Detroit is still Hockeytown in ratings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

From Yahoo:

Hockey beats hoops in Motor City ratings 18.2 to 15.9

May 29, 2:32 pm EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Penguins’ first victory over the Detroit Red Wings on NBC drew the best overnight rating for a third game of the Stanley Cup finals in six years.
    Pittsburgh’s 3-2 win on Wednesday night earned a 2.8 national rating and an 18.2 rating in Detroit, beating out the 15.9 rating for the Pistons’ matchup with the Boston Celtics.
    Game 5 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals drew a 5.3 national rating.
    The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into the broadcast among those households with TVs on at the time.
    The combination of Games 1, 2 and 3 have made this the highest-rated and most-watched opening games of the Stanley Cup finals since Detroit faced Carolina in 2002.

The rating for Wednesday night’s game represented an 87-percent increase over last year’s Game 3 between Anaheim and Ottawa.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not going to dispute whether the conclusion is ultimately false, but consider this:
    • You're comparing the Stanley Cup Finals to an Eastern Conference finals.
    • You're comparing the hockey game on network TV (NBC) to the b-ball game on cable (BSPN).
    • This year, the Redwings are smoking hot!
    • And the Pistons' NBA season was over when the hockey game was on.
    I don't know how much those last two points matter, but the first two skew the comparison quite a bit, I think.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good points Coy, but the Finals are about the 2 cities competing. The external media can stick it where the sun don't shine. Or get with the program.
  4. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

Only in Detroit and Pittsburgh right now does Hockey resonate (because both cities have teams in the Stanley Cup). Outside of those two towns, Hockey currently is irrelevant, useless. Other cities are thinking of the current baseball season, how their football team looks for the upcoming season, and in the case of Boston and L.A., the NBA Finals.

Even if other cities had teams in the Stanley Cup, hockey is mostly a regional, cold weather sport for the Northern, Midwestern, and East Coast parts of the U.S., and the ratings have historically indicated that fact.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Actually there are some serious pucknut-jobs licking up the last remnants of hockey. So it's down to the purest.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have not seen it in print yet but I did hear that the MMA Kimbo Slice match on CBS actually matched the RedWings/Penguins ratings in some cities and exceeded it in other markets.

With a possible Cup presentation tonight lets see if the ratings out point the Bachelorette, and reruns of Bones, House, 2.5 men and How I Met your mother?