Detroit Lions 2006 Season Talk

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Typical Lions. They did it again. They won a completely meaningless game in a completely meaningless season to lose the first pick in the draft. Last year it cost them Reggie Bush, who will it cost them this season?

Congratulations Lions, on your 3rd win of the season. You must be so proud.

2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Say good bye to the #1 pick and any draft leverage to potentially trade down. They are the most pathethic franchise in sports. Win they win they lose. Oh and that win was so impressive the old man WCF is going to keep Millen on for another year. :cheerleader:
    How about that??

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cannot be called a bittersweet victory as the team flies home happy. Hopefully the number two pick is a game breaker and tbey have their second and third round picks!

4. jammertime

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY - Lions Season Recap

I'll do 3 seperate posts, starting with.... THE GOOD

Jon Kitna
    He became only the 2nd Lions QB to throw for over 4000 yards in a season (Scott Mitchell was the other). He also became the 1st Lions QB in history to take every single snap for the season. A full season without a QB controversy, another Lions' first. While he's far from perfect, he did a good job with a really, really bad line. Not a long term solution, but given that Martz's offense is so complicated, he did well in his first season with the club (and the system) and proved to be the leader the offense was lacking.

2006 stats: 372 of 596 (62.4%) for 4208 yards 21 TDs and 22 INTs

Roy Williams
    Teamed with Furrey to for the Lions' first tandem to go over 1000 receiving in a season since Morton and Crowell.
    It took them 14 games, but it looks like the Lions finally decided to go to Williams in the red zone, as he had 4 TDs in the final 2 games.
    Has the deep speed to stretch the D, the hands to make the highlight catch and the size to go up and get the ball. He really bossomed under Martz's pass happy offense.

2006 stats: 82 catches for 1310 yards and 7 TDs

Mike Furrey
    Furrey became the first player in NFL history to gain over 1000 receiving yards after having 0 the previous year (he was the starting Safety for the Rams last season, leading the team with 4 INTs)
    The guy is just a warrior. A true professional. Shows no fear going over the middle, runs crisp routes, has great hands, excellent speed and mental toughness. Would be an ideal slot receiver if BMW can step it up next season.

2006 stats: 98 catches for 1086 yards and 6 TDs

Cory Redding
    Redding is a bit of a tweaner on the line. A bit slow on the end and a bit undersized in the middle. Like Furrey, he's another Marinelli type guy. Also like Furrey, he wasn't expected to be a started, but put up awesome #s when called upon. He had a great second half of the season, especially given that he had absolutely no help at DT. If Shaun Rogers can come back healthy and in shape, and take up the double teams in the middle, these 2 could form one of the best interior lines in the game.

2006 stats: 47 tackles (38 solo, 9 assists) and 8 sacks

Ernie Sims
    The Lions' top pick was able to step right in and have an immediate impact, leading the team in tackles on the season. He was also able to stay healthy, something that was a concern with his history of concussions.

2006 stats: 125 tackles (82 solo, 43 assists) and .5 sacks

Really, that's about all of the "goods" that I can think of right now. Any comments?

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Guys, I was bummed they won too. But then I thought about it and realized they will blow their draft pick irregardless.

Oh, I see Gazoo said that already. I agree. What's the diff?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm happy with the #2 pick. Let someone else reach for a concensus #1 overall. Maybe we will get lucky and the Raiders will screw up and we'll get the best player at #2 (and a slightly lower salary).

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like your list Jammer. Kitna is no long term answer, Williams is overrated (soft and still makes dumb mistakes on routes), but on a team this bad, with so many injuries, those guys are the obvious stars.

8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

They could screw up a wet dream. On another note has anyone heard if Furrey signed an extension/new contract before yesterday I couldn't find anything? This guy is a warrior we need to resign him IMO. Time to get excited about the draft and how this team can screw up this year's pick.

9. jammertime

I haven't heard anything either. They were also trying to re-sign Redding before today as well. By signing them before today, they could split the signing bonus up over this season and next. After today it all counts against 2007's cap.

10. jammertime

I'd add Hanson to that list as well. Mr consistent did everything asked of him this season.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just think...that win probably saved Millen's job for another year. I'm sure he will spin it to WCF as though the Lions are making progress under him. The sad thing is Ford will buy it.

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

From Mike O' Hara in the detnews this morning:
    "When linebacker Ernie Sims stopped Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's desperate scramble at the 1-yard line with nine seconds remaining, the players and coaches exploded in joy. They danced on the field and hugged on the sideline."

Yaaay, we're 3-13. We ended the season on a high note. Pathetic.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good post Jamm.
    The BAD:
    The Dline the Linebackers and the Secondary.
    The defensive coaching schemes and defensive play calling.
    Our below average Oline. And resulting poor run production.
    And on a personal issue, lack of offensive ingenuity.

14. jammertime

To answer your question, the Lions were unable to re-sign either Furrey or Redding before the deadline.

They did however restructure a couple of contracts to include "unattainable" incentives that go back to the team for cap space.

(full details at bottom of first page of link)
    MLive.com: Everything Michigan

15. jammertime

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY - Lions Season Recap

Part 2.... the BAD

Corey Bradford
    This guy just sucks. He was signed to be our #2 and then sucked so bad that he was released after 1 game. Then, the Lions sucked so bad that they actually re-signed him again. Poor route runner, poor speed, poor hands.

2006 stats: 14 catches for 164 yards and 0 TDs

The Offensive Line
    Backus is average to slightly above average but is also good for 1+ false start and 1+ holding penalty per game. Woody is fat, lazy and overrated. I actually really like Raiola, but he's a bit undersized at 6-1, 195, although the Lions played to his strengths this season (moving him around). DeMulling is garbage. Injuries decimated an already weak line this season. The young guys showed some promise, but this group is a top priority in the offseason.

Kalimba Edwards
    What does a 5 year, $20 million ($8 million guaranteed) contract buy you? Not much. He has good wheels for a DE and is about as strong as my grandma. He uses his speed to get around the corner, and then is pushed about 10 yards behind the QB and completely out of the play with the RT's pinky finger. He has 1 move - backwards.

2006 stats:
    37 tackles (25 solo, 12 assists) and 3 sacks

All linebackers not named Sims or Lenon
    This is a young, "athletic" (translation: weak, poor tackling and undersized) group. Losing Holmes to FA last season was a big loss both on and off the field. Lenon, who would be a backup on any other team, performed well when forced into the starting lineup. Lehman missed most of the season. Boss hasn't been the same since his knee surgeries. This team needs a MLB bad.

2006 stats:
    Lehman 5 tackles (4 solo, 1 assist), Bailey 67 tackles (51 solo, 16 assists) and 1 sack, Lewis 48 tackles (37 solo, 11 assists), Curry 18 tackles (14 solo, 4 assists)

The cornerbacks
    Bly is overrated. He's selfish, he gambles too much, he's a poor tackler, he gets beat deep, he give too big a cushion, he's ugly. Bryant can't stay healthy. Fletcher sucks. Smith contributes nothing, Wilson contributes little.
    2006 stats: 6 INTs as a unit combined

The safetiesKennedy is one dimensional. He can hit but he can't cover. Holt and McGraw aren't starters. Bullocks played well for a rookie.
    2006 stats: 5 INTs as a unit combined

Stay tuned for THE UGLY...

16. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Like, maybe drowning??? :eek:

As for the Lions, Millen must be kidnapped on draft day. I think Martinelli will be the new, great NFL coach. :party: