at SA, it basically shut down. We made stops but couldn't score. So adjustments in that area seem to be in order. I don't know what the correct mix (Ben's shots) would be but a repeat of last year will probably lead to another loss. Will Flip's adjustments be enough? And can we maintain some defense? I feel positive on those two questions. I don't worry as much about defense in the regular season which is a long marathon. What I do worry is about the bench. The bench needs to improve.
  7. max

max All-Star

re

I don't know. Have not played any great teams yet. Most of the teams have been good but not the kind of quality Pistons will have to beat in the post-season. It is concerning how so many opponents have been looking like Dennis Rodman on the boards against us. Give up those kind of numbers in the post-season and it will be a short run.

Some tweaking to do but at least the Pistons are padding the wins against teams they are supposed to beat this season.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

another good game coming from the best starting 5 in this league.
    But I can't feel happy about wins in which the starters have been overplayed and the bench showed nothing.
    None of them was able to produce.
    Tay had to play another 40+ game, so did Rip.
    On the long run, this is gonna cost the players needed power (remember last years playoffs)
  9. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I don't recall this being pointed out before, but it's absolutely true. Ben is quite often a black hole with the ball.

The time to get Ben the ball is when he's been neglected and he has a lane to the basket. Please don't give him the ball (at least not very often) when he's got to create a shot for himself.

Once he starts backing down his defender, the play is over. No one is going to double him, so there is usually no one open that he can pass to. Result, Ben shoots a fade away jumper. I'll take that every time if I'm the opponent.

Give me the back door lobs to Ben, not his post up game. You don't see the spin move and dunk very often.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i understand what you're saying, but if you're in your prime and can't play 42 minutes on 3 days rest you shouldn't be in the league. it would be more of an issue if this was a back-to-back, but the Pistons have a plenty of time to recover before Friday.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

ben's injury

i know people won't want to hear this. but this is why i say we don't break the bank to pay ben. this is just a preview of what a ben with no athleticism left would be like. 1 knee or severe ankle injury and ben has no other game to justify the paycheck. where webber had height and a jump shot to help his game after the injury. mcdyess has height and a jumper. well he used to have a jumper ben has no jumpshot. paying him all that money is just too risky at his age.

i can't believe people are calling for ben to get more touches. he absolutely stinks in the post. only 1 poster got it right ben should score off passes not off shots he creates himself.

the bench didn't do well last night. i wonder why evans is getting so many chances to play. i don't think delfino's defense on the nets could have been worse. i'm ready for delfino to get his shot. he's a much better offensive player than evans in my opinion.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

bballjay

Dennis Rodman had a game similar to Ben's and he never broke down. You can't forecast the future. Ben keeps himself in top shape so he should hold up like Rodman. If he half-assed around the court like Darko I guess the chances of his getting hurt would be much smaller.

Evans takes some ill-advised shots. Flip got mad last night after one he jacked up...I'm not a big Evans fan. I'm with you on seeing more of Delfino.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well according to Lee.. the Detroit Evan's did very poorly last night.... if it wasn't for Evans the bench would have dominated... we need to ship Evans to Hunter land right now!... cause he can't play all five of the other teams bench... good thing for our other 4 bench guys though... they were just innocent victims of Evans brutality (he's prolly harassing them during time outs).
    Darko was just this close (pinches fingers) to actually making a shot... more practice is all it will take.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Merc

I think I know where you are heading here. Rodney White is a guy that can guard all five positions and he is still accepting offers from NBA teams at this point (Thank God Miami hasn't snatched him up)

Darko made several shots last night from what I hear. They weren't exactly during the regulation game time if you want to get technical about it...but still he was making his shots.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

No doubt Evans played like an odoriferous gasteral intestinal disorder (fart) last night...but for Lee to attribute 2 paragraphs in a supposed game report on him while making excuses for the others is a perfect example of an agenda.
    Hopefully the forum recognizes a personal whipping boy vs unbiased reporting by now.... Evans has had some nice games this year... the Carter matchup was not a good one... we're lacking a backup lockdown defender at SG/SF... I trust that J.D. will address this before the deadline.
  16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i agree ben keeps himself up. but nobody was investing max player type dollars into rodman either. so there is a different risk factor.

i guess if ben developed a jump shot, passing skills, grew to 7', could hit free throws, played within his self on offense (see not turning your ankle while dribbling too much trying to post up) he could have a long productive career well into his 30's.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Or if a 7'er could clean the glass... hustle for looseballs... intimidate opponents...have a high shooting avg...and dominate every intangible area we might pay that 7' er more than Ben.

I'm not sure where the max contract idea came from... never heard this from anyone in the organization.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ben should be fine

He should be good for a few years as long as we get him some help and we have. His minutes should be curtailed as the year goes along. A fresh Ben is a monster. I agree that he should get the ball moving to the hoop and not in a postup position.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yeah that happened here in michigan too. the nets radio is 1130 as well as the pistons and for some reason i was listening to the nets broadcast instead of the pistons.