Detroit Pistons sign Chris Wilcox

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Menace, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

So, Wilcox>>>>Gooden? Or it's a wash? Gooden does have a nice 15-footer. I remember him killing us with it.
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Depends on what the other GMs in the NBA had to offer for Rip and Tay.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What did they offer? What did Joe turn down?
  4. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

Yeah it only took him what . . . 10-15sec of annoying un-needed post up moves to create those shots. You think Stuckey/Gordon has the patience for that!
  5. Latinoking90

I know what you're trying to get at, but I can't make any fair assessments since I am not the GM. True, it might not all be done. But it seems we also shouldn't be simply be expecting a trade.

I simply said our next starting center? I didn't bash Joe for it.
  6. roscoe36

Wilcox by all accounts has a low motor and perhaps some health issues. Gooden has a low bball IQ.

I think Joe must see some upside in Wilcox to choose him over someone else. Maybe Wilcox's willing to work for it. He'll be movable in year 2 (expiring) if he doesn't want to make it.
  7. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Every time that I saw Wilcox play vs. the Pistons he was really active and usually outworked our bigs out there. We'll see if he still has it. This is a decent signing to fill out our bench.
  8. G-man

G-man Starter

Good question, I note none of the Amir-lovers ever mention his penchant for fouling. The guy would foul while checking in at the table. He'd foul heading out onto the hardwoods, he'd foul heading into a huddle (I'm pretty sure he heard whistles in his sleep).

In a Pistons uniform, he was a foul magnet. He either lacked disciplined or had a foul bounty placed on him by the NBA. Like it or not, it's the truth. But it's one never noted by those that only give witness to potential not performance.

Simple rule is if you can't stay on the floor, you can't play on the floor.
  9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Wilcox in a nutshell:

Decent athlete
    Mentally inconsistent
    Average man/post defender
    Poor weakside defender
    Mediocre hands
    Good rebounder
  10. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

lol.... the plays I'm referring to were more like pick and pop plays from the side... similar to what Dyess and whichever guard used run, before he started taking his high-elbow/20 footers. I'm going to miss Dyess... I'll be pulling for the Spurs this season.
  11. roscoe36

I dunno, all your posts lately are the same. Nothing is good.

My point is, what would you have done different?

Who did Joe pass up out there? Was there a better FA than Wilcox for the price? Criticism is good. But give us a reason for the criticism. If you're unhappy that Joe didn't get Bosh and Shaq and Wade, well so am I.

But none of that is possible. We're rebuilding. This is what rebuilding teams look like. This is not too different from what we looked like in 2002, except we have a lot more rookie talent now.

I dunno. It's like resenting a donkey for not being a Clydesdale. This is who we are. We're going to struggle to win games. We might not make the playoffs. 1/2 of this roster will probably turn over in 2 years again.
  12. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Here is some highlight reels of our newest piston. Granted many of these were from his earlier days at Maryland and the sonics. I especially like what he did on Garnett in one of the clips. :)

Enjoy

YouTube - Chris Wilcox - Pure Athlete
  13. roscoe36

14. Latinoking90

I become spoiled Piston fan. Plain and simple. Always expecting ECF apperance as of late. True, at times I feel I'm not giving the current squad a chance, but nothing that Joe has done has surprised me. It's reflecting in my posts. I'm aware. :\

Try harder to get something for Rip and Tay. I know both are still good, but they are a best assets for a trade.

Can't say. I don't work with Joe Dumars or am Joe Dumars. But I guess as fan, we can speculate and say stuff such as Tyson Chandler, Amar'e, Bosh in hopes they become true.

If there's truly any substance to those rumors of Bosh and Shaq and wade, then yes I should be unhappy. As a GM, he should pursue players who would truly make an impact to this team. I might smack my self in the head later on the season (if BG and CV and now Wilcox become hot), but as a of now, I simply feel "meh" about this off season. It could be worse. I know that Joe is dealing with the hands he has, but he hasn't done anything that makes me want to pat him in the back.

I'm aware of how rebuilding looks like in sports, but I never really experienced it fully in the NBA. I get to now however.

True, I might have a teal Grant Hill jersey from youth, but I never saw those games. I say this is different than 2002. I'm not so sure, Joe Dumars can get another underpaid Ben Wallace this time around.

And I will still stand behind the team. A team can't be successful all the time. But after this next season, I will be able to stomach it better. :)
  15. roscoe36

But that's why we watch. Because it's not magical when we see it coming.

You got a lot of front runners you like. Yankee, Pats.

This is gunna be ugly. You gotta get some dog in your fan game. Learn to love the ugly. WOOF WOOF!
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Roscoe has been the voice of reason as of late trying to tame the expectations and raise hope of the disappointed. A true leader.
  17. Latinoking90

Indeed. We get to say stuff as, remember when this team last made the playoffs? Long time ago. Wow, this is awesome that their back in. Go Pistons.

Yankees got my hopes up with their signings, but I'm not blind. The Red Sox are still the better team. Their current pitching won't get them to the World Series. :(

Patriots on the other hand, are still going to dominate for now..... For how long, depends on Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. But I guess at least in 5 years (or when Brady gets old). But at least football teams are always competitive and rebuilt quicker than NBA teams. It's good to have a very nice, savvy, MBA education owner in Robert Kraft though.

You left out Michigan football though. It's been hella ugly. Fire Rich Rod. His spread offense is useless. :)

Woof! :)
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

While i thank Joe for proving my point, i really wish i felt like he had some sort of direction or "grand plan" instead of "i like you, i sign you" or a fixation on aquiring as many SG's as possible.

From the get go we signed BG. People criticized the move. People responded to that criticism w/ "hello, don't you know Rip is getting traded? and that's how wwe'll get out big. Joe knows what he's doing"

Time passes it becomes obvious we are not trading Rip, and then we give AA to DEN. Another stupid move justified by Joe working on some super secret trade for a franchise or close caliber big.

Now we signed Chris Wilcox and it's a "good move". This off-season IMO started on a bad note and now we aren't that much better just different; same problems at PG,SF, and C.

Barring any other moves we are mediocre; not good (or bad) enough to secure a high pick and not good enough to win it all.

edited to add;

And before i get jumped on for not being a "true fan", when IMO my team has gone retarded, i'm entitled to voice that opinion. I'm not in the mood to be a cheerleader when i'm dissappointed with the direction or lack there of.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, as a fan you can be disappointed if GM's vision is different from yours. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, and that's why we are all here to express our viewpoints.

Now, at the same time, if you don't see the direction it doesn't mean that there isn't one. The team now has several young players with potential and Joe is not finished yet. Not finished doesn't mean that there will be anything of significance happening this year. This is a long term plan and not overnight rebuilding job. Just have patience. Unfortunately, nobody can stay on top forever, especially in the salary cap era.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Good point.

But looking at the future available or semi avaliable bigs, things look shaky. The only options seem to be Amare, Chandler or draft. I've pretty much xed out Bosh/Boozer at this point.

Unless CV improves tremendously, we are still going to have major problems with our FL.

And i'm worried that BG/Rip might be another combination that's going to explode. Although, they are apparently bonding already so who knows.