1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit @ NewJersey - 7:30PM Jan 31st, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Jan 25, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

Oh Well.

Getting to the point where you know the team has to lose eventually. They did tonight.

Time to start another run.

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sheed's last 2 games from 3-point land:

2 for 11
    1 for 11

total: 3 for 22 (13.6%)

what's disappointing about this loss is that we own them in the post, and if sheed changed those 11 3-point attempts to low post shots, we'd have won the game handily. new jersey blows - we were lazy and couldn't shoot for shiznit, yet were only down 2 with a couple minutes to go. delfino didn't play well and tayshaun stunk. chauncey and ben were the only ones played solid and with any desire to win the game.

but with that said, i think the pistons deserve to take a couple games off per month with the way they're winning, so this one can slide.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

C'Note said, "When Sheeds head is right in the game we are unstoppable".
    Nets were very hungry and brought everything. VC, Kidd and RJ is a very sound backcourt and swing. Maybe as offensively good as ours.
    But Kidds days of dancing in the ECFs is over.

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Exactly...this loss was avoidable.

Whooah...hold-on there! Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about firing Flip...but after watching a chimney's worth of bricks get chucked over the first 3 qtrs, why didn't he make any adjustments for the 4th?

IMO Flip has had to do very little to get this team to where it's at this season...last night was an opportunity for him to show his stuff...and he blew it. Again...this loss was avoidable.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

exactly. The Pistons will adjust.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Before anyone gets too down on Sheed, you gotta remember that he's not refusing to go into the post, these are the plays called for him by Billups/Flip.

I'll agree his shooting has been terrible and he's taking way too many 3s, but the lack of post work falls squarely on the shoulders of the guy who designs the offense and the feller running the point.

Sheed hasn't been a premier post player in almost 5 years. It's just not his game anymore. On the other hand, we have Ben Wallace who is ugly in the post, but probably could have fouled out Krstic with his explosiveness to the rim.

System needs tweaking. Only one loss. It was going to happen sooner or later. Remember, the greatest season record was 10 losses. We still have a shot at that. Not that I think it is important in the least.

A little curious to know why Lindsey and Dale are not getting run now that we are "officially" in the second half of the season. I can understand the Darko experiment coming to a wind down, and Arroyo's minutes getting shortened, but not because the starting 5 are being overplayed. It should be because time is being shared with the playoff pieces.

I'm also wondering when Tay is going to step up and be a factor...

Flip seems to rely very heavily on Billups, Rip and Sheed for a spark. I don't think through 43 games that he has found a spark on the bench. A "Microwave" so to speak. And I think we have at least one or two.

7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

just a question of time- CB took over the last games and won them on his own. With ALL of the Pistons struggling, we are LA- like.
    I start getting angry about Tayshawn. Inconsistent as hell, average defense, not making his shots. I thought he'd improve but after 4 years at college and 3 in this league it seems he has hit the roof.
    I hope he'll prove me wrong

8. roscoe36

Here is a nice little nugget from "Woody" during last night's Game Chat.

9. roscoe36

NBATV Video Highlights from the game

**LINK**

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just realized that the Pistons got beat in all 4 quarters yesterday. When was the last time that happened?

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It does seem that with the multi-volume offensive playbook famed in song and story to work through they might have tried something other than CB and 'Sheed playing a two man game outside the three point circle.

But, as all have said, it's only one game and by golly they are still 37 & 6. It does make tonight a test of character and will though, and I think they've got that in spades.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

we needed to lose that game. the last 3 games we snuck by even though the pistons didn't play to their level. this loss should get them back on track. they pound there opponents after a loss.

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, your comments are right on. We need to tweek what we are doing a little bit. Ben and Sheed could have fouled out kristic. And Sheed should not be used exclusively outside. When we are not hitting, this team has other ways to win. I have been noticing that teams are starting to get into our sets and even laying on the three. Nothing we can't correct.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On league pass, I got the NJ telecast. When they were talking to Vince Carter before the game, he mentioned that part of their strategy was to get the Pistons in foul trouble. And it worked.

I think that is a strategy that the Pistons should use way more often. Especially against guys like Shaq. Make sure that you initiate some contact and let the refs make those 50/50 calls against a dominant player. Have a guy like Evans (b/c it doesn't matter if he fouls out) drive at him over and over.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TaShawn, I brought that up last night on the DetNews forum. So far it has not happen anytime this season. (regular or preseason.) You would have thought that with the 37 point loss to the Mavs we would have got outscored in every qtr, but the Pistons actually won the second qtr of that game. In last night's 7 point loss, the Pistons lost each qtr by 3 points or less.

If 3 of Sheed's 10 missed threes had hit, this may have been a 2 point victory for our boys. Or if he had just taken half of those shots from the inside and scored 4 hoops, we'd be going for number lucky #13 tonight, and could have possibly stretched this streak out to 24 games until we ran into the Cavs on a back to back at the end of this month.