Detroit FREEP Loves Celtics - Doesn't Think Much Of Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I guess the Free Press doesn't think to much of AJ joining the team.

There is no writer's name attached to the article, and it is easy to understand why.

Pretty sad when one of Detroit's two main newspapers starts pumping the Celtics and knocking their own home team.

Could that article have been written by one our regular forum contributors?

After Celtics deals, where do Pistons rank?

:hoops:

2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Is anything they wrote untrue? The only additions the Pistons made are 'unproven commidities' to the general public... Amir and Rookies.

This is a huge deal for the Celts in the short term, but they totally effed (mortgaged to be kind) their future.

If the basketball Jesus has anything left and Pierce stays healthy they could be REAL tough.

Dale Davis would actually be a good role playing ass kicker center to pair with KG.

3. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

from same article.

The Free Press ranks the top five teams in the East after the recent off-season acquisitions.
    I can see a legit reason to rank all 4 of these other teams ahead of Detroit.

1. see last year, see LeBron still getting better.

2. Short term investment, and it's still the short term. They'll need a decent vet PG and a decent vet Center but I think they can acquire those. Maybe they'd take Flip Murray off our hands????

3. Even I can't argue that the Pistons are better than the Pistons.

4. Noah sounds like the piece they needed to me. Although they lose a lot of pick and pop and vet savvy with PJ Brown leaving. But the Youths should be better than last year.

5. See 2006, They just need the big 2 to be healthy. Is Zo coming back? Smush could help with checking C$, I liked their draft, although losing Posey (who I'd still love the pistons to MLE to backup Tay) will be a bigger hit than most think.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What makes you think it is a he or wrote the article? There is no name attached.

The author doesn't mention AJ at all, evidently not considering his joining the team from the D league as significant.

The Celtics won't win 50 games this year and won't finish in the top 4 in the East. The Pistons, Bulls, Cadavers and Wiz are still better than the the Celtics by miles. Even Toronto and NJ might still be better and the Magic are are probably just as good.

Dale Davis is old and useless.

:hoops:

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I saw the article also. The reporter who rated the tops in the eastern conference is definitely smoking something stronger than kools and newports.

Speaking of crack smoking, I heard Kiki Vanderwehe on Sportstalk 980 here in D.C.

He flat out commented, and I quote, "The Celtics are #1 in the East, better than any team in the West and will reach the NBA FInals this year".

Now that is the mother of all statements.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

What future? They had crap before this deal and at least now they have an opportunity to compete.

This was a great deal for them. Most teams are so willing to suck now trying to save themselves for the jackpot from the magic slot machine of draft picks and future prospects that they pass up opportunities to make themselves better. Then, 10 years later...they still suck talking about how their under the cap and have high draft picks.

The difference here is that what DET has tried to do the last two years (concentrate on scoring more) isn't working, but DET is just saying they have the necessary tools and not doing anything to solve their problems. Every year they have a new excuse (and escape goat) for not getting the job done.

So, the FREEP is actually right in judging that BOS has done something really good for themselves, while DET has stuck with the status quo and is content to try to convince the fans and themselves that they'll get it done. No matter how impressive the young players look in summer league, it's all zeros on opening night and these guys have to produce and if they don't, we're still a competitive team, but not a contender...STATUS QUO.

7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

See 2 first rounders, see Al Jefferson, see Gerald Green...

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

But, that's my point. Those guys weren't making BOS any more of a contender. They may have been talented and producing, but BOS's chances weren't improving with those guys on the team.

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Years 1 and 2 (great move but no cap room and no picks)

Year 3 (hmmmm Jefferson is 2nd team all NBA)

Years 4 and beyond Pierce, KG, Basketball Jesus are all retired or borderline worthless... Not so good.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

First, Pierce played like 12 games last year cause he was injured. Allen was also injured last season, and has been hit by the injury bug in recent years. Garnett is closer to 40 years old based on his minutes played the last 10 seasons. These fossils are going nowhere this season. They'll be lucky to make it to .500 as a team. They have to gel, they have to play some team defense, and they have to PLAY, without missing too many games. I'm figuring on them not lighting it up this first season together.................

11. Chandragupta

Chandragupta First Round Draft Pick

If the pistons are any example... it's hard for 30 + players to play 35 minutes a game and have enough "gas" in the playoffs.

Yes the Celtic 3 are a bit more talented pound for pound than our starters, two have a recent history of injuries and Garnett is nearing a declining age.

Celts better hope that one of the 3 will be able to outscore opponents during the stretches where they need a breather.

I can't imagine their (lack of) bench making any big waves against opponents teams.

The C's should win 46-48 games i think in the East though and make a tough 3 or 4 seed. But they won't go to the finals.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes Al Jefferson would be good in the future, but Bosh, Dwight Howard, Amare, Maxiell, Amir, Oden, Durant, Aldridge, Bogut, Horford, Noah, and many other players are in the same class as Jefferson. They are in the class of young big men who might help their team contend in the future. Only a few of those will actually win it all, so Al Jefferson would not necessarily help Boston contend.

This move makes them a dangerous threat now. If this team wins one title and doesn't make the playoffs 9 years in a row after that then that would be more successful than 10 playoffs in a row and no ring to show for it.

13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

The Freep is seeing things as they are. Consecutive postseason flops doth a trend make. As long as we are led by Flip there is plenty of room for doubt.

14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Boston will undoubtedly be better this season. However, I don't know if they should be considered contenders. They have nothing beyond the all-star trio and it will be tough for them to hang with the East's better teams.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It beats the 1 superstar model.

And at least their 3 players are very different. They will really be able to space the floor. Allen will for the defense to stay on him at all times while Pierce and KG can both score inside and outside.

I'm sure they can find role players who will look way better than they really are when they are playing next to these guys.

If it wasn't Garnett, I'd be sceptical.

16. mikhail1973

McCoskey doesn't think that Boston is going to overtake any of the current leaders in the East:

Even Garnett can't change East

17. mikhail1973

AHN | Celtics New Beast Of The East After Acquiring The Big Ticket | August 1, 2007

18. mikhail1973

To Be Title Contender Again, Celtics Are Looking to Garnett - New York Times

19. mikhail1973

SunJournal.com - The Hot Corner: Celtics land a big fish, but still aren't much better

20. mikhail1973

I guess, there are as many opinions as there are writers. Everybody has to put his 2 cents worth in every publication. We'll see how it all plays out.