Detroit Pistons sign Chris Wilcox

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Menace, Jul 18, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

@TPA

I don't think Joe's done. Wouldn't surprise me if Rip and/or Tay are traded before camp...or 2 games into the season ;)
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We now have young scorers at every position (assuming Wilcox plays some at the 5)... when opponents can't slack on any one player it opens the floor for all five.
    The pick and roll possibilities are exciting.

Defense on the other hand....... Now we need a bohemoth shotblocker... don't matter if he can't score.

At 3M it's good value.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

On defense we are the Indiana Pacers right now. And we're a Don Nelson away from being the Warriors.

Gordon will have a couple games where he approaches 50, and we're gonna have a couple games where an opposing guard hangs about 50 on us.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm not looking for us to aquire top-tier talent. I don't consider Chandler, Boozer, Amare, etc to be. What i would like is a center who is ok to very good. Hell, Darko would be a better option than almost all the players we have.

There's was another line posted at the end of the CW article on MLIVE that stated Ben Wallace was likely coming back. It scares me that i think Ben Wallace at 74 an beat can win a ST over almost every big we have.

I agree that this is not a top destination, but that's why you do it through trades if nothing else.

Because you expect better and refuse to let anyone make you think otherwise. :)

IMO, SG's a dime a dozen. And i'm not looking for us to get BB or JP esque players, i would like if we could aquire offense players that can at least play defense or do a god imitation. We keep signing only offense players.

Too late.

In puzzles you don't get two pieces that fit in the exact same place, or a lack of pieces that leave a big hole in the midddle LOL
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would mostly agree with this. Although, I would say good hands, excellent athlete, and poor, man/post defender. I think he has all the tools to be a good man/post defender, but just doesn't seem to get it. At least, not yet.

I like this signing quite a bit. Wilcox is a great athlete who can run, catch, dunk, and play way above the rim. He also grabs a lot of boards.

I think the scoring droughts are a thing of the past, so if you lost your mind when the Pistons went 8 minutes without a bucket, rejoice, happy days are here.

Gone too are the days of holding opponents below 70 points. As this team stands right now, they may be one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. At least on paper.

If coach Q can come up with a TEAM defensive strategy that masks some of their weaknesses, this should be an exciting team to watch.

I'm on the bandwagon Go Pistons!
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

From what I have seen of Wilcox, he struggles at the 5. Maybe he can pick up bench type minutes at that position. I think he may thrive here in a Corliss type role. Scoring off the bench and posing nighmares for bench playing 4s.

I agree about the shotblocker. Although his contract is $$, Chandler may fit that role.
  7. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

Ok,yes Wilcox isn't a great player,but we got him for only 3ml.We are talking about a guy who can get regular double doubles and play some descent defense for only 3mln.It's a great pick for only 3mln.Yes,if we trade RIP Prince is the only player who can play some real D and that is bad news for us.For now I don't see us playing in the finals with curent rosters,but in the future we will see who has to go and who has to come.Yes someone will say look at the Lakers they gave 100+ points a game and still won the NBA,but they had Kobe,Ariza,Odom who could defend very well and stop opposing teams lead scorers.And Bynum with Gasol aren't bad defenders either.I can see our Pistons in the final,if our player will show that they can defend if needed.
  8. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

remember when the sonics had like 3 guys with braids and pigtails? who the heck was that one guy that really, really looked like an WNBA player?

edit: wait, maybe it was the T'wolves... hmm..

edit2: was troy hudson the girliest one? it wasnt latrell, although his was bad too..

edit3: ok, danny fortson was the sonic i was thinking of... strangely, there are not many of these pigtail pics to be found on google. i guess troy hudson was the cutest one.
  9. Hueyfreeman

Hueyfreeman Second Round Draft Pick

I have to agree he certainly has stockpiled players @ both there respective positions to point of drafting a younger better Tayshaun ,I think he was just putting his team in the best position to move those players and then will act rather now or @ a later date thier days as pistons are numbered. :stirthepot:
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Wilcox and Brown together give to you every night 15&15

For 7 mil it is is damn fine production. There are many 7/7 guys ( read: 7 mil for 7 footer) to whom 7&7 is their average.

Amir is 7&7 type player: 7 fouls in 7 minutes.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Cheer up Pistons fans all is good.

Chris Wilcox will soon make a lot of you forget about the anti-Wilcox/Villi/BG posts.

I plan on heading out to Columbia, MD today to the world's great indoor flea market and is also where Wilcox attends his Sunday morning workout routine at the Columbia Health Club. My brother also works there as a personal trainer part-time.

We just finished talking about Wilcox, needless to say my brother is ecstatic about the signing and can't wait to talk with him about Chris's take on coming to the D.

I am soooooooooooooo looking forward to seeing Wilcox, Max and Deron W put on a dunking display this season.

Unlike a lot of you, I think the Pistons will do very well this season. Wilcox will come in with a chip on his shoulder, the guy can produce big numbers when given a chance. I think he has a Ben Wallace type of chip on his shoulder and this will be his year to doubt the doubters.

I am soooooo geeked up for this season I have a difficult time containing myself. The young, athletic big men along with BG and Stuckey, wow I am salivating like all of Pavlov's dogs here.

DEEEETTTTRRRROOOOITTTTT BASKET-----BALL.
  12. Matthew

Matthew Second Round Draft Pick

Wilcox

I like the signing. A young athletic big but my question is. Does he line up at forward or center? I guess it all depends on matchup.

Also, do you guys think it's possible we still make a trade for a true center? Do we have any cap left?
  13. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Re: Wilcox

If we keep Rip and BenGo is off the bench, then I think Chris Wilcox can work since most of the offense will come from Ben. I'm just worried about BenGo and Bynum on the floor together.
  14. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great...soup for you!
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

like the signing. Only problem is that this probably means that there will be no trade of RIP which I really disgust. But Wilcox could become a very decent C for us, especially if his knees are kept in good shape with frozen bananas. He's already had some issues with them.
    But I really don't understand, no even less, why JoeD sent away AJ and AA for nothing in return?
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Precisely. Joe has said many times, he has to stockpile pieces to trade. And obviously, that means building up depth at positions of strength.
  17. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I like you. You're a "the glass is half full" kind of guy.
  18. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I've seen Wilcox play a lot, and I would say he is most definitely a 4. I know we have CV, but I'd be surprised if we run Wilcox at center. Perhaps I should say his game is more of a 4, then a 5. We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up Big Ben for depth at center behind Kwame.

Besides, with all these young guys, we need to be able to get them minutes.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When you are thirsty, there is no satisfaction in seeing the glass half empty.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In today's league, there are no real 5's out there. The distinction between 4 and 5 has diminished alot since the Robinson/Olajuwon/O'Neal/Mourning/Ewing days. You see many teams out there that play without a real 5 (just as the Pistons did with Sheed and Ben) with no problem.