Detroit at San Antonio - Jan 12th, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit At SanAntonio - 8:00PM

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TV: TNT
    Radio: WDFN

Max & Micro's Notes: 2nd and final regular season meeting between these 2 teams in 05/06. Spurs will be after payback for the 85-70 loss at the Palace of Auburn Hills Christmas Day.

San Antonio has their maestro, Manu Ginobili back in the lineup as the 6th man. Ginobili is equally as effective off the bench or starting, the decision to keep Michael Finley as the starting SG benefits the veteran who has been uncomfortable in a bench role.

The Pistons will likely be without the services of backup PG Carlos Arroyo after physically confronting a referee earning an ejection during the January 10th game in Oklahoma City versus the Hornets.

Probable Starting Lineups

Your Detroit Pistons

[table=600][tr=tcat][td]Ben Wallace[/td][td]Rasheed Wallace[/td][td]Tayshaun Prince[/td][td]Rip Hamilton[/td][td]Chauncey Billups[/td][/tr][tr=alt1][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs

[table=600][tr=tcat][td]Rasho Nesterovic[/td][td]Tim Duncan[/td][td]Bruce Bowen[/td][td]Michael Finley[/td][td]Tony Parker[/td][/tr][tr=alt1][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

~Tale of the Tape~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~Comments on this game?~~

Pistons win 83-68

BoxScoreAndPlaybyPlay - From nba.com

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Looks like we won't have Arroyo to D up Van Exel or Parker. Will there be an Acker sighting?:eyebrows:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about a Lindsay Hunter debut?

It would be a tough game for Acker to make an appearance in, but pressure shouldn't affect his D if that is all that we ask of him.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This is going to be a tough game to win. We are not especially rested. They will have revenge on their minds with Ginobli back. They have vowed to get more aggressive on the boards from getting beat up in Detroit last time. I will be watching the offense to see if we get ball movement, if we can get Rip open and if we use Sheed both inside and out. Bringing Sheed out on this team hurts them because it takes Duncan away from the basket. You have to keep Parker out of the lane as they go to him in the first quarter. Ginobli's shot is back and Bowen is shooting better this year. We have to attack Horry down low on his defense. Teams have been sending players into the lane to receive passes and that causes problems for their bigs. We have to take the quick look, run the break and finally, on the half court, make the extra pass.

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Outlandish thought

Playing Darko a few minutes against Duncan would help the young man's confidence. I'd like to see it if only to shut up the Darko lovers if Darko can't man up. But also I'm curious to see how Darko would do. A few posters feel Darko can help on Shaq and Duncan in the playoffs. Let's get a glimpse. :ohwell:

6. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

This game is the tune setter of the NBA, I knew the Pistons would win on Christmas Day. This game which we will see again in june almost at the half way of the season is huge for both teams. Now I admit because the way Detroit beat down the Spurs in December that I picked Detroit to lose this game. Now I will be suprised if the Pistons get blown out but I feel there will be a time in the game where the Spurs may go up double digits and look to have all the energy in the world but the game at the end will have a close score game look to it. :nod:

We know Arroyo might not play in this game with the bone head bump of the official. I like to see how this team repsond to one of its players not playing thats in the rotation. Arroyo is not a huge minutes player but he is part of the regular rotation and is big when he can give Billups good rest during the game. Hunter did not even make the trip so it will be interesting to see what the Pistons do. I think Acker is not ready for a game of this Magnitude but what they hey I say play the kid because I feel the Spurs will take this game and for the benefit of Alex you get to see what he can do agains't the best.:confused:

Like last years game at San Ann the score was 80-77 and the game was not that close but the Pistons with Billups shot lights out towards the end to get back into the game and San Ann pulled it out. THis game will have the same feel the first team to 80 will win this game and it will be a high energy game because the winner will have more wins in the W side but the Pistons still will have a better winning percentage. I perdict Spurs 88 Pistons 84( I hope that I'm wrong but The Spurs and Pistons are easy to pick at times):frusty:

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

8. ggazoo69

From that article, Manu should be the difference:
    Ginobili's presence will probably be the most important. On Dec. 25, San Antonio's swingmen (Barry, Bowen and Finley) combined for 15 points on 6-for-17 shooting; Ginobili averages 15.5 points. Ginobili is having an off season from 3-point range, hitting just 32.4%, but still will help stretch the Detroit defense after the Spurs shot 2-for-7 from downtown in the first matchup.

9. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

One of the things I did not post earlier is the TP factor. Tay is the key to every Spurs and Pistons match up. he is the one guy that San Ann can not match up one on one. What the Spurs have been doing lately since the Finals is double teaming Tay every time he gets the Ball. The only way I see Detroit winning this game is Tay goes off big weather it be high assist or big time scoring in the paint Tay is the X factor come Thursday night.:)

Sheed and the three ball is a huge play come crunch time if needed but I think the play where CB post up his man and Sheed standing beyound the arc is a difference maker in the NBA and a unstoppable play when executed perfectly. Niether Van Excel or Parker can check CB on the post and so it leaves no choice but to have Horry or whoever will have to double leaving Sheed open beyound the arc for a open look. WEll this will be a great game to see just really to see how the Pistons respond win or lose.:laugh:

10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Too bad he won't be back until the 16th.

11. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Arroyo MIA

Arroyo missing will effect the game in a huge way if Billups gets in fouls trouble. Other than that I can see him playing all the way thru considering the game will be shown on national TV. Longer breaks. We may get an Acker sighting, but if we get a Hunter sighting, what would that mean?? Darko doesn't look like he may play this game, maybe CHA.

12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Well last time they were without Ginobli and we won. This time they have all their guys (as far as I know) but we are without Arroyo. I smell heavy minutes from our starters while SA goes deep into their quite capable bench. I smell a SA win (hope I'm wrong).

GO PISTONS!

13. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Gotta keep Chauncy out of foul trouble. He got in early foul trouble in game 7 - and now we don't have a backup.

Expect to see Acker only if Chauncey has to sit with serious foul trouble; otherwise we'll see Chauncey play about 42 minutes with Delfino and Tay handling the ball in his absence.

If things go horribly wrong, this could be a good opportunity for Flip to experiment with different guys in the rotation - Davis, Milicic, Delfino.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

actually, only expect to see acker if joe takes him off the inactive list :)

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

warthog...you are not allowed in chat this game...its too important!:laugh:

Did flip say anything? Whatever Flips said just take the opposite and you'll have a good idea of what's going to go on. I predict that if needed Hamilton will slide over to the 1 slot. Evans the 2...with Prince doing a lot of the ball handling duties.

I'd like to see Delfino take on Ginobli for a little bit but we'll all complain about evans' extended minutes.

16. ggazoo69

Seems like Billups should cover Bowen tonight to keep C-Note out of foul trouble. Rip on Parker. Parker could have a field day. I'd like to see him get a hard foul in the early game if he even whiffs getting close to the rack.

17. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

I'm with you ggazzoo! If nobody else wants to do it, put in Jmax.:eyebrows:

18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hehe i'm probably goin by a friend's today so i doubt i'll be in chat anyway...but i thought i broke the curse last time!! :D

prince is fine playing point...i'd worry if a guy like hunter or james was guarding him, simply because he has high dribbles due to his length and could be picked off by a smaller, quicker player. but i don't think parker will be guarding him there, or that it will be much of an issue.

19. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Has anyone noticed that Carlos Arroyo is 5th in the NBA in Assist/Turnover Ratio? Pretty good, since most on this board think he is a bad backup PG.

20. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Per A.S. Blakely -

Acker has been activated for the game tonight. Blakely is supposed to update his new Blog a little later today with the information.