Detroit has Secret Workout With Cousins

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very interesting article. If this is true, then Joe D will make every effort to grab him IMHO.

The Wizards are expected to take Cousins' teammate, John Wall, at No. 1 and the Sixers, who pick second, are likely to shy away from Cousins in favor for a sure thing, such as Georgia Tech big man Derrick Favors or Ohio State guard Evan Turner, the national player of the year. That means the Cousins Watch begins at No. 3 New Jersey.

If the Nets pass, the No. 4 Timberwolves will likely do the same, since he didn't work out for them and has sent negative vibes about playing in Minnesota. He performed well in a workout for Sacramento, which picks at No. 5, and declined to go to No. 6 Golden State. His desired location is Detroit (No. 7), especially after spending two secretive days with the Pistons two weeks ago, but Detroit knows it probably will have to trade up to get him." per espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&page=cousins-100620
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm torn. On one hand, you almost have to have a superstar to get to the top in this league, and Cousins has the talent to be a superstar. On the other hand, a negative attitude can be a team killer, and if Cousins has a negative attitude (which his camp obviously denies), then Detroit won't win for as long as they have him.

Maybe they think Ben Wallace can coach the kid up?
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd say the upside if it works out really well is bigger than the downside if he busts. Also, it would be exciting to follow.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, two secret workouts. I hope the word doesn't get out.... :sssh:
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please, can we end the attitude talk, this guy is a fiery, tough competitor. His attitude is more about 19 year old immaturity than anything else.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Get this guy to Detroit, Joe!!! He WANTS to be here and we NEED what he's got? GIT-ERRR DONE, JOE!!!!
  7. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Maybe his agent and his camp are pulling to put him here? They probably don't want him to flame out, or if he does flame out, to do so quietly. Our organization is pretty solid, and we have done pretty good at squelching all but the most egregious player dissent.

If the idea is that cousins wants to go to detroit, like they say, then who ever drafts him will get a call from his agent immediately after the draft and be forced to work out a deal with the pistons to swap picks. I'm pretty pumped.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I sure hope so.

I'm pumped too. If he wants to come to Detroit, and Joe wants him in Detroit, then he'll be in Detroit!! If we get Cousins at #7, Does Joe really need to do anything else with the roster?
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm convinced that the price for trading up is neither rip nor tay but either JJ or daye and 7th pick of course.

is it worth of it?
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tough decision isn't it? Milw and Chi are ascending in the east because they have good centers and great PG's. I think Cousins has the ability to eat Bogut and Noah for lunch in 2 years.....Good centers like that are hard to find, but the ceiling on Daye and JJ are completely unkown right now. Would love to see a frontcourt of: Daye / Cousins / JJ, in 2-3 years.......
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Joe makes that happen, he should go back on our DO NOT DISTURB list for another few years.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Agreed.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If we could get this kid without having to give up JJ or Daye, and in a few years our frontcourt really is:

Daye / Cousins / JJ
    that could be the best frontcourt in the league, SERIOUSLY!
  14. armygirl

Okay Greg, please let's keep it in perspective Big Ace. Sure, Cousins is still immature, he is only 19 and have a helluva upside. We can't blame over eating and not being in shape on immaturity. At least it appears that he is now recognizing his conditioning or lack thereof as he stated in "Outside the Lines" this weekend, he acknowledged this weakness and plans on moving on. I was sort of impressed with the interviews I have been hearing from him, although he tended to put his recklessness on other people.

I am not fully opposed to Joe drafting him because I have watched Kentucky play live and he can eat the other centers in our division for lunch but I hope not literally lol.
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

I think that would be a very interesting frontcourt too. I also like Summers a lot. I think it would be very feasible to see a lineup of Stuckey, Daye (at SG - a position I'm convinced he can handle), JJ, Summers and Cousins, with Gordon off the bench. Great penetration with Stuckey, Daye has point forward point SG skills, great low post play with Cousins and great 3 pt shooting from SG, SF and PF.
  16. armygirl

The talk I have been hearing here in Florida is Rip and Villi for Elton Brand and Joe moving up to #2.

It seems like this rumor is picking up steam. I wouldn't rule out a swap with Sacramento for Tay and our #7 for Sac's #5.
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

I'd love a Rip and Villa for Brand and the #2. I'd happily include the #7 in that deal. Favors would be my pick at #2.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

ok, I have made up my mind: trade for cousins, whatever price is asked.

why? it is gambling in the name of possible future superstar. he can make the difference.

because of... daye, jj are nice players but with or without 'em - no big difference. what is the difference between 6th and 8th spot? nothing.
  19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Where have you been hearing this? Two bad contracts for a potential star AND moving up for a #2? That sounds too good to be true.
  20. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

I third that!

This would be our most interesting player to come out of the draft. A huge step in the right direction.