1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Did Darko free the Brahma?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

they may be better statistically in rebounds but they aren't better players. orlando shoots a very high percentage so there are also less rebounds to get. other teams have a lot more shots per game to rebound also.

if we had kept darko and teated him right he would have signed for less to stay with the team. darko did an interview in orlando and already said it's not always about the money. so for a little bit over what we are paying nazr we could have had darko at 21 years old. he's 21 and he's got like 60 games of nba experience. he's going to get better this is just scratching the surface.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think so. Given decent playing time, he would have signed an extension and it wouldn't have broken the bank. However, Wallace and Billups would and we only have Naz because Wallace skipped town.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I totally disagree. Darko would have broken the bank.

Maybe not Ben Wallace type money, but certainly more than Nazr Mohammed and closer to Rip/Tayshaun money.

The evidence is in the hardball deals his agent struck for Samuel Dalembert and Tyson Chandler. Two so-so starters with lots of "potential" and little consistency. In some ways, Darko is the mirror of those guys.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Exactly. Thanks Webz! :)

5. Slippy

Darko did say that he would have signed the offer from the Magic. I am sure it was more than $6. Probably more in the 8 range.

6. MotownPride

You have nothing to quantify that statement. Based on your criteria of what makes Darko a good player, if you looked at those other guys you can make the same arguements. Only difference is that you are in love with this dude. Alot of these players have college careers that were more promising than anything Darko has shown so far. The NBA does not have any shortage of potential...its production that is the high commodity. Your boy has yet to show it so that groups him with everyone else in the league who hasn't been able to turn the corner regardless of what spin you put on it.

Any other comment you've made on Darko's skill is not worth addressing as it is based on too much hypothesis to counter intelligently without being trapped in your circular ramblings.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey, how many of these so called like minute centers play on winning teams?
    Look at Orl. before Darko and TDrib. Weigh in the ten games they lost before Darko got significant minutes. Weigh in the win streaks before the end of last season. Now how come the Magic haven't settled back into sub .500 win range? Any ideas? Could G.Hill be doing it all by his lonesome?

8. roscoe36

That's because he is playing a dangerous game right now. The Magic are playing it perfectly.

They offer him a guaranteed deal, but quickly backed off because it was premature.

If they tender DMC the qualifying offer at the end of the season, they can wait and let someone else offer him big bucks. If they decline to match, now they can be big players in free agency.

If no one bites the Magic become can negotiate a reasonable deal with DMC.

If the Darko camp panics (unlikely) and signs a lesser than offer sheet, the Magic can match.

It is not in Darko's interest to be left with the qualifying offer and unrestricted free agency the next year. It didn't work out for Reggie Evans or Vladimir Radmanovic. No one is going to spend their big free agent dollars for sub-elite players. They want the Wallaces, the Carters, the Stojakovics. Everyone else can only offer Mid-Level Exceptions (Nazr Mohammed type money) which is ok, but far from a big payday.

DMC's best chance of getting a great deal is to play well enough to start a bidding war (someone will foot the bill at the end), or to justify the Magic re-signing him for veteran starter type dollars ($8~$9 million to start).

I doubt there will be a bidding war, unless he lives up to the #2 hype over the remainder of this season. Darko's best chance of getting paid is in Orlando. The question is, how much...

9. MotownPride

No doubt Darko contributes. I would offer that Grant Hill's impact > Darko's impact though. I'd also point to the growth of D. Howard, Ariza, Arroyo and Nelson as big reasons why the team has emerged. Don't forget Brian Hill's contribution either. He's been great! The Orlando team I watched the other night was pretty impressive and that perspective was derived sans Darko's egg laying.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess you're saying the best way to get value for Darko is to play him starter minutes while he is still at bench pay?
    My guess is someone will throw big money at Darko with huge minutes too.
    Orl. would be stupid to let him get away.

11. roscoe36

If we're talking strictly as businessmen, the best way to get value for Darko is to play him sparingly. This is based upon the presumption that the Magic feel that he will be a tremendous player.

Now, Darko and his agent won't like it, because it will depress his value, but for the Magic, it's really the only way to go. That is unless they hit the 40 game mark and feel like they are close to being a contender. Then they may be willing to invest more time in him, but with Hill retiring, they have a big hole to fill if the team is going to keep moving forward.

Yes and no. Turk has never been an every game starter, and Hill may retire.

While it is nice to bring another 7 footer off the bench, or start two, the lure of Vince Carter in free agency, giving the Magic a potential group of Nelson, Carter and Howard is exciting. Now factor in if Hill decides to re-sign at the vet. minimum.

Again, it really comes down to the evaluation Otis Smith and his staff have done behind the scenes on Darko, and how close they think they are right now (and next year sans Hill) to making a run to a championship.

12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Problem with that argument is that Grant was not playing last year when they finished the year 16-6. As far as I saw, he never even suited up.

This year, a different story. He is intregal part.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We know minimizing Darko is the quickest way to subvert the team.
    How important is Turk to Darko? Is he his running buddy? When is Turk coming back?

14. MotownPride

I was only reffering to this year's performance.

15. roscoe36

*Trying* to get back on track, it's seems pretty obvious to me that there is a little push inside the Pistons management to play some of these kids.

I'm with Merc on keeping Amir Johnson under wraps, but is it really reasonable to hide him for an entire season?

Btw, Blalock could be sent down to the D-League in January. I imagine that is contingent on Hunter's return.

16. roscoe36

And what will we do next year? Delfino will be playing for a contract, and Maxiell for an extension. We're going to have 2 incoming guaranteed salary first rounders, at least one, if not both will be on the active roster.

Maybe Joe is hoping that Flip Murray walks.

17. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i don't think we should hide anyone because they can help us win. i disagree about keeping youngsters on the bench hidden. i say play them and get the most out of them for 3 years while they are cheap. if they leave they leave at least we got something out of them while they were here. jmax and amir can contribute right now and help us get to the title. we need young guys off the bench that will dunk on someone's head.

18. MotownPride

Good point bball jay. I agree with you there. The stash away mentality does nothing but build resentment with our young players. It also sends a mixed message as it pertains to earining minutes.

19. roscoe36

Yeah but our strategy has been to pick up guys that someone else spent time developing. Hamilton, Billups, Wallace. Those first few years, you really don't get the best out of a player. Most of them don't come into their prime until their second contract (see Memo).

Jmax can do this.

20. Slippy

We have been able to take talent developed elsewhere but it does cost us something. Are we willing to pay for that now? I don't think so. To get anyone of value we will have to give up a veteran.

Our own underdeveloped talent or our future picks aren't worth a guy with upside who is beginning to blossom. Its like investing entirely in tech stocks. It may work great but if you don't diversify (i.e. develop talent in house) you're going to stumble sooner or later.