Detroit's Biggest Sports Icon in the last 25 years

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Who is the most iconic/heroic Detroit Athlete in the last 25 years?

1. Isiah Thomas

9.5%
  2. Joe Dumars

16.7%
  3. Ben Wallace

11.9%
  4. Barry Sanders

23.8%
  5. Steve Yzerman

38.1%
  6. Alan Trammell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jack Morris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Barry Sanders

As much as I love the Pistons, Barry Sanders is the most incredible athlete I've ever seen. If the Lions were losing it didn't matter, I'd still be on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Barry might do next. Open field running, reverse directions, breaking tackles ...incredible.

Emmit Smith may have the rushing record but he sure ain't no Barry Sanders.

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Locally its a toss up between Stevie Y and Zeke. Nationally it's gotta be Barry. He is probably the only memorable (outside of MI) Lion in the last 25 years.

Honorable mention to the Motor City Cobra. He like Stevie and Zeke enjoyed a career that spaned a golden era in their particular sport.

3. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I dearly love these kinds of polls and discussions. It is impossible to believe how many points of view, how many ways of looking at things, come out.

They make these forums entirely worth while.

Now, what's next?

4. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

I gotta go with Yzerman here. He was a true leader that went about his business of representing his team, his family, the NHL and the city of Detroit with dignity and respect for two decades.

At one point he was such a big icon in the city, although mostly in the suburbs, it was just unbelievable. He was huge, as were those championship Red Wings teams. They really captivated the city like nothing I've ever seen before.

While Barry was literally breaking peoples ankles in Pontiac and abroad, and simply just wowing folks out of their shoes almost every time he touched the ball, I'm still bitter and have not gotten over the way he turned his back on the city, the fans and his teammates. Especially the way he did it, right on the eve of training camp like that. It was like a smack in the face as he was heading out the door. An unbelievably classless act.

I'm sure I will get over it in time, but until that time comes Stevie gets my vote.

Of course, Honorable mentions go to the BadBoys and those old Tiger teams. They'll always be near and dear to our heart, but just don't stand out like the former two.

While the Pistons and Tigers captivated the city in their heyday. I just can't put them on the same iconic plateau.

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I really appreciate how a lot of yall respect me as the "OldSkool" detroit brother of this Forum. So if u are under 35, let me educate you on how WONDERFUL Steve Yzerman has been to the 'nature' of Detroit sports:

1. When you saw 'LB" wearing a REdWing jersey at a "NBA" press conferrence to honor Stevie Y, it let the 'world' know that when u come to the D, u better recognize two wonders..Stevie , the singer and stevie, the player!
    2. 22 years AS CAPTAIN!!!!! Yall dont hear me. I've been squad leader in the Army and I respect leadership. But leadership , u cant aquire. U have to be born with it. Stevie has led us towards excellence over 20 years. Only Tram comes close, but his managerial record falls off.
    3. Zeke left town in a hissy fit or it wouldnt even be close.
    4. Sanders left in a hissy fit or it wouldnt be close.
    5. Am I the only one who hates not wearing white AT HOMe? What was the NHL thinking? They destroyed trdition and THE NHL lost me as a fan. I still love THEWINGS however.
    6. Stevie got hurt..came back..got hurt, came back...and so on
    7. Hockey is a lexacon in Motown/Ontario. U have the Wings or the Leafs. The Leafs gave us nothing even though they had GREAT teams. The Wings at least GOT THERE!!! And it was the leadership, seen and unseen , OF STEVIE Y>
    8. Number 19 is just COOOOL!! Who was the best NBA player to wear Number 19? (No one will get this!!!!)
    9. Yall know that I am a 'pretty' black man, right? From the inner city? And if I know who Yzerman is and what he's about...that settles ALLL of this. If a black man loves him OVER Zeke...he's the man!
    10. 3 Stanley Cups...STILL THE GREATEST TROPHY ever made and the greatest ceremony ever seen.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL. You have a point. I'm swayed. Consider my vote officially changed to Yzerman as #1. :D

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Speaking of which, we have this media celeb calls himself "Cabbie". He was interviewing NBA guys about Hockey and Hockey guys about basketball. It was pretty funny.

Cabbie asks Mo Pete and Ben Wallace what the name of the NHL Championship trophy is called, and Ben got it no problem. Mo Pete had a little trouble but got it in the end. Stanley Cup.

So, Cabbie asks a couple Maple Leafs about what the NBA trophy is called (Larry O'Brien trophy). They didn't know. So when he told them the name, they asked,

"Can you drink from it?"

And he said, no.

Both players said, "What good is a trophy if you can't drink from it?!?!"

It is the coolest trophy in professional sports. Superbowl trophy is next.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

At the risk of revealing too much about myself, here goes:

Barry Sanders.

I didn't grow up in Detroit. As the son of an Army aviator, I lived all over the country. I moved to Detroit about 12 years ago, and feel like a Detroiter. But, not being from here, I feel I have a unique perspective on the city.

Barry represents Detroit.

The guy had soooo much talent. if he would have gone almost anywhere else, he would have multiple rings, more fame, more glory, and probably more money.

But he stayed here. he gave 200% to an organization (or city) that just didn't have it's sh!t together. Why? I don't know. I guess he just loved it here. I can relate. there are no jobs, (no championships!) and the day to day is a grind. You know it would be easier somewhere else, but you stay. And the people show you much love.

Barry Sanders IS Detroit.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Stanley cup is the coolest trophy. It has all the history right on it. You don't own it, you just take it on a bar tour for a year and get drunk with everyone who appreciates victory and drinking. Very, very cool.

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LMAO!!! Thanks Ol Sith Lord...may the force be with u!!

12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Its the Stanley Cup and the Super Bowl such a distant second, u can hear echoes!!!:laugh:

13. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I voted for Yzerman. I'm Canadian though, so of course Yzerman is and has always been a high-profile name. If I was American, I might think of Sanders (i.e. football) before Yzerman (i.e. hockey) when thinking of Detroit.

I think that the NHL actually went back to an even older tradition. My Dad followed the game back in the 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure he told me that visitors wore white back then.

Number 19 is cool, because it's a prime number (yes, I'm a geek). As for the best NBA player to wear 19, I nominate Willis Reed, with an honourable mention going out to Lenny Wilkens.

The Stanley Cup does indeed rule, although the Grey Cup (Canadian Football League) is also an excellent trophy. (And yes, you can drink from the Grey Cup too -- it is a cup after all!)

14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

like most of these questions, a lot depends on what you mean. roscoe said "iconic/heroic".

an icon, in the sense i think he intended means "a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something" (in this case detroit).

a hero, again as i took it, means "a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, noble qualities"

from the definition of iconic, it's hard to argue with the barry folks (after all, he's the one on the side of the building). but the catch with iconic is that it depends on who is doing the "regarding". obviously, fewer people regard hockey than football or basketball; especially outside of detroit (and other big hockey cities). and then you 've got to factor in hero, which was part of the question. and of course, hero also depends on who is doing the admiring and idealizing and what one means by courage, outstanding, and noble.

hmmm...

i'm setting aside the disparate media coverage of these sports and just pretending that all four sports -- baseball, hoops, football, and hockey --get equal play. and so i'm just considering the criteria to be: closeness and length of association with the city; outstanding achievements within his sports (individual achievements first, but then also team success); courage (to me meaning doing something even when it's scary or threatening, for whatever reason); nobility (character, unselfishness, the kind of person you think would have your back in a jam) when i do that, i'm left with barry, yzerman, joe d, and isaiah.

barry certainly was iconic (see building), but maybe not so long. he definintely had outstanding individual achievements and was courageous (though I doubt any more so than the other ones), but i'm not so sure about noble qualities. so he's out for me.

then you've got isaiah: certainly iconic for a time (but for some time now i'd say his association with detroit has been diluted by his affairs elsewhere). definitely outstanding and courageous. again, i'm not seeing isaiah as noble though. he's out.

joe d: iconic in a more durable way than isaiah since his very visible run as GM. obviously outstanding (HOF), courageous (in a number of ways, not just on the court), and noble by all accounts. still in the running.

yzerman: iconic: an amazing continuous 2 decade run as the heart and soul of the team (kind of like reggie in indianapolis, or the mailman in salt lake city). outstanding again, courageous, and noble. also still in the running.

conclusion: though i'm tempted to give it to joe d because i am more of a basketball fan and because i greatly appreciate how his qualities have transferred from the court to the front office (the outstanding ability is obvious, but what about the courage entailed by some of the moves he's made); i ultimately have to go with yzerman because i'd say his achievements within his sport are even more outstanding than joe d's, and he ranks the same in every other category.

thanks for giving the professor something to ponder roscoe: a morning without pedantic overanalysis is like a morning without sunshine for us!

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are welcome Prof! Actually, I was looking around for good conversation pieces on other forums, and all I could come up with besides this was "Should Chauncey Billups get his belly button pierced?". (AHB & FP22 will know where I am talking about)

Btw, in hindsight, it's just not right that Darko is not in this poll.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No problem. Do another poll. Instead of iconic/heroic you can use criteria such as idiotic/hedonistic. ;)

17. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

This was a very hard choice for me, and still is. I chose Joe D., but feel Stevie Y. is as deserving, if not more, than Joe. The only reason I chose Joe over Stevie is just for personal reasons. I am, and will always be, a big Red Wings fan, but the lockout did leave a bad taste in my mouth. As a loyal hockey fan, I did return to hockey whole heartedly and am thrilled watching the Wings try to bring it home, along with the Pistons! Both of these men have long and amazing resumes in this city, it's a matter of personal choice....looking at both sports. Stevie is on his way into retirement, most likely after this season, while Joe has some time left leading our beloved Pistons into another championship season!!
    GO WINGS!!!
    GO PISTONS!!!

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Hahaha, great posts, my bruddah! Now thaa I look back , red WAS the Wings home jersey THEN, 'my tradition" is the white, I guess!.....Willis Reed was my answer on 19, with Wilkens and Don Nelson following(I used to shoot my free throws like Nelson).....and I'll drink from the following cups with u anytime my friend, The Stanley Cup, The Dolly Parton DDDD Cup and the Holy Grail!:laugh:

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Best ABC interview EVEr!!!!With Dominic too!!!I laughed again the other night...:laugh:

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tho Stevie Y is great, I had to go with Barry Sanders.

When I think of 'Detroit's Biggest Sports Icon', I'm for whatever reason, thinking about who the rest of the country would pick as who they think of first for that title.

Almost everyone in the country holds Barry as one of, if not, the best running back ever...and Barry WAS Lions football. EVERYONE wanted to see him play...and he was humble thru all of it.