Detroit has Secret Workout With Cousins

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ben W almost looks shy to me but thats only the impression I've gotten from tv so it might be completely off.
  2. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

The kid is 19, with one year of college on his belt..Are we worried about his likability, charisma and outspokenness?

Maybe we need to evaluate what we have in the frontcourt:

Frontcourt consists of Chris Wilcox, CV, Maxiell and JJ.
    Who's the starter and who's the back-up?

Big Ben and Kwame Brown (true center) are free agents.

JJ has a good work ethic.

CV would be a great player in a pick-up game.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From the articles I've read, Chris Wilcox helps lost kittens find their way home and loads groceries into cars for little old ladies. That's the type of guy we need more of in our frontcourt.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Wow! I didn't know that you were Rascoe's daddy????

(Actually, that explains a whole lot...)

:darthvader::faint2:
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Double secret workouts? Is that kind of like a double secret agent kind of thing? So really the Pistons have everyone wondering if he is really interested in them or someone else! Another brilliant move by Dumards. He must really have the competition scratching their heads on this one!!
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He sent that message to you too Spud Boy!

Actually, Happy (belated) Fathers day to you Rascoe.
    ...the father of our forum.
  7. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

I enjoy watching the players feed the homeless and build homes during the half-time shows narrated by Eli Zaret.

We need to make the shows longer...That's the mentality Joe needs to have when selecting players to develop our frontcourt.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

THIS happens today, right?
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Are you describing Cousins or Sheed?

On the bright side Cousins is on the seafood diet.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100622/SPORTS0102/6220338/1127/sports0102/DeMarcus-Cousins-is-more-question-than-answer#ixzz0raz7Ah3B

ESPN had the Pistons selecting Coal Aldrich with their pick this morning. I will now get my noose ready. The only plus in that pick is if he wears # 00. I wouldn't get too worked up about this except when I read about the possibility of the great Joe Dumars "sitting back and doing nothing" aka his go to move.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey - by a mile. The only guy on our roster who has the potential to overtake him is Daye, but that's a ways off if it happens. Stuckey is controversial but that controversy makes little sense to me. IMO, he's a much better BB player than his critics will ever admit, and his potential is still unlimited.
  11. coynejeremy

Why the heck is Daye the man around here?

Jerebko/Daye
    PPG 9.3/5.1
    RPG 6/2.5
    BPG .36/.38
    SPG .99/.36
    MPG 27.9/13.3
    FG% .481/.464
    3P% .313/.305
    FT% .710/.821

Daye wins in 1 category. Jerebko is the stud. Daye is an unknown. And Jerebko makes less than 1/3rd the salary of Daye.
  12. Brap

Brap Starter

Don't get me wrong - I love JJ. It's just that I think Daye has a very high upside; you don't find 6'10" guys with long arms who have near point guard skills and a great jump shot. Last summer, the word out of the summer training program run by the guy who trains KG and Billups was saying that everyone there loved Daye. The players there (including KG) were saying that it was surprising that he lasted to the 15th pick, that he really was a player. I think he's going to be great, and that we'll see that development some this year, but also over the next couple years.

JJ is going to be an excellent player in this league, whether off the bench or as a starter. I also think he's got very high potential, just not as high as Daye.

I'd really hate trading any of Stuckey, Daye or JJ. Everyone else on the team is available, as far as I'm concerned - and that includes some excellent assets in Gordon, Summers, CV, Maxiell and Bynum.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Co-sign! I hope that answers CJ's question. Truth is, and please don't laugh, Daye can be as good as Dirk, Same height, same skill set, same jump shooting ability. Now I'm not calling him the second coming, it's this is very unlikely-BUT! if you remember how Dirk looked in his rookie year he was just as underwhelming as Austin was.
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Per 48 minutes:
    Jerebko/Daye
    PP48 15.9/19.3
    RP48 10.3/9.1
    BP48 .62/1.36
    SP48 1.7/1.31
    FG% .481/.464
    3P% .313/.305 (I'm calling this even. One more three made for Daye or one less for Jerebko and it's a tie. No a significant enough of a difference to make any inferences)
    AFG% (via ESPN): .511/.514 (again, almost even)
    FT% .710/.821

Now the biggie:
    ORebP48: 4.2/1.8
    DRebP48: 6.1/7.3

In addition, from 82games.com:
    [SIZE=-1]Jerebko's Shot selection[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Shot[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Att.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]eFG%[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Ast'd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Blk'd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Pts[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Jump[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]39% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].413 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 86% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 4% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 2.4
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Close[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 48% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].545 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 67% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 14% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 4.0
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Dunk[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 6% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].892 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 79% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 8% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0.8 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Tips[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 7% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].488 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0.5
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Inside[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 61% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].573 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 63% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 12% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 5.3 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    Daye's Shot selection[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Shot[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Att.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]eFG%[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Ast'd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Blk'd[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Pts[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Jump[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 72% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].465 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 73% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 2% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 2.9
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Close[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 21% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].619 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 54% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 10% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 1.1
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Dunk[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 4% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].917 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 73% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0.3 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Tips[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 3% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].375 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 0.1
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Inside[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 28% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1].639 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 55% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 7% [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 1.5 [/SIZE]

The fact is that they're different players. Jerebko is an inside, on the break scorer, while Daye is a jump shooter. Daye is a more skilled shooter, but Jerebko is better at getting to the basket. Jerebko is a better offensive rebounder, but Daye is a better defensive rebounder. I don't think either one has reached their upside, but Jerebko probably has a smaller one. The other truism is that fans love bench guys with potential, and Daye has it in spades.

In all honesty, I wouldn't let other teams touch these two. If Jerebko can put on some more muscle (and I think he has the frame to do it), he could be an ideal 4 to team with Daye at the 3. Of course, Daye needs to learn to play better defense, but along with Stuckey and whatever big man they get this year (hopefully one that can both run the court and block shots), they'd make up a pretty solid young nucleus to build around.
  15. coynejeremy

Good explanation, guys. I hate 48-minute stats, though. You can't extrapolate the numbers and assume that players would really perform at that level relative to each other if minutes were equal. If Daye was really better than JJ last year, I'm confident he would have gotten more minutes. With that said, I look forward to seeing Daye prove me wrong.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A lot of length with these two, especially given their coordination levels. They have good footwork, can ball handle, and have nice shooting ability.

JJ is definitely more capable of mixing it up in the paint, while Daye is more of a Tay replacement.
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

BTW, I also really like Summers. I think he could be every bit the player Jerebko is and that he has an upside close to Daye's, albeit more as a power player.

What I question about Summers is is he willing to play a power position? He seems to have more of a small forward mentality. I think he could be a really good SF, but if he has the heart and will for it, I think he could be a Karl Malone like PF - "Karl Malone-like" doesn't mean as good as Malone became, just that he could play that style. He's big and strong and athletic enough to be a monster on the blocks.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's not his game, Summers is a SF all day long built in the mode of a James Posey.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If I could only keep Daye or Jerebko based on last year, I would keep JJ. The guy is a gamer. I think a lot of NBA teams would love either of these guys....good trade bait, but you better get something BIG back in return.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This debate beween Daye and JJ is an easy one to settle. When it came time to put their foot on the wall, whose foot went higher?