1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Dice to be starter?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by AI IS GOD, Feb 5, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Shoot me. Seriously just end the season now. I guess losing the leads when this pair is in the game together has convinced Curry that we need to start them.

2. max

max All-Star

They were both are starters last year. What changed to make them so innefective other than Sheed slowing down?

Not been getting off to the greatest starts lately so I don't know. If this is Dyess last year then the advantage to this is allowing him to have more control over his own fate. Maybe he will surprise us.

3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sarcasm ahead....

Curry is trying to be low profile, fellas. Get all the teams to suck into his plan. Changing starting line ups after every 20 games to confusethe whole league and all the fans. Come playoffs, this is the starting line up: -

PG - W Bynum
    SG - A Acker
    SF - W Sharpe
    PF - W Hermann
    C - K Brown

During playoffs, rotation is shortened to 8 players. So the subs would be:-

PG, SG, SF - A Afflalo (since he can play all 3 position)
    PF, C - A Johnson

This will surprise everyone and lead us to our 4th title. :greenapple:

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Chris Wilcox is high on your list? Really?

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It was't all that great last year either plus this isn't the same team. We don't have a slow predictable (or effective) half court set. Curry will use Dyess and Sheed to spread the floor and there will be absolutely no one in the paint.

Ugh . . . I don't even want to think about this anymore. I'm going to the trade for Amare thread.

6. max

max All-Star

59 wins was a success. That season was a success up until game 3 of the ECF.

What does not mean "Using them to spread the floor". You are not going to get very many paint points when your center is more concerned with bombing 3's. Only been a handfull of games where Sheed has gone inside more than a couple of times.

What I see is rapidly aging Sheed and Dyess having his best career here. If anything I would start Dyess at Center and bring Sheed off the bench . Sheed is the one who is a step slow this year - not Dyess.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

We clearly have different views of what constitutes playing well. Sheed has and was bringing it defensively before he got injured, and started to get back into a little bit of a groove lately. He also has has his offensive moments. Sheed may be a step slower sometimes, but he's still by far our best big and the solution to that is not to pair him with someone equally as slow.

Dice expends alot of energy, and puts up good rebounding numbers. 17 rebounds against the heat doesn't change the fact that Dyess playing with Sheed doesn't work as the score would corroborate in that game, the CLE game, and the BOS game when Max was taken out. I'm not saying Dice sucks himself, but he does not look good with Sheed at all. He's also constantly late on helping out, rotating, etc. He's not stopping anyone, and he's not making shots which in gneral doesn't help us when he's in the game with Sheed b/c you have two outisde shooting big men.

Maybe that flaw is not so magnified when you have your guards scoring fairly efficiently on the offensive end, but it's always going to matter on the other end.

In the PO's last year, we weren't '"rolling" and to be honest replacing Dyess in the SL with Max was what got us out of the first round to begin with.

Does anyone think that a 1st round match-up with ATL (it doesn't even work against BOS/CLE)and that SL will be successful ?

8. max

max All-Star

Dyess is a decent defender and he is not constantly late in helping out. he is no DPY but he is pretty solid - at least I think so.

If you start running some plays to go inside he will be there as the rest of the guys were during the 7 game winning streak. Not like he is camping out beyond the 3-pt line.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The interpretation of how Dice looks on defense gets muddled fairly quickly unless you look back at the details. You have to look at the times he is in the games as the center and the times he is in as the power forward. He has been very effective on defense as our center but as a power forward he is usually a step slow and not as effective.

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I found it surprising a few weeks ago when someone pointed out how close Rasheed's numbers are this year to the previous couple.

NBA.com : Rasheed Wallace Career Stats Page

In fact, he's had only one year with a higher rebound average since the 01-02 season, and only three better rebounding years in his entire career.

I thought that was interesting.

11. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Curry is truly unbelievable. Is he watching the games? Dyess/Sheed for extended minutes hurt more than help. Another lineup change. UGH. What must Joe be thinking?

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly right - good analysis. Only thing I'd add, and maybe it's just a different version of your #1, but both Sheed and Dyess have a structured role in the offense, Dyess on the pick and pop, and Sheed... well, shooting from wherever he wants to. Neither Amir not Max shoots as well, so blending a shooter with a role with an energy guy makes loads of sense.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You got that right. I see nothing wrong with Dyess as a defensive center. On offense, as long as he goes inside half the time rather than continuously rely on jumpers, he is fine there too. Of course, that does not apply if he plays starters minutes too long. Then his age shows.

14. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Just let it all out Low.

We all hate Curry.

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I hated him as a player and I should have KNOWN better than to give him the benefit of the doubt as a coach.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If only we could go back in time and doubt him more...

17. max

max All-Star

Maxiel/Amir are close but I do think that Dyess is probably still our best offensive rebounder and an energy guy.

We may be better off without Sheed altogether. Or maybe just bring him in for 10-20 MPG ( like that will ever happen )

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you ignore rebounding though, Sheed is almost irreplaceable as a defender.

I agree that Dyess is also a good offensive rebounder, but AJ and JM are weak defensive rebounders. Unless we're planning on playing some type of running style with the bench unit, they are about to have a big weakness. On the other hand, Sheed or Dyess will probably always be in the game, so maybe that's how that problem is solved.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

There is always a hitch to Curry's moves so maybe Kwame becomes un-benched if this happens?

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I gather that this coaching hire is in preparation for Tayshaun Prince ascending to the head coaching position.