Did Darko free the Brahma?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Dec 11, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko got some flack, in the Detroit media, for complaining about Joe not forcing the coaches to play him:

Sports
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Milicic said he repeatedly had conversations with Pistons' general manager Joe Dumars during his time in Detroit about his lack of playing time. What miffed him was that he said Dumars wanted him on the court, but that he couldn't overrule head coaches Larry Brown and then Flip Saunders.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"I don't know if I can buy that," Milicic said. "If you are the GM and you keep telling me that you want me to get the chance to play 10 or 15 minutes, you can't tell me you can't make it happen. But I still respect (Dumars) a lot because he's a great guy. But that's a story that I can't buy."[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But, just a few hours after this comment, JMax's string of DNPs suddenly ends, and he gets 17 minutes. Coincindence? And then, this comment from McCoskey's weblog:[/FONT]

But here's the deal. I have been told that the Pistons are not looking at another back-up point at this time. The reason is Will Blalock. The Pistons want, sooner or later, to see what they have in this kid. If Murray falters, Dumars and John Hammond, want to see how Blalock handles the challenge.

Dumars and John Hammond, no Flip. And when you consider Saunders said Delfino was out of the rotation, yet Delfino played the next game, have to believe Joe is putting some pressure on Saunders, and that pressure is growing. No wonder Flip took some extra time off to "visit the family" in Minnesota. Any chance he's already taken the job for U of Minny?

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Interesting theory. I would take Darko's beef with a ton of salt; because as we all witnessed, he didn't do a dam thing with the time he was given. Fortunately, our other youngsters are not "flicted" with that deadly disease.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the powers that be have finally realized (DUH) that they can solve their marketing nightmare (no Ben Wallace) by pushing the kids out front and selling their hope and energy.

It's not like the vets are bad guys, but there best attempts at selling even Billups as the face of the team is not connecting with the die-hards.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is a tough call for a GM... he wants to give the coach enough rope to tie a ribbon on the trophy or hang himself... yet you are responsible for draft decisions and contracts... I think if both parties can talk daily there's no reason that two responsible business men can't come to an agreement... I think Flip is a little more flexible than Larry but they both want to put the players on the floor that gives them the best chance to win.
    Joe specifically said he would not tell the coach who to play... it still has to eat at him watching prospects come and go while wasting scouting efforts... we still have to come to grips with where the team is drafting (minus DMC).
    It's an old discussion of chicken vs egg but our jobs aren't on the line.
    I'm not terribly dissapointed in the PT for Delfino... would like to see a little more minutes for Brahma & A.J. ... keeping A.J. on the low is a smart management decision for this one year.... he's got two more contracts before he's done.
    Darko? No matter how many times we call this situation a mess it's still the same.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

have you seen jmax play lately?? very very sorry looking. hasn't hit a shot, blocked a shot, he did get 1 assist. not playing does affect the way a player plays when he does eventually play.

darko is however doing well in orlando when he's actually given an oppurtunity to play. these aren't garbage time minutes either he's playing during crunchtime and producing great results more often than not.

6. max

max All-Star

I have a hard time believing that Dumars is not influencing who plays. Perhaps not on a daily basis, coaching is easily a 60 hr/wk job so he can't be there micro managing. He has to be setting goals or stating what he would like to see.

In Darko's case. Blaiming the coaches was the easist way to difuse the situation considering he was going to trade him.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hey. There is nothing wrong with Micro managing! ;)

8. bball jay

delfino was supposedly out of the rotation. i think joe made a call and fixed that. so i would not give credit to flip.

i don't think flip puts the players on the floor that gives them the best chance to win. he just plays the starters for 40 minutes. i think flip plays it safe. you should play the players that will make you win the championship not the regular season games.

jmax can help us now. delfino is better than flip murray. amir is great he shoots a high percentage and blocks shots like crazy. how come these guys don't fall up under players that give the best chance to win?? the starters could be stinking it up and flip still plays them.

9. bball jay

darko requested a trade. joe did want darko to play. he would have traded him for harrington in the offseason if joe didn't still belive in darko.

10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I wish that trade would have went down...........:)

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

According to McCoskey's blog and who else?

40 minutes?... really?... care to back that up with real averages

All for replacing guys that show no effort... however every player (including our golden boy rookies) play poorly at times... if we take out the starters when they struggle then we should do the same for the rooks... do you notice when they don't contribute or is it always a conspiracy against the youth?

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I agree and contrary to some other opinions, this is the most likely scenario. It is the GM's sole responsibility to make sure the players and their contracts have equal value.

It is also important for the GM to weigh the overall direction of the ball club in respect to possible trades and the values they might have to use for organizational purposes.

It is not beyond a certain realm that other teams may have an interest in some bench players and what to observe them in action. Works both ways.

13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

What's J-Max's play got to do with Darko? If Darko had an ounce of J-Max's heart, desire and determination he would still be here and we'd be talking about what a tandem they make.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you still worship that clown. Last time I checked he delivered 10 and 6 on a night when D-Howard had a (rare) bad game. That what you call "results?" BTW, the Magic got blown out, or so I'm told.

14. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

While watching the game tonight, I was thinking that with the way DMC was abusing Thomas (words of the announcers) and playing well all around, he would probably have his best game against the best team in the NBA (right now). But with his (and Ariza's) work before the half, and the team down only two points, they went off the floor.

When they came back, the starters, the Suns got it going. Darko came in soon after because Dwight was piling up fouls at a terrific rate. But DMC never got the ball in any kind of decent position to work inside the rest of the game. The shoot first, pass when they feel like it guards just kept the ball.

He did get two blocks on the same possession although the scorers gave him only one.

Last time I checked, his stats are better than any big on the Pistons with the exception of Sheed. DMC would be starting this year for us according to that, and we would be talking about the combo of Sheed and DMC. And with CB supplying the assists, we would have a decent inside game.

I don't suppose you agree with any of that, but that's your prerogative.

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That hurts- just imagine a frontline of Darko and Sheed, with JMax and AJ coming of the bench- our future would look far brighter than it does.
    But no need to complain, we have Nazr :nerd2:

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

That's more of an indictment on our players than the brilliance of DMC. DMC's numbers are not as good compared to other players who have the same amount of minutes across the league. We've proven this over and over and over again. Dude is wackadocious. If he was a Piston, we'd be looking for a starter...because Darko is a bench player for a good team and a starter if the team sucks. I'll believe this until he proves otherwise. I got no faith in the kid. I'd put my money on Lamarcus Aldridge breaking out before he does and he has alot of lumber to cut through to get minutes. Show me the money! Darko's potential and a nickle couldn't score me a pack of Wrigleys gum.

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Motown, do you really want to say we're better off with Nazr Mohammed as the starting C than we'd be with Darko???

18. bball jay

i was bringing up jmax to point out that you need to play your young players or they will lose the momentum and strides they make. jmax was owning people in the preseason and now he's out of the rotation. then last couple of games he found himself on the court and he couldn't get his shot going. it's all about oppurtunity and right now it seems like darko didn't get one in detroit and jmax isn't getting one either.

don't go just by stats to observe results. look at the win column and watch a few games. darko is a big part of why the magic are a winning team. darko is a great team player. he got 8 shots during that game. against phoenix in 27 minutes he should have got at least 15. this is coaching not an issue with darko.

19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i'd probably rather darko, but what motown is saying is there are plenty of other big guys out there in the same minute zone that are better than BOTH darko and nazr.

a lot more...

this is just rebounding.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/nba-stuff/4053-our-orlando-pick-15.html#post60702

at least nazr is locked up for 4 years with his contract. darko is still looking for his and chances are we wouldnt be able to keep him after this year anyway.

20. bball jay

darko plays on a team that is similar to our 2004 team. he won't put up lots of numbers because he's so unselfish and the team is so balanced.

i disagree. darko would be owning the league if he was a piston. he would have some real guards to pass him the rock. he would have players that know how to pass to the big man on the pick and roll. he would be leading the league in blocks. his defense would seem even better because he would have tayshaun and sheed to back him up. his assist would go up because he has no problem passing to jmax who can finish. we already know he likes to pass to amir who is a high percentage shooter. on the pistons darko would have 4 other players on the court with him that would make him better. orlando isn't at that point yet.

darko has already broke out in my opinion. he's one of the best big man defenders in the league already. offensively he needs some more work and some new guards that pass.