Detroit at Toronto - Weds. Mar 15th 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

You were the guy that kept saying: "Yes sir!" and "ball don't lie!" Yes sie! Balldon't lie! Yes sir! Ball don't lie! Yes Sir!

Then you were out like delfino in the pistons rotation.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I have to give vthomp some credit, he has been very accurate in his game predictions...almost dead on in fact.

Actual score 105-98...good work!

3. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The word is from the Pistons camp that the coaching staff are not displease with Delfino. Evans is just going first in this rotation that they are starting. They do feel that both players deserves to play but they are settling for Evans for right now. It also has to do with how they practice as a unit, apparently Evans practice better with the secound unit for some reason. Delfino plays better in games so its a toss up, but for some reason practice better equates to playing time with coaches.

Flip will add Hunter once he is healthy again, but for the next stretch of games look for the 8 man rotation they displayed last night in Toronto. Delfino may get his chance if Evans just flat out blows.

I don't have a man hate for Evans, but I do like Delfino's game better than Evans for the simple fact that Delfino has actually changed the Pace of games once he was given extended minutes, something Evans really has not done. I want Evans to step up and he does have the ability to be the player the Pistons expect him to be. The only problem I had with Evans is that he has no handles, and he is the one the opposition picks on to score on, and they do score on him with ease.

This team is very strong as a unit that with either Del or Evans it is a good team, its a matter of personal preference of the coaching staff is what it comes down to. Delfino will get his chance before the playoffs and Flip and the coaching staff will make his decision who will be permenant and who will be on the back burner. Right now it is 50-50 and what player steps up in the last 19 games will get the prize of of reg. minutes. Right now Evans is given first opportunity. GO PISTONS!!!!!

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sorry, but that sucks. Evans practices better, but Delfino plays better in games so Evans gets the minutes because of practice? So how you play in practice is more important than how you play in the actual game? I'm not saying that practice isn't important, I'm just saying that ultimately, if I had to choose, I'd rather a player was better in games than in practice. (man, the entire time I'm writing this I can't get the sound of AI's "practice?" rant out of my head)

Its just BS that Delfino isn't playing. If the Pistons like him, PLAY HIM. Don't tell me that there aren't enough minutes for both. I'd rather see Evans and Delfino split the minutes rather than one get all of them.

I like both players and think both can bring something to the team, but what good does it do for one of them to sit the entire game???? Playing both gives our starters a rest, allows both players to improve, allows Joe D and Flip to see what they've got, and they both gain valuable experience and chemistry. So where exactly is the downside???

I'm not talking huge minutes, but if Flip can't find a way to get BOTH of these guys 5 to 10 minutes a game - on most nights, not as an exception - than he shouldn't even be considered for coach of the year. We all know our starters have game - that's no surprise. All Flip has to do - and is doing - is sit back and watch the game. My WIFE could coach these guys to a Division Title by only playing the starters. I know that the coach needs to "win now", but you don't have to do it at the expense of winning later or developing your bench. That's how you ensure long term job security. Its a "what have you done for me lately"? league. Division Titles, Conference Titels and Championships are all great when you win them, but every time you do the expectations raise a little higher.

(P.S. vthomp: this rant wasn't aimed towards you, I'm just really not happy with the way our bench is being misused and mistreated, IMO and you just happened to mention it.)

5. collins18

collins18 Second Round Draft Pick

Yeah I really hope carlos gets another chance. I didn't see anything impressive from Mo last night.YOu would think he'd go all out because this is his chance to clench his spot in the rotation

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point. Remember last year when Dupree had that career game and made the playoff roster? I'm looking for that type of effort.

7. collins18

I think Flip is going to be on the Radio today I'm not sure what station . I f I can remeber where I read it I could check. I do know that he is supposed to be on around 4 or 4:30. Maybe it's THE FAN, on 1130. So maybe we will get some more info. on this subject.

8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What wrong with putting in Davis for a few rebounds?

9. collins18

Oh yeah I forgot about that .I just hope everyone gets their fair shot thats all. I"m rooting for whoever comes out and plays with a lot of heart and determination. I'm rooting for whoever can best help this team win another championship.You know an iteresting fact that I forget a lot is that Carlos Delfino won a gold medal with Argentina in the last Olympic games. So that shows he has expieriance in big games. He was an important player on that team too. I believe he was a starter.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't even care what Flip says anymore. He's already proven that its only talk. He hasn't backed up anything he says.

11. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Look at it from a Pistons point of view.

I know in a NBA the the best player gets to play, but if we look at this situation from the Pistons point of view than it can make since a little(or mabe not). Evans is 27 yrs old, he is on a bargin basement contract at 1.5 million for 3yrs. It is in a finacial intrest to get this player up to speed more than Delfino. Delfino is a future starting material and will cost the Pistons more Money than what Evans is putting on the table.

For now if Evans can't provide what they want, they know they have another option in Delfino and will pull his card and go forward at little cost in losing Evans. If Delfino keeps growing with his upside someone will offer him a contract the Pistons may not match(maybe).

Even tough I like Del better I do understand why Evans is given first run in the last 20 games from last night. GO PISTONS!!!!

12. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Right now Delfino costs less than Evans, salary wise. Why not play the player with the most upside and see what he can give the team when provided consistent minutes? We already know what Evans can give us.

13. collins18

I was wrong delfino was not a starter on that Olympic team. He was a reserve. Not that it means much.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

lindsey has food poisoning so that's why he's not playing.

15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Neither one is going anywhere soon. Mo is inked for 2 more seasons and Fino for one plus a team option. There really is little economic pressure to act.

Judging from the plan laid out by vthomp, I would be inclined to interpret this competition as winner take all, regarding any playoff opportunities.