Detroit Pistons promised $11 million to Ben Gordon

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jun 17, 2009.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

And it's not like he even shot that well in the Finals. Frankly, the better Rip Hamilton's shooting has got over time, the ball movement regressed, and it kept regressing to the point where we are now...

When Jon Barry can accurately predicted the plays out of timeouts in crucial 4th quarter situations (as well as JVG), its time to change something.

I don't think the defense would be that bad if we just kept BG guarding the opposing ones.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Sometimes the indirect route is the quickest in results: think time, age, and potential growth.

You might need time sharing for the 5 position: you can't piecemeal overpriced big men that can not adapt to the current flow of the game.

The future stars will not be directly out of HS. Just the opposite and then some. You have to be solid at any position that involves three quality players..the rest will follow.

The 1, 3 and 4 positions are your transitional keys.

The 3 and 4 should have enough opposites to make match-ups a nightmare.

The 1 position should be astute enough to know this:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.​

But I have promises to keep, ​

And miles to go before I sleep."​

Robert Frost ​
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Gordon move--if it happens is not about shooting guard versus big. It is about a complete makeover of the team with the first major piece. What is a major piece? A player who can do something others can't. Ben Wallace was a major piece but oh how many limitations. Gordon can score against the best defenses in the playoffs with or without the ball. How many players in the NBA can do that? No one on the current Pistons--that is for sure. Not many non-super stars can score no matter what. Gordon is no superstar but he has that quality. And he is young. Yes, Gordon has limitations. But Gordon is just one piece in the mix. It is the mix that will be the key.

Rip has very few peak years left. He has already slowed down some.

I watched Joe Johnson in the playoffs and he was shut down for the most part unlike Gordon.
  4. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Smokin' hot post lapiston. Smokin'.

I've been one of the few (the only until now?) ones around here advocating the acquisition of Ben Gordon for several weeks now, but could never articulate things nearly as good as you have just done so in that one post. Props.
  5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Yes, Yes, and Yes!
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I wonder what the bad boys would have looked like if Jack were so concerned about how tall his three guards were rather than how well they could play the game.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've been taking the Gordon idea in and looking at it from various angles.
    Good point. Roscoe's alter moniker may have never existed.

Just curious. What was Rip's SP justified salary?

I'm still scratching my head a little about that $11.3M extension just before CB got traded.

The percentage bounce is radically weird. You could blame it on coaching philosophy/offensive sets except for the 06-07 season.

Front court definitely needs help, but swapping Rip for Gordon for equivalent salary might not be a bad idea, especially considering age differential. Shooting percentage, and other stats? Let's look at the past season:

______Rip__Gordon
    FG%: .447 .455
    FT%: .848 .864
    3PT: 70 173
    PTS: 1225 1699
    REB: 207 283
    AST: 297 279
    STL: 40 71
    BLK: 4 22
    TO: 133 200

I didn't bother crunching numbers for 40 minute stats to compensate for Gordon playing 82 games to Rip's 67 and Gordon averaging 36:36 minutes to Rip's 34:00 because it didn't seem worth it.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actual: $10.8mm
    Sprocket Points Justified (actual season): $6.5mm
    Sprocket Points Justified (as if he played 82 games): $7.9mm

Underperformed partly because of his play (10.8 -> 7.9) and partly because of being injured (7.9 -> 6.5)

Pretty bad when Rip can't outrebound and outblock Gordan. But then the Pistons guards haven't rebounded since Brown left.
  9. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

:thumb:

I agree. I think so many things we read on these sites this time of year are just misdirection by executives or agents, or the reporters severely reaching for things to write about.

My thing with signing Ben Gordon now is that we basically recreate some of the problems that we had last season. We bring in another small guard who will demand minutes and we will be heavy at the 2 guard position. Signing him basically means that Joe has to move a guard via trade, which would most likely end up being Rip. This puts Joe in a weak negotiating position with other GM's, so he might not get the best deal.

I like Gordon, but I'm not sure it's going to be the best signing (especially for that type of money).
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but if Sprocket Points took defense into account, he'd be worth more like $8.0mm.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love Robert Frost.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not much for poetry although I had to read quite a bit in college back in the Stone Age. I just never "got it". My mind is too literal. However, I do remember liking Robert Browning's stuff.
  13. dba

Poetry has changed quite a bit from..

Ugh break rock

Ugh make axe

Ugh cool

You might want to try again.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point, however if you're putting Ben Gordon in the VJ role he is way overpaid. I don't see the Pistons paying that kind of money for a role player.

If you are putting him in the Joe D role he is not in the same league defensively.

And BG's listed height of 6'3 is probably generous. It's more like 6'1 if you believe the folks at blogabull.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

During the Bad Boys era Vinnie averaged around 25 mpg. Over the last 3 years Gordon has averaged 33-34 mpg with stats well above The Microwave. Though he was coming off the bench until this past season, I don't think it fair to say he's a role player.

Agreed...he's no Joe D defensively. But this ain't the old NBA either.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with those who say his agent is using the media.
  17. Darth Tater

Et tu, dba? :skull::smash:
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons did sign Gordon then what does that say about Rodney Stuckey?

It was reported that Gordon's deal would average 11 million and would start at 9.5. Rip's deal starts this year (?) and would expire or be a salary dump type contract deal when Gordon's starts really ramping up. They have Stuckey for 2 more years on his rookie deal, I think though I'm not exactly sure how it works if the extend him early after next year.

I don't think it is inconceivable to pay all 3 of these guys. Having Gordon on the strong side of the floor may allow the screening for Rip to take place on the weak side. Gordon can also play Rip’s role if he is out there with Stuckey.

On top of all that there sure seems to be an affinity for guards and 3 guard line-ups from this administration.
  19. dba

Excellent. You leapfrogged the iron and bronze ages, flew past the Greeks, and landed smack in Imperial Rome. Great progress!
  20. Darth Tater

:) I know Roscoe somehow put you up to this. His mission in life is to turn EVERYONE on the forum against me. Usually he gets dummies :nerd2: like Jammer and detteam to help him. However, I see I now have my hands full.

Bring it on, sprocket breath. Bring it on. :gun1: