Did Paxon Stupidity Give Us This Series?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, May 10, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

How could he have traded Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler for 4 second round picks and a geriatric P.J. Brown?

I could not imagine how good the Bulls would have been this year if Paxon had not traded away Curry and Chandler for nothing.

:hoops:
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    They would have had inside game along with good rebounding and shot blocking. Not sure about Curry being in shape and his rebounding. But at the same time he's young and has a pretty good offensive game.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Bulls have had a pretty good year. It's hard to tell how guys would have meshed if those guys weren't traded.

By the way, I think this series is far from over.
  4. max

max All-Star

I am pretty sure the Curry trade got them a couple of 1st round picks. They selected Thomas with one and they get the Knicks pick this season as well. I think that trade turned out pretty good for them.

With Chandler they basically wanted to clear some cap space so they could have some future flexabilty after signing Ben.

The one deal that I am glad for right now is the Gasol deal that did not go through. Not sure what they would have had to give up for Gasol. I think Gordan was one of the players.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes they can swap picks with the Knicks this year...
    IMO Curry is overrated... he's an awful defender.
    I think Paxson blew it when he signed Ben for mega bucks when he had a similar player in Chandler for cheaper (and longer career).
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I think the Bulls are headed in the right direction. They just need to go through some growing pains. The sad thing is, when they are all grown up, Ben will more than likely be a senior citizen! Not to mention what youngens currently on the roster will be gone once the team matures.

Paxson has some tough decisions to make in the very near future. The backcourt of Gordon and Hinrich, a good one IMO, may not be together much longer, their trade value is probably very high right now.

An inside scorer and rebounder would be a very good compliment to Ben. However, he is needed ASAP!!
  7. mikhail1973

Only time will tell which way Bulls are heading. At this time they have a decent PG in Hinrich and a good SF in Deng. Gordon can score, but he can't defend, so his value at this time is hard to determine. Ben is getting up there in age and how much good basketball he has left is anybody's guess. PJ is old. Thomas should be good if he develops, the book is still out on Sefolosha, but he definitely has the talent. Lots depends on how the draft pick in this year's draft will come out. So, the Bulls could become good if Thomas and Sefolosha develop and this year's pick is there. On the other hand, they could be sitting in the mediocrity for the next few years with a $15 mil/yr sitting on the bench.
  8. buddahfan

Neither trade got them first round picks. That was part of my point. 4 second rounders 2 of which came from Denver when Chicago sent J.R. Smith there, whom they had gotten along with I believe P.J. Brown for Chandler from NOK.

Chicago fans are still talking about what if regarding Gasol. Well his younger brother is available in this draft. LOL

9. buddahfan

All good points, but Ben is getting old and his skills are deteriorating pretty rapidly. I think next year will be his last where he will be competitive on a regular basis. Even this year he didn't show up a lot of nights.

It appears to me that Paxon may have made a really dumb deal giving Ben all that money on a more than two year contract. I think that after next year the remaining money on Ben's contract will become dead weight.

Who will step up to be their leader with Ben no longer being dominant? In order to win a title you need to have at least that one leader to lead the herd through the mines of the playoffs. I am not saying one of their young guys may not step up to be that guy. After all it took Nash and C-Bill a number of years to develop their leadership skills.

Not everyone can come into the league and be like Magic.

So, only time will tell. Winning a title is a lot more than having talent. The Knicks got tons of talent and they can't even make the playoffs, even with Zeke as coach. LOL

This year isn't over yet and the Bulls are by no means dead, though hopefully they will be in another 3 hours.

10. mikhail1973

Ben's contract is going to hurt pretty badly. They won't be able to bring anyone of significance in. And I don't know about their other contract situation whether any of the younger guys' contract is up soon - that may be a problem too.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ben's contract gets cheaper over time. It was front loaded, because they had the room to do it right now.

This Chicago team has had their butt whupping. The question is if they will come back harder and stronger next season.

All of the improvement has to be between the ears and in their chests. Adding talent helps but it's not the be all, end all.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I still feel the signing of Ben by Chicago was a good move, also, that New York trade could conceivably get them Greg Oden...how scary would that be?

Even if that doesn't happen, they are in line to get a quality big like Noah or Hibbert and they have one heck of a mentor in Ben Wallace to bring one of those guys along "the right way".

The only move I question was Tyson for PJ.
  13. mikhail1973

I think Chicago still has too many holes to fill. PJ is too old, we all saw it. Tyrus is young, he needs more time to develop. Gordon can't be a starter with his D. Deng needs help scoring, he can't create on his own against better defenders in the league. If they address all these issues they may become a contender in a couple of years, but it is not guaranteed. This may be as good as they've become.
  14. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

WTF are you talikng about? The Curry trade netted Chiocago two first round picks. One was used on Tyrus Thomas, who just happens to be the second coming of Antonio McDyess. The other will be used in this year's lottery.

It was good trade. I would take Tyrus Thomas over Curry straight up.
  15. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A good, fair and accurate post. This team will not be together next year and I see Gordon and Nocioni as gone. This is going to be one heckof a trading summer.
  17. max

max All-Star

That appears to support it right?

= Tyrus Thomas

= This years lottery
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Two points:

1. Thomas will be another John salley

and

C. P-A-X-S-O-N

:pound: