Detroit Pistons Feed Fans With Free Chili

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 2, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons Feed Fans With Free Chili

Auburn Hills, MI - At 8:00 a.m. Friday morning word went up on Pistons.com. At 8:15 a.m. Flip Saunders announced it on the Jamie and Brady Show on WDFN AM 1130. At 5:30 p.m., Cheli's Chili in downtown Detroit was filled to its capacity.

So, what was all the excitement about? It may have been the free chili that Cheli's was giving away, but most likely, it was the fact that fans had the chance to get a Pistons player to serve it to them!

[floatr]http://www.pistonsforum.com/images/picdump/chili_100206.jpg[/floatr]On Friday afternoon from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM players from the Detroit Pistons including Piston Head Coach Flip Saunders and his coaching staff, as well Hooper, Automotion, Palace Patrol, and staff from the Palace Sports & Entertainment front office served free bowls of chili for carloads of fans.

“This is so exciting!!!” said Nicole Johnson from Flint. “I can’t believe Tayshaun is serving free chili! I just want to stand up and hug him!”

Rock Financial, Michigan’s largest mortgage company and the presenting sponsor of the Detroit Pistons, sponsored the event, donating chopped onions and sour cream for each bowl.

David Hall of Rock Financial was also on hand getting people pumped to get "In the Zone" for the 2006-07 regular season, which starts November 1 when the Pistons host the Milwaukee Bucks. Hall was handing out playing cards, Piston and Rock Financial car decals, and free one-way tickets for the upcoming preseason games that kick off Oct 10th against the Miami Heat in Puerto Rico.

The afternoon was full of excitement. Pistons flagship station WDFN 1130 AM The Fan’s Stoney and Wojo kicked off the event, broadcasting live from the Cheli's Chili parking lot. Meanwhile, Hooper and Automotion visited the anxiously lined up fans giving away free Pistons items and snapping photos. Fans who weren’t getting their free chili inside the restaurant waited to get a glimpse of would be Eastern Conference Champions getting in the zone.

Some players – like Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and Ronald Murray – wore aprons and chef hats making sure fans got all the free chili the Pistons could serve. Others – like Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton and Jason Maxiell – bussed tables and chatted with diners. Others – like Head Coach Flip Saunders, Assistant Coach Terry Porter, and PS&E President Tom Wilson – also served chili while introducing themselves to fans.

Fans who hadn’t gotten the chance at the free chili weren’t disappointed as all of the players and coaches stopped by the bunch to sign autographs and shake hands.

“Sheeeeeed!!!!” the eager crowd roared as the 6-11 big man made his way over to say hello.

After 2,000 bowls of free chili were served, boxes of giveaway items were passed out, and hundreds of autographs were signed, everyone left smiling. The Pistons were In The Zone and the 2006-07 season was underway.

For more information about Rock Financial, please visit Rock Financial - Michigan's Mortgage Experts. To purchase tickets for the upcoming season, please contact The Palace at (248) 377-0100 or visit NBA.com.

Fictitious and strictly for entertainment purposes. No escapegoats were harmed in the making of this post.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There was "no free chili" when Ben was a Piston.
  3. roscoe36

To give you an idea how warped I am,

I was looking at the PF fantasy hockey draft thread. Then I thought about whether or not Red Wing Brett Lebda got drafted. Then I seemed to recall that Matthieu Schneider slipped down the draft a bit. Then I wondered about Schneider's age, and of course, this made me think of the oldest active Wing, Chris Chelios. Then I remembered he owns two restaurants called Cheli's Chili.

And of course the Pistons gave away free gas last season. So without a doubt, they would be giving away free chili this year. :)

I need to get back to work... :sssh:
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Now THAT'S an exception I would support for the "no free chili" rule!

By the way, roscoe, maybe your wiki entry for "escape goat" can include a hat tip to Tracy McGrady for inadvertently inventing it.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ya mean nobody in the Pistons org knows what "free chili" means?
    might as well give away donuts too (hole in the middle)...
    PR blunder fosho
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

"...fans at the event were also surprised to spot many of the remaining 29 NBA teams also taking their places in line to receive their healthy helping of free chili as well."

I swear this team is waging a personal campaign against me.:gaah:
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OH MY GOD! :jaw::gaah: :yield: :pound: :rofl: Roscoe Roscoe :stirthepot:
  8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Lebda did not get drafted, and actually played 46 games for the Wings last season, and is slated to be a member of the top six defensemen this season.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe they're just trying to get it out of their system before the season starts.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Coincidence?:stirthepot:
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Brilliant. Post of the year!
    :pound:
  12. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

I laughed, I cried, then I cried again at the appropriateness of the metaphor. :pound::kleenex::kleenex:

At points I even wanted it to be true - - so's they can get it out of their system. :yukpuke:

Someone else besides me has been procrastinatin' today!
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Absolutely.:nod: No question about it. It's even more brilliant with repeated readings. "The Pistons were In the Zone and..." :laugh:
  14. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Ok so who made the chilli and how come knowbody asked me for cooking tips.... LOL :ninja:
  15. roscoe36

Happy y'all enjoyed it. :thumb:
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow you can tell i haven't visited the forum in several weeks because i totally believed this LOL