1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Detroit's Biggest Sports Icon in the last 25 years

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Who is the most iconic/heroic Detroit Athlete in the last 25 years?

1. Isiah Thomas

9.5%
  2. Joe Dumars

16.7%
  3. Ben Wallace

11.9%
  4. Barry Sanders

23.8%
  5. Steve Yzerman

38.1%
  6. Alan Trammell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jack Morris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't believe that Barry Sanders have more votes than Joe Dumars, I don't get it. Joe brought the championship, Barry brought us grief. Great player who left the game to early, I would be right up there if he had won us a division title at least. But that's the Lions, a completely different topic for another day.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

army, as I think I posted earlier, this poll will look very different if the Pistons have a successful post-season.

Barry and the Lions for some reason inspire a lot of unrewarded loyalty. I appreciate what an amazing athlete Barry was, but his humble and down-to-earth nature have in retrospect been covered by many a writer as merely traits of an introvert.

Barry was amazing when he broke one for 40+. He was lousy when he got tackled twice for loss, then the third down and long pass sailed wide for a 3 and out. Our memories are fuzzy histories indeed. In reality, he was good for 2~4 good runs a game.

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

...its not about what the country thinks, Bro team, its about what we think. As a Army vet, I've been around the world and i gotta tell you. No one speaks that dearly of Barry , in relation to his iconism. He's not revered as a Montana, elway or Favre. For RB's, he's not even up there with Franco Harris as a hero. BECAUSE he won NOTHING! He showed in Green Bay, when we were a "better' team, and left with 16 touches and 00000yards!.Stevie has 3 Cups and if it wasnt for lousy goaltending, 6!!
    Most people take flash over substance, just like a woman takes a doctor over a garbage man. Barry , for all his flash, will always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Stevie can never do anything a REAL sports fan will diminish!