1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons biggest chokers of all time??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by adpreston1988, Jun 1, 2007.

1. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

Only 5 teams have been to 5 straight Conference Finals

1980's Celtics
    1980's Lakers
    1980's-90's Pistons
    1980's-90's Bulls
    current Pistons

The current Pistons are the only team to not have won at least 2 NBA Championships in this time and to only be in the NBA Finals a mere 2 times. If the Pistons lose to the Cavs and don't get their 2nd championship can we put them down as the biggest chokers in playoff history?

2005 - blew game 5 to robert horry, which would've sealed back to back championships (I still hate SA and Horry to this day)

2006 - hats off to the Miami Heat
    2007 - pathetic playing against the Cavs, but I will give my hat off to LeBron in game 5

I really think the Pistons should have won in 2004, 2005, and possibly 2007. Instead we're looking at just 1 championship and possibly the end of a dynasty. The ship looks to be sailing on this team and if they lose this series I expect a MAJOR shakeup by Joe Dumars (beginning w/ Saunders gone)

2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

clearly the Malone/Stockton Jazz or the Webber led Sacramento Queens.

3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

C'mon man, we just saw Dallas go out in the first round.

4. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

but they didn't make 5 straight conference finals and have only 1 ring to show for it!!

5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

2 straight NBA finals with nothing after a billion straight playoff years is better?

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is still a chance bro. I mean there is still a game 6 to play and hopefully 7. It ain't over until Aretha Franklin sings on Monday and we have seen this scenario before.

The Cavs can either come out Saturday over confident and fall into our hands or come out and take care of business. Lets be optimistic here and hope for the former. :pray: No need to offer a eulogy until it's time.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'll second this opinion. As our good buddy Sergei Fedorov used to say - "it's not over until it's over".

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Was sirgay's Middle name Yogi?

10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Losing to the Cavs is not the end of the world. It is a clear indication that the window of opportunity with this core is all but shut. Plenty of stuff a Pistons can be proud of over the last few years. Like most everyone I angry and disappointed, but we have had a good team in the big picture. They missed golden opportunities to go down as a great team.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We are not choking. We are getting beat. The team has been run too long without key additions. We can't get to the hoop to exploit the new rules. We don't have the quickness and youth any more on our side.

We won that game many times with big time shots but it just didn't happen.

We don't play smart for an elite squad--like the foul on Varejao the worst shooter on their team. We don't have any flow into our offense. our coach seems to be in the average range.

But this team is incredibly tough. They are older though.

12. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

How many of you going to watch game 6 tomorrow with a beverage in hand? How about some tranquilizers? I think I am going out to pickup some brewskis to numb the pain just in case, or if it turns out the other way, to propose a toast.

:beer:

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like a guy with a modular battle plan! :)

14. vincy4fish98

Thanks Roscoe. I figure if I am going to be drinking at home, it might as well be for something, no matter how it turns out. I am still with our boys until the bitter end or until the Cavs can prove they are the better team tomorrow.

15. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My take:

The Pistons have been losing playoff games the past two years because they are missing their only Hall of Fame person - LARRY BROWN!!!!

You may hate him, but he's the only one of the current team who will ever make the HOF.

We're never going to play at a high enough level under Flip to make it through the play-offs. He gives the team no intensity. Larry did that.

We have no HOF players so we've got to play at a very high level. Flip ain't that guy, Larry was.

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

When you beat a team 3 of 4 times during the season, win your division, win your conference, have the #1 seed AND home court advantage....

YOU ARE CHOKING.

17. max

max All-Star

Its been a choke just like last year. But its not one of the biggest of all-time. Thats when you don't even make it out of the 1st round.

All these games have been so close that I don't know if you can say its over. Its not over until its over. And I would like to see Lebran have a game like that in an elimination game before I crown his ass.

18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I hope its not Stroh's. LOL

:hoops:

19. vincy4fish98

Good one Buddha! I don't go for Stroh's but if the Pistons don't play up to what they are capable of they are going to go the way of Stroh's brewery-extinct and demolished. [​IMG]

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Sheed's shot in that game 1 or 2, Billips shot and free throws last game were pure clutch. We had that game won so many times as we made great plays.

Not having an offense that has a flow, not playing smart for an elite team , a coach with an average range of adjustments--there are many things to be critical about the Pistons. But these are not choking.

What about the two Le Bron drives that led to free throws late. At least one was a no call that gave them 2 points. The Sheed no call when he was fouled by Varejo. The rules do not favor the Pistons.

With a quick penetrating back up guard, I doubt we have big trouble with the Cavs. Or, with a tough perimeter defender. Or, with a young big with some defensive range and hops. (Maxiel is not quite ready). Management has let this team battle for too long without help.

What is sad, if we go out now, it may be a year late even if Dumars acts aggressively this summer. Our key guys are getting old by NBA standards.