Detroit @ Sacramento... November 8th

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i heard that too, thats just awful. why would you do that?

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great game if you could only see the boxscore it showed almost everything except for rasheeds play he was huge in that first half he was a big prescence in the paint on both sides of the floor especially in the first half.

3. G-man

G-man Starter

Swiss cheese interior D

You have to concerned over the declining interior D. Last night in Sac-town the Interior D of Detroit looked like vaporizing blue smoke. There's nothing worse than watching Bonzi Wells take it to the rim from 20 feet out without even touching any blue material on the way to the strings.

I hope Flip makes them run some sprints.

4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

D

You can't judge the defense from one play man. There are gonna be those times when someone is gonna go uncontested for a layup, and I'm sure the players took it to themselves that it wouldn't happen again.

From what I see, keeping opponents to scoring less than 90 if I'm not mistaken, and giving ourselves opportunity to run away with the game, that's great defense for me.

Let's go PISTONS. :nod:

5. G-man

G-man Starter

Bric

You must not have seen the game. The went to the rim endlessly against our starting 5. Not once. Both Rahim and Wells. I thank we gave up the Big Nasty's world rattling throw down as a sympathy dunk, I'm not even counting that one.

The final score was equally indicative of their having plenty of good looking shots simply rolling off the metal. The Kings looked like queens.

6. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Lack of interior d

Here is the question would you rather guys out of position try to get in the play late and get called for the cheep foul , or get hurt trying to stop a bucket that was gonna go anyway? I would rather see our guys bang it out in close games not when the other team is killing themselves trying to get back into a game.

I didnt see the game but I watched the highlights on nba.com and checked the box score. Yes guys were out of position but we out rebounded them 44-32 so let that slide by. We had 4 blocks they had 3 so our d gets another freebie. We had the same amount of turnovers as them (4 coming from our bench) but 12 steals to there 6 so we let that slide too. The way I see it we got the W :) nobody got hurt :) our team got the job done. From the way lee made it sound our fastbreak points counter the few easy buckets they got anyway. I'm all about calling the guys out if it resulted in a loss or if it becomes evident its because of poor execution but so far I just dont see it being a problem.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i can agree with you about our interior D for:
    - the first 5 minutes of the game we decided to coast through
    - the stretch of 4 straight plays - 2 layups + 2 dunks (ending in corliss's)

after those 4 straight plays the pistons did a pretty good job down low...and they got blocks at key times. i wasn't really bothered with it, it's not going to happen on a consistent basis.

arroyo had a really rough game...he got shanked on some calls but he was still off. we had a 3-on-1 fast break after he got a steal, but instead of passing he tried to get a layup over the defender and missed. he did do a good job of getting mcdyess some open shots though.

tayshaun's streak of 10 straight shots, including 3 3-pointers, made me think of that kansas game...and he realy looks like he's having fun out there. after one shot the kings called timeout and he ran back down the court with his arms doing a punching bag motion, hilarious.

sheed's minutes are really low this year - even with an effective offensive game last night he didn't play much in the 2nd half.

we had a ton of easy transition baskets...just about every steal resulted in an easy score, and we also chucked a few downcourt after the kings scored and were slow to get back on D - these were especially demoralizing because they kings would work really hard to get a decent shot off, and 2 seconds later it would be for naught. the fact that the pistons completely broke down the kings mentally, in their home opener, is incredible - especially since sacremento is 57-3 against east teams at home since 2001.

and finally, i have no idea why corliss isn't getting playing time. the only time they were back in the game was when he was on the court (7 points in 5 minutes), and he was able to plow through evans in the post. kings coulda used him last night

8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Just to set the record straight in this forum, too

From the combo of Delfino, Maxiel and Darko, we had more than just JMax's contribution. Darko had a couple of shot alterations, an assist, a board, and two free throw makes obtained from a very good drive from the corner, when he had to be fouled to be stopped. Pretty good effort.

Interesting that Blaha spent so much time defending Flip's playing the bench such a short time. As far as I am concerned, he does not have to defend Flip. Coach is trying to win games and playing the starters a little longer on the road, especially the first game of a road trip, is to be expected. Gotta get the trip started out on a winning note. And he played Evans a little earlier and longer because he thought Evans would play hard to prove something to Sac. He was right there, too.

It is certainly not time to get sensitive about PT. He have a 'ship to win and a team to get ready for post-season.

Flip will "gitterdun".

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons were easily destroying the Kings. No need to foul them or risk injury when they make a good pass and get to the rim on us. It looked like the starters could have held them under 80 even with all the gimme's and still scored 110 on Offense.

Does Mo Evans hit a 3 from the left corner every single game? It sure seems like it.

Before the game, Tayshaun was talking about the Pistons establishing an inside presence to open up the outside game. I had the feeling that Sheed would be working the post, and he finally did. Several easy baskets showed what he can do when he feels like it.

Even though Tay went off, I thought this was the best all around game from our big 5.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I didn't see the game but I listened to it. The pistons went on a run early. Made a few short runs during the 2nd and 3rd. In the 4th, they held sac scoreless for 5 minutes. Not too bad.

I had hoped the Darko would get some burn in the first half. Well, the season is long. On the PT issue, I'm not so concerned with the starters playing so much...the preseason was given over to the bench so the starters need this part to come together under the system.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This team always has had the occasional defensive lapse. It's no biggie. Bibby was threading the needle to Peja. Not much you can do about that. Plus Bonzi pretty much always owns Rip. His strength is just to much for him. He's bound to get a couple of easy shots on him. Plus, the Kings have 2 big men who can hit shots out to the three point line, so our bigs can't help nearly as well as they can against most teams. I'm not concerned about the defense at all.

12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Totally uncalled for. :mad: :mad: Maybe we should get a hold of that Shaq interview when he called them the Sacramento QUEENS and play it just before the Pistons vs. Kings game on the big screen at the Palace. Then have a Sharman bathroom tissue mascot dancing on the court with a Kings jersey on wearing pink tights.:laugh:

13. max

max All-Star

Game

The ill-advised SAC Piston video was a hot topic on the Jim Rome show today. Nobody thought it was funny.

Off to a great start on the Western trip. The other 2 are very winnable games.

So far its looking like a lot of offense has been added to the leagues best defensive team. Still early to get too excited. With 3 of the 4 games scoring over 100 and all 4 opponents held under 90 its hard not to.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm with G-Man on this one... there were several occasions when it looked like our bigs had a clear path to block the shot and just decided not to do so. Granted they would have made the effort (mostly Sheed) if the game was on the line... but it's just not something you expect to see from our bigs... we don't want anyone getting comfortable going to the rack... Sheed had no fouls and could have made the plays (at least three of them).
    You could see how intimidated they were early in the game (Peja missed 10' er etc.)
    It catches ya by surprise when the efforts not there... that's all

Gotta like how Tay set em up on that one block.... it was like a spider spinning it's web and just hanging around waiting for the prey.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm looking forward to seeing the offense against some of the better defensive teams (Pacers, Spurs)... that will be a true indicator of the progress... so far we haven't played a good defensive team yet.

16. max

max All-Star

Very True

I have wonderd that myself. But this is not the pre-season and there is some defense there. I think it will hold up. So much chemistry now with the starters.

I would not expect 100 points against a good defensive team. Bottom line the defense has not slipped and the offense has gotten better. That has to be a good sign.

Last season Pistons started off letting in a few over 100 and now they are scoring over 100.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great game

Besides that cruel pre-game wideo everything looked great. After the arco arena was gatting loud because of the kings quick start we had the skill and toughness to just suck it up and beat them not only beat them blow them out.

-Chauncey Billups: Great game good job of taking it to the kings and getting everyone elsre involved as well He finished 16 points and 8 assists, he did especially well in the first half with 14 and 5 assists. also mr. big shot pulled down 4 boards and had 3 steals.

-Richard Hamilton: So far he has done amazing, and he didn't stop yesterday scoring 21 and dishing out 5 assists. he shot above 50% again (9-17). Rip and his backourt mate chauncey both did a great job in helping with the rebounds (rip had 6) along with the wallaces because tay was out on the perimeter gaurding peja.

-Tay: Did a great job shutting down Stojacovic the entire game by keeping one of the good shooters in the league with only 9 points of 4-13 shooting. Was very quiet the first half, but he lit up the kings with 19 points off a perfect 8-8 shooting and 3-3 from 3 point land in the second quarter to give the POistons a huge lead.

-Rasheed: Even though he had 0 fouls he only played 26 minutes, but he made his prescence early by scoring all 10 points inside and stopping his opponent from scoring. Very active getting 4 steals in the game. sheed also got 4 boards and the 3 asists.

-Ben: Another dominant performance on the defensive end by getting 14 rebounds and getting kings center brad miller frustrated by keeping him to only 8 points, and getting him to turn the ball over 5 times. Ben had a very quiet 9 points and almost snuck up on a double-double. Ben shot good at the line for the second straight game by shooting 3-4 against the kings and 7-10 against toronto. Ben also had 3 assists the pistons combined for a total of 26 assists.

-bench: hte bench had 21 12 coming from evans. the bench in my opinion didn't do as well as the other game mainly because Arroyo was in foul trouble, and he creates many plays for other people. Dice had 4 points and 9 boards to help the bench as well.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I have Big ben on my Fantasy team and he's shooting 66% from the line. :faint2:
    Considering his past performance, its an eye opener to say the least. Compare that to Antoine Walker. :eyebrows:

19. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Merc/G-Man

I think the early fouls in the last several games have had an impact on the way 'Sheed's playing defensively. He's trying to stay on the floor as opposed to contesting the shot.

Hopefully he can find a happy medium there.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He had 0 fouls and 4 steals today. good sign, mo evans did good coming back to scaramento, maybe dice will do good when he goes back to phoenix, and same with sheed going back to portland.