Detroit @ Houston... November 18th

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

'Nother big fourth...

from 'Sheed. Nice job Ben, as well, both defending Yao and on the boards.

Don't know what's up with Dyess but Darko played well enough to take a few minutes away from him.

These Rockets look like us from the RC years. Clearly the P's had more talent but Houston was able to keep it close by slowing the game down to a halt. Without McGrady and Yao at the end, though, they had no one to get them a basket when they needed one.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. 'Sheed will have to play Nowitzki the way he did last year to give us a good shot.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Game report

Gee, most of the game, the only question is would Houston make it to 70 points. TMAC saved a bit of face by going out "injured." More likely his feelings were hurt because Tay outscored him so badly. Too bad Tay's outside shot was not falling tonight or it would have really been ugly.

I see a couple shots at Arroyo tonight, and no props. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Dyess missed three wide open shots. And so did others. We got a whole lot of good shots with Arroyo in, and the defense held. The fact guys missed all these wide open shots is not Arroyo's fault. Give me a break people.

Player of the game was real easy. Ben only got credited for 2 steals, but he pried the ball away from Ming a whole lot more than that. You only get credit for the steal if you pick the ball up. Bad stat really, as credit should be shared by the guy who slaps the ball away. Ben was great tonight knocking that ball away from Ming or blocking his shots. Or playing right under his feet so he got bad shots off. And Ben pulled down about 17 rebounds, had 4 blocks. Just 5 points, but one of those baskets was at the 5 minute mark when we needed it. Oh, and he drew fouls on Ming by scoring on him, and by taking offensive fouls. That last one, you could press assault charges for, let alone just calling it a charging foul. Ming hooked Ben at the neck with a serious elbow.

Evans got a couple of offensive rebound put backs and got 8 points for us and got bench player of the game. Dyess got worst bench player of the game, although he did finally manage to hit one shot there in the 2nd half. Darko played good D, got a couple of blocks. Did a lot of showing. Very active. Only played in the first half. He misssed 3 shots I think. Good to see him shoot them though. Only in game practice shooting really makes that shot better at this point. The shot looks good, it will start going down. Indeed, if any shots had gone down for the 2nd unit in the 2nd quarter, they could have stayed out there the whole quarter. Maybe next time.

CB hit some shots, made some plays, but had 5 fouls limiting his time out there. Rip continues as usual to be our most consistent scorer. And our 5th starter, Sheed, simply played good D and won the game for us with his post play down the stretch, scoring on Swift so easily you got to term it player abuse. Oh, and if a guard has a center guarding him, that guard you would think could drive the big guy. Wesley tried it on Sheed and Sheed blocked his shot. Great job Sheed.

With Ben taking Ming out of the equation pretty much, and Tay making life as miserable for TMAC as his aching back, Wesley was left as the only scoring threat Houston had left. Of course, we covered that up soon enough and did not let Wesley hurt us in crunch time.

8-0. First time since 89. If we win tomorro, thats 9-0, matching our best ever start.

The refs refused to call offensive fouls on Ming early, so Ben got smart and gave Ming a bit more rope to hang himself with. Ben simply backed off a bit, making the offensive fouls more obvious. By the time Ming fouled out, he was seriously confused puppy.

Houston tried hack a Ben. Stupid. Ben made one, which means instead of playing good D, they gave us a point, a point we really needed and one they could not really afford to give up at the moment with just over 2 minutes to go in a still tight game.

Ben got kicked in the leg during that last offensive foul / mugging by Ming and missed the last minute or two of the game. Hope he is ok.

Five and counting. Five times Darko has gotten real minutes in a game now this season, and still it has not cost us a loss. Dallas tomorro night, and I expect it will be 6 games. And 9-0 for the Pistons. GO PISTONS!!!!!

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ben and sheed won the game for us in the 4th. i liked arroyo's rebounding and intensity of the bench, he earned us some tough points. we also missed 3 dunks and didn't shoot well from the line.

it was a slow game for sure, houston seemed content with turning it ugly ... but forgot the pistons know best how to win those. i really would have liked to see delfino get some minutes though, i think he could have added some intensity to the game.

and yao almost had a triple double, 20 points 11 boards and 9 turnovers!! heheh

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I prefer Bang-A-Ben. It flows better. Hack-A-Shaq works, but I'm not feelin' Hack-A-Ben.

Other than that, nice recap. :eyebrows:

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

In love with Arroyo

Lee "I See What I Wanna See" 356. Arroyo didn't look all that good to me. He seems to play well every other game. Three assists and three points in 18 minutes. I hear ya that guys missed shots. Just means the point guard needs to penetrate and create more. In other words, put the team on his shoulders. Arroyo doesn't do that. Even Walton said something to the effect that Arroyo "dribbles too much."

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know its still early and I know Prince is still young, but I thought that the addition of Evans and a healthy Delfino were supposed to help with Prince's minutes this year?

This was the 4th straight game that Tayshaun has been over 40 minutes in the game.

CD didn't even hit the floor tonight.

8-0 is nice, but we need to give our bench more minutes to see what they can or can't bring. If they can't cut it, we need to bring someone in that can help us. Dice is a proven vet and I'm sure his shot will come around and we know what Hunter brings to the table. Davis will see spot minutes in the playoffs (EC reincarnated), but what about the rest??

Its way too early to hit the panic button, especially since we're undefeted, but I don't see much of a difference in the way our bench is used this year compared to last year?
    :confused:

I know people are talking about how much deeper this year's bench is, but I'm still not convinced. They're a bit too unseasoned for my liking.

7. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Now that Darko is off the cigs, he might be prone to needing more super size meals at fast food restaurants. That could lead to more body fat and depression as the season wears on. For you season ticket holders, keep a sharp eye on Darko during the games to see if he is eating a Big Mac.
    - Don from the DetNews Forum

It seems this "Don" is a man of great introspection, his head planted well beyond his sigmoid flexure.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thanks

Citing Walton for your argument clinches the whole thing in my favor. No further response needed. I will give a more detailed account of what Arroyo did when I review the game again. Any guess at how many good passes I find Arroyo made. Hint: Guess real high.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is a difference

Tonight, Darko got 6 good solid minutes right there in the first half of a game. Dyess only got 16 mintues. Neither Sheed nor Ben were injured. This type of thing is very valuable to Darko's development, and did not take place last year or the year before as it should have.

Evans himself is a young player with little NBA experience. This is just his 2nd full year of playing, and indeed he just passed 82 games for his NBA career. Tonight, he played 16 minutes or so. Would Brown have done that? Rip and Tay could have played more believe it or not.

And finally, partially due to foul trouble with CB, Arroyo got about 16 minutes too. Needed minutes. You got to appreciate what minutes the bench did get, rather than worry too much about how much more they could have gotten. Sure, I would like to see the bench play just a bit more. But no way I am going to complain as long as several players continue to get at least some real minutes on a regular basis.

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Walton

does say a lot of stupid things, Lee. Almost as many as you. But he's right on about Arroyo dribbling too much. Walton has a little bit more NBA experience than you, I think. He's actually played the game rather than sitting in his house reviewing game tape after game tape coming up with phantom arguments to support your pet theories. I didn't dispute that Arroyo made some good passes. Fact is, if your team isn't shooting well, than you, as a point guard, figure out something else. You drive to the hoop and draw fouls. You figure out a way to get your team a few bunnies. Arroyo doesn't do that consistently. He's timid about taking the rock to the hole. He doesn't turn the ball over much and that's good, but the offense stalls very often when he comes in.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Very hollow criticism

If two more of those shots had been made, Arroyo would have a five assist night in short minutes, the bench would have walked off up 10, and nobody would be saying anything. Further, if Arroyo did go for his own offense more, which he has done a lot of this year, people like you who love to snipe at him would say we need a point guard who is a distributor. Give it a break. Arroyo did fine tonight, made many good decisions, many good passes. For his time on the floor, way more than you could really even ask for.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Game set match...Gazoo

ROFLMFAOOOOO. I'm dying laughing Gazoo. I thought Lee zinged you good with his Walton remark but you fed it right back to him. Shot REJECTED!! You came on like the Pistons in the 4th quarter. Nice try though Lee. You almost had him. :pound:

13. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Aybody know the deal with Carlos D getting another DNP? I thought he was earning more minutes.Anyway, I love that we won a game in which we played so bad. Pulling out these type of games is huge for the big picture.

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

from myself:

"i liked arroyo's rebounding and intensity off the bench, he earned us some tough points."

oops i meant evans

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I won't get too concerned about one game.

Delfino got about equal minutes with Evans the last two games. This one, he got none. Maybe next game it goes back to like the last couple of games. Something to keep an eye on, nothing more at this point. Meanwhile, Evans got good minutes and did well with them.

16. Pastor Flournoy

I think CD is one of the players who could put us over the hump. I really think he should be resting TP more, but maybe that is why he is coach flip, and I am only a "Rotation PLayer" on Pistons forum.

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tay too many minutes

He misses in the second half more as a result. As bad as the offense and the flow of the second unit was tonight, we still got some production that we wouldn't have had before. We finally got the ball to Sheed where he could score. My biggest concern is our back-up point play against the better teams. I am hoping for more consistentcy. Our bench player's roles are still ill-defined. 8-0 is great but this game shows that we have a ways to go. Tomorrow will be tough. Can we steal one?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Insignificant observations

I loved Darko's elbow chop on Mutumbo. Pretty aggressive play on the anniversary of the malice in the palace.

I'm just glad Dikembe didn't give him the old 2 hand push in the neck.

All in all, another solid win tonight. Ben and Mo Evans were great on the offensive glass. And Sheed polished off the ending rather nicely.

I wouldn't worry about the ugliness of the shooting. I have watched quite a few Rockets games this year, and that is their MO.

Anyone notice how tiny Ben looked next to Yao? He looked like a point guard.

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

well....i'm home!!!!!!!!!!

and i showed all my buttttt 2nite...i had Houston in the palm of my hand...i met 20 other Piston clad fans 2nite and I wanted 2 have sex with all of them....i cant believe how the rockets fans were...at one point i said to the crowd "this is my house, now, go home!!".. There wAS this cute 19 yr old there and she was enamored with my old demeanor as she yelled with me in her Ben "3" tank top-btw"i wanthr"!!
    ....i yelled my voice out... will give u more 2morrow...we were tough and hard. when we had to be..my bruddah!

20. Pastor Flournoy

I loved Darko's GRIN like "come on, old timer"