1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons: the 2012-13 season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 20, 2012.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

As I see it we have the Bosh-role solved in a big three with Monroe. To become a powerhouse we need to fill the Wade and James roles with two STUDS. Knight have potential but I don't see him becoming one of those STUDS.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Knight can and will make an All-Star team or 2. I don't see the OKC or Miami model as our blueprint. Look at Indy and Philly, 8-9 real good players with 2-3 who are a little better than the rest.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, Kgreg. You have elevated Knight from the mediocre, not-so-impressive, tweener role player to All-Star? You have come along way in one season, my friend.

pass99 and coynejeremy like this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When I watch him play, I'm not impressed, I just don't like his style or mechanics, but he produced, he works hard and he delivered via results. I don't see him as a top PG or perennial all-star, but I think he'll have a special season or 2 that will earn him a trip or 2.

pass99 likes this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That sounds more like the KGREG we have come to know and love. :lol:

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I sometimes think KGREG would have wanted us to trade MJ after his first 3-4 seasons :P

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Prediction:
    BK will either be the 2nd or 3rd best PG in franchise history.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would guess that the Vegas odds would be worse than 50/50 of BK ever making an all-star team. It would either take him becoming superb, or it would take him becoming very good + the team becoming superb.

Keep in mind that Rondo (the best player on a team that is 1 game from the Finals) was not selected this season. He was a replacement for an injured Joe Johnson.

So, the caliber of point guards that we're talking about here are as follows: Rose, Deron Williams, Rondo, CP3, Nash, Parker, Westbrook

That's pretty good company for BK to ever live up to.

9. max

max All-Star

Prediction:

BK will do fast food commercials and have a sandwhich named after him.

pass99 likes this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

When you compare the rookie numbers of the guys that you mention, BK stacks up to be somewhere in the middle. His numbers were better than Nash, Parker, Williams and Rondo but not as good as CP3, Westbrook and D-Rose.

As far as BK making the all-star team in the East, he'll be competing with Williams, Rose, Irving and Rondo for the next 5-6 years assuming that they all stay in the EC. Their are a lot of solid PGs in the NBA right now. In any given year, there are going to be PGs that should be all-stars but don't make the team.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right, and probably less than 25% of rookie PG's with numbers in that range ever make an all-star team (I'm just guessing). It's just that when you take those that have succeeded, it is tough to extrapolate backwards to find comparisons.

For instance, if we would have drafted Knight in 2006, his rookie numbers would have looked terrible and he would still have the same potential that he does now. Many bad teams give their rookies tons of PT and they put up decent numbers.

Knight's efficiency was really quite bad, he just got a lot of minutes. 32 mpg with only 42% shooting and a poor ast/tov ratio. Take those minutes down to 15 a game and he looks like a chump.

In terms of efficiency, Knight was ranked 61st in the NBA among PGs.
    Points per minute- 33rd
    Assists per minute- 79th
    Shooting percentage- 44th

In Nash's rookie year, he averaged 10.5 mpg.
    Rondo- 23.5

Knight got more minutes per game this year than any of those others in their rookie years.

pass99 and roscoe36 like this.
  12. round

I am going to drink the kool-Aid for Knight for atleast another year. His number did improve over the course of the year, pretty sure his ast/tov ratio was 1/1 at one point this season?... no long training camp, no summer league, limited practice time, given the keys to the team... I saw enough to see some serious promise.

13. BallDon'tLie

I'm sipping the BK Kool-Aid but not fully drinking it yet.
    I think the most important factor regarding his potential for success doesn't even show up in any stats. He's "Ivy League smart" and driven to succeed. I don't see Brandon Knight as the kind of guy who will settle for getting anything less than 100% out of his NBA career. He seems like the type of guy that is destined to be a leader. None of his potential will go unused.

del and round like this.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I've said it before, but the best summation of Knight's rookie year was that he played major minutes and did not kill the Pistons(Maybe there was nothing to kill?).

I thought me made Stuckey better(Maybe a lot of PG's would have done the same thing?).

He showed at the very end of the year an ability to break down defenses off the dribble which is extremely valuable nowadays.

KGREG does have a point though about his style and mechanics. He can shoot but I never feel like I am watching a great shooter. He is quick but I never feel like he is the quickest guy on the court. He is just kind of there.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

1. Who knows where Williams will be next season.
    2. There will be a window in time where the PG elites will be on the decline just as BK begins to approach his summit, remember that he's about 6 years younger than the elites and it's in that window that BK can possibly earn a trip or 2 to the All Star game.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One great way to determine whether or not a player killed his team is to look at +/- stats.

Knight was dead last on the Pistons at -260 points for the season. Stuckey was only -33 and they had a huge correlation in minutes and overlap in court time. That must mean that when Stuckey was on the floor without Knight, he was in the positive.

It is quite possible that the Pistons had a worse season than they otherwise would have because they have a rookie PG running the show. If that is the case, then I'm glad it happened, b/c we get a better draft pick and we just gave BK a ton of development (which as Chauncey proved can take years before it pays off at this position).

Knight was 12th on the team in simple rating. 10th in production and net production.

8th in win shares and 10th in win shares per minute.

Tied in 8th for PER with Jason Maxiell.

There were 23 games where he was held to single digit scoring. 2 games with over 24 minutes where he had 0 points. 28 points was his season high, despite being a score first guard who led the team in minutes.

42 games where he had 3 rebounds or less. 6 games out of 66 with more than 1 offensive rebound.

33 games with 3 assists or less. 31 out of 66 games where his assists did not exceed his turnovers. Only 2 double digit assist games.

56 games with 1 steal or less. High of 3 for the season.

46 games with less than 50% shooting.

1 game with more than 5 FT makes??? This even considers all of the intentional fouling, etc. 53 out of 66 games with 2 FT makes or less.

IMO, he killed us. But I'm OK with that.

17. BallDon'tLie

You forgot to add "66 games where he was the most promising PG on the team."
    ...dude's a rookie, he has a long way to go, he might get there.

18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this assessment. I wasn't too impressed of his development during this season but from what I've seen and read I'm very impressed by his intanglibles. He's very young and he was thrown straight into the fire without any real preseason and a condensed schedule without the possibility of alot of practice so I'll save my judgement until next season. From what I've seen so far, he's pretty far from all-star potential but he's shown he's a player who's NBA material. I'm very keen to see how he's going to respond next season and I hope he's going to show signs of all-star potential.

pass99 likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I enjoy watching him play and think that he fits in with the team.

If you had to pick either Knight, Stuckey, or our unknown 2012 first draft pick to become an all-star first, who would you bet on?

20. round

pick 1-4 I'd say lottery, 5-8 flop a coin between Knight and lottery, 9+ going with Knight.... Stuckey I just don't see ever being an all-star.