1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit At Washington - Mar 11, 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. max

max All-Star

Detroit At Washington
    7:00 PM

TV: FSN / Raps NBATV (Windsor Cable 154)
    Radio: WDFN

Notes: Need a quick win? Go to Washington. Last Piston loss at Washington was on March 14 2001. George Irvine was the coach.

2nd meeting of 3 this year and the only home game for Washington.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your comments?

~~​

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hey Gilbert, your team sucks and you are a ballhog. I've watched you play and you are a scorer who always looks to get his own. You have no concept of team, you aren't a proven winner and you run your mouth like a 13 year old. I don't care if you are the #1 scorer in the NBA. Your job is to win games and compete for a championship, not go to All-Star games.

You see those 4 guys over there? The Pistons? They're champs. They have dignity. Heck, Ben doesn't even have a shoe deal and he's a 3 time defensive player of the year. They belong in this game. They're the best team in the NBA. As my man John Salley would say, "You can't touch this". I'll even go further. If you had any useful grey matter between your ears, YOU WOULDN'T EVEN TRY TO TOUCH MY PISTONS!

Utilizing the famous "20 minute stat", you would have had 2 points and no made field goals. I dunno about the All-Star game playing in your head, but Flip is trying to win this damn thing and you're stinking up the joint. MVP my ass.

Hey clown, why didn't you motivate for the All-Star Game? You played like dog poop. So now you are going to play hard for the rest of the season? What were you doing up until this point? Oh right, you were working on your shoe deal...

So you were so mad at being snubbed that you jacked up your shoes with electrical tape? Arts and Crafts with the Wizard. At least you have a hobby to take your mind off all the "disrespect" and "haters".

Do as all a favor. End your career now. I don't think I can handle watching you age and continue to behave like a petulant child. It's embarassing for both of us. Please, RETIRE. You're nothing without Larry Hughes cleaning your mess.

You're not the Terminator. You're the guy trying to make the playoffs. You're the guy who doesn't share the ball. You're the guy trying to make a point to other teams, rather than focusing on getting a win. It's all about you, all of the time. GILBERT WORLD. You got one thing right, it's time for elimination. See you in the playoffs...

Oooooooooooh Nooo!!!! Now it's on, we are gunna settle this like men....

I got a little Arturo "Thunder" Gatti for you. :boxing:

Then I am going to get all "Jean Luc Picard" in this... :fencing:

And at the end of the night, you'll be feeling

DEEEEEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAAAALL!!!

[​IMG]

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

arenas is a clown. this guy in our work basketball league looks just like him, plays the same way, and has the same ridiculous attitude.

on a sidenote, that dueling smiley reminds me of Masters of the Universe for the Intellivision gaming system, where after you made it across a stage on foot, He-Man and Skeletor swashbuckled to a tie for a few seconds before Skeletor ran away and you had to chase him.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

OHH SNAP! I REMEMBER THAT! :)

Wow, that Arenas is quite a character. Sounds like a great fantasy b-ball player though. ;)

5. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No matter how ugly we play in this game, we must win this game, period. Payback time. And this time, Big Ben, make your FT's when it is needed. And to whoever who will be guarding this GA clown, make sure you don't let him score more than his average.

Hopefully Flip will put either hunter, delk or delfino on him more cuz I believe they'll definitely play good D on him.

It's been quite awhile since we blow teams away early, hopefully this is the beginning.....

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i kind of miss that now. i did want more close games, but not any more. we've only been 12-6 in the last 18 games.

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Well. as my father "Darth vader" used to say..."Blowouts dont concern me, Admiral. I want that win not excuses!...kaaaah-sehhhhh!"

8. roscoe36

Chat's open kids!

9. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

:frusty: Very bad lost...defence 0 and Saunders = Minnesota=no defence

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hope some of those optimistic Piston fans will now wake up and show some concern. After holding 6 straight opponents under 87 pts after the Miami loss, we now have given up 96 points in the last 5 games and over 100 in the last three.:frusty:

The guaranteed wins are only when we hold the opposition under 90. . We win the battle of the boards and the paint and still lose:doh: . Our three point defense was non-existence and I believe that is where we loss this game. Also to many turns.

We played two games in the last 7 days and still looked listless. Ben was non existent tonight and Prince who looked good on offense in the first but couldn't stop Butler disappeared after the first qtr. Billups did'nt have is best game either his MVP glow is all but a distant memory....

11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Revelations

We gather on the occasion of this sad recrap: o hark, all ye complainers and have thy way for verily, I say, the Pistons have this eve given you every cause. Words elude me. Gilbert Arenas, he who talketh so much smack prior to the game, hath fulfilled his covenant to wreak vengeance upon Flip, the rooster one, and his all-stars. And the Pistons were laid low, and the lion hath laid down with the lambs, cats and dogs living together, real wrath-of God type stuff…

Not difficult to break this one down. The Pistons flat out got run out of the gym, ran into a more energetic, damn hot-shooting Wizards team, led by Arenas-on-a-mission. We turned the ball over too much, didn’t move our feet on defense, and didn’t rotate to help out when they’d swing the ball, nor when they drove to the hoop. I think everyone who played tonight for the Pistons was guilty of this. Sure Washington was on fire, and even the few times we contested jumpers they made more than they missed.

Offensively, I felt that we started out well, continuing the shift, begun in the Bulls game, of moving well without the ball and getting it inside, either with a pass or off the bounce. We were out to a 20-15 lead and looked like we’d be able to take this one, but the Wizards didn’t roll over in awe and we seemed to get complacent as they got back into it and then took a lead with smokin’ outside shooting (as though we were saying to ourselves: “they’ll miss eventually”), but they didn’t. We were trading buckets for a while in the second half, but then started turning the ball over (10 or 11 times in the second half – 17 overall!; with 18 assists!) and they pulled away. I think we cut it to 8 with six straight points at some point in the third, but they hit two straight threes (one wide-open and one challenged) and it wasn’t close again. After that it was garbage time.

Bright spots: I liked the continuation of the trend to go to the paint (we had 38 points in the paint); Delk broke out in the 2nd quarter with 12 points; Tay was super-active in the first quarter (8 points, 4 boards, a nice dish to Rip on a break), and we outrebounded them (38-30, but obviously they didn’t miss too much). But I think that’s about it.

We looked complacent, in that annoying way that we do from time to time. It was a pretty disgraceful display and the chat was rife with talk of trades and firings and much lamentation, gnashing of teeth, and renting of garments. Obviously, they can’t expect to put in this sort of defensive performance and win many games, but before we go over the top about the end of all that is good and holy in the promised land, we might remember that the Spurs lost yesterday at home to the Lakers, and the Heat lost at home to the Warriors, so it happens even to those teams that even some Pistons fans seem to be favoring right now. Now, I don’t personally care whether we get homecourt for the Finals or not (I could even be convinced by an argument that we’d have a better chance in the Finals as the “underdogs”, without home-court), but it is a goal the team appears to have set for itself and they need to bring it every night if they want to achieve it.

Now we’ve got five games coming up that are should-wins-but-could-lose that we ought to really focus on taking in a convincing fashion, prior to the next meeting with Miami. I'd like to see us start sending some messages, but then, maybe we are hustling people, setting them up to sing our demise, so that we can whack 'em come money time...

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Flips "system" is for clowns. Give me Larry and the catheter drama any day.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think they are just plain bored.

This would be a nice time to give guys like Delfino & the rookies some burn. These games would mean something to them.

I'm only a little concerned. I think it's mostly boredom. There is no excuse for it, but unfortunately, it happens. :ohwell:

14. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Being bored isn't an excuse. As far as I know, Dallas and SA are still breathing down our necks and we are about 20 games away from the playoffs.

15. roscoe36

That's a huge problem.

This team went from wanting HCA, to CB pimping himself for MVP, to getting 4 All-Star berths and now the wheels are coming off.

You can say "they'll be fine" yet if you're watching these games, they are NOT playing well. In fact, they are beating themselves and seem to have lost that next gear.

The sky isn't falling by any means, but if anyone saw Flip's postgame presser, he tried to be flippant (pun intended) about how he's searching for a rotation and would have played the postgame reporters if they could have stopped someone.

EXCUSE ME? The Pistons not putting out on defense? He pretty much indicted the top 6 guys.

I don't know what is scarier, the Pistons not trying (my eyes work good), or that Flip doesn't have an answer besides "get some practice in".

If your coach is good you can win with O or D, but 20 games from the playoffs, a bonfide contender should be hitting their stride, not searching for energy and a rotation.

I'm officially very nervous.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Count me in on the officially worried club.

A championship team should rise to the challenge. The 3's don't fall, time to play some D and go inside. This is bull%%%%. I'm concerned.

17. professor

dudes, i know it's not about me, but no love for that recap? you think it's easy to turn a crap game like that one and transform it into an artful meld of faux-apocalyptic prose, old testament expressions, and ghostbusters rip-offs?? :)

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Scolas, you're the man. You took %%%% and turned it into shinola. I apprecieate the biblical references. If only the Pistons did.

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice recap, scolas. I tuned in online around the third quarter and couldn't believe my eyes. How about Tony Delk? Was he a bright spot tonight? I'm just looking at the box score, mind you. Sounds as if the squad had no defensive intensity. Don't look now but the Mavs are fixin to be a half game back. I think Detroit is in a heap o' trouble with Miami coming on. There's blood in the water in the EC and the sharks are a comin.

20. professor

that's what i'm talkin' 'bout. thanks guys.

and for the record: i don't think we're "fine". i think we kinda suck right now. i just think we will be. in my view, this is all part of the pistons players' unconscious's master plan. i've said it before and everyone knows it. this group of guys (and I don't care which coach they have) has rarely played well with a lead, whether it be in a single game or in the standings. I don't know if it's just that most of them have, both as a matter of fact and as a matter of self-identification, had always to overcome long odds to succed. But here's what I see happening.

Now, the players don't even know this consciously, and flip certainly won't be able to do anything about it, but i imagine that they are going to need to drop further, begin reading national media reports about how they are flaming out, about how the heat and the mavs and the suns and the spurs and the clips and the cavs and the nets and, yes, the knicks are all on the rise, about how disappointing it is that a team that had a shot at 70 wins, that placed 4 guys on the all star team, limped into the playoffs. then, when nobody's on board anymore, that's when the train will start chugging it's way through to the finals and the rings. it's all psychology. and these guys are about as consistent and predictable psychologically as anybody.

The reason I think this is the dynamic actually governing the team is that a) the weaknesses at the moment are obvious to everyone; b) the players, as we know, are capable of addressing them. i.e. the problem is clear and the solution is available, and yet the players don't do anything about it and the problem persists. that tells me that it's at least possible, if not probable, that other forces are at work. it could be the cylons (bsg reference for those in the loop), but i think the more obvious explanation is the one i suggested above.