Did Tay, Sheed, Rip & CB Hide Ben W's Weaknesses/Will he Exposed in Chicago

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 14, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

lpgrl26 - Replacing Billups would not be easy. He is far from perfect but try to find someone better? Other GM's will be thinking the same thing, thats the problem.

2. max

max All-Star

Cloud - Actually we had Zelly in the early Carlisle days and he was pretty good before the heart deal.

With Ben and the impact he will/not have I really do not know what is going to happen. The Pistons could have guys stepping up and Modammed/Maxiel could play better than what we think. Sheed can have a great season, Dyess could.

Ben in Chic should have a good year with the change. He should be rejuvinated next season with his new team. But they have lost Chandler and have not adding anything except for a rookie that plays PF. SO yea, Ben probably will be back at center.

Who knows?

Its going to be a pretty good motivator for both the remaining Pistons and Ben.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Low, if you are giving away money, I will take some of it. Yes, the Pistons may not play with the same defensive intensity, but they will play defense. I'll see you this spring Low, don't forget your words though because I won't.

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Zelly only played 30 games in the 02-03 season and 21 in the 03-04 season. He averaged about 10 minutes per game for just 21 games in 03-04.

Was Zelly really our Center?

I truly believe that Bens numbers were better back then because the Pistons were a poor rebounding team, and a poor defensive team.

As the team got better at defense and rebounding Ben didn't have to produce prolific efforts for the team to be successful.

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You got a deal. They will have possessions where they don't have the ball. It will be called "playing defense", but you will be thouroughly disappointed. I promise you that.

...and I'll be looking for you this spring, you can bet. :nod:

6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

This is a lame thread topic. We could have a thread just like this for every one of the Detroit Pistons Starting Five.

This team's beauty at it's pinnacle was exquisite team basketball, defensive prowess and unselfish play. Do we really have to keep picking it apart to find a way to make Ben look like a lousy basketball player because he left us?

It's called abandonment feelings. Deal with them. :mad:

All of you who are doing this, you'll do the same thing when the next starter leaves, likely Chauncey. Maybe I should just start the thread now. To save anyone the delusion that they are having an original thought next spring. :rant:

Did Tay, Sheed, Rip and Nazr Hide Chauncey's Weaknesses?
    Will he be exposed in :noidea: ?

Yes, they did and he will. Because that is part of the way a good team works. A balancing of strength and weaknesses, talents and abilities that, if successful, adds up to everyone making everyone look better. Chauncey might have to actually be a point guard somewhere else. Just like Ben might have try to score for the Bulls for a while. That is until everyone adjusts in the new scenario and it finds its own level and balance. Just like we are going to have to do from day one ourselves this year.

Brother. :mad:

:sorry: I'm grouchy. I'm unhappy about the way the roster is shaping up. Nazr? Lindsey? Flip Murray? That's what we did with our little bit of money? I read the title of this thread and just blew my stack.:rant: Are we going to spend all summer demonizing and defending Ben? I guess I'll just try to hang out in the Green Room for a while.:mad:

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Now that Darko is gone, can you think of anything better to discuss?

Well, ok, the fast food and Pluto threads did have their merits.:D

8. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

We Haven't Heard All The Truth From Behind The Scenes For The 05-06 Year. I Have A Feeling Ben Was More Of A Handful Than We Thought.. Why Else Would He Refuse To Enter The Game In Orlando.. I Wonder What Would Have Happened If He Was Suspended. Would Joe Have Overruled Flip? And As Far As Praising L.b. Do You Remember When We Played The Knicks Last Fall And Ben Was Laughing Because He Realized When He Heard L.b. Yelling That He Wasn't Yelling At The Pistons That Time. Ben Was Pretty Happy..

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BBeen brought heart and passion. But needed to have defensive reenforcement to maintain that love. Without those 3 elements it will be damn tough to compete at the ECF's level. We'll need CB's smarts to steer the ship. So who's going to bring the passion?:ohwell:

10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

AGREED TOTALLY!

It should be the other way round. You are right about CB. Without Ben, CB's man will take it to the hole easily. Ben has been there to cover CB's weaknesses most of the time. Without Ben, CB would not have been an All Star.

11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Maybe you should look into getting some type of therapy.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

OH NO!!! Why do I sense a catfight brewing? :laugh:

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Unfortunantly that's right. Joe has officially lost what made him one of the best GM's.:mad:

Flip Murray? Flip Murray? Damn Joe I know we need a back up for Billups, but WTF are you doing?:mad::ohwell:

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There weren't a lot of other options out there. That is what happens when you let a starter go and have to spend the bulk of FA money to replace him.

Not to mention losing Ben probably set the Pistons back in their planning. I don't know what Joe's plans were, but Pryzbilla then Mohammed, followed by Hunter before Murray sounds a little bit like "on the fly" team building.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope Joe uses Flip as trade bait. If Flip does really good I hope some team will trade a good player to us for him.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Himat, think about what you just said! :laugh:

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't care if Flip Murray is doing good by midseason. If he's not playing good D I don't want him here.

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still like the idea you had the best. Resign Cato, which would have freed up the MLE to use on a backup PG or G/F.

I can't see how Nazr for 4 years and only the Bi Annual exception to use (now Flip Murray) makes us better.

I'd be really curious to see Joe's other 10 contingency plans. :frusty: \

Going into the offseason, my wish list would have been:

1. Resign Ben to a reasonable (not 4 years, $60 million) contract
    2. Barring that, at least get a S&T for Ben
    3. Resign Cato and use the MLE on a backup PG or G/F
    4. Sign Joel Pryzbilla

100001. Lose Ben to a division foe for nothing and sign Nazr Mohammed and Flip Murray :mad2:

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL, this wasn’t even option # 99999?

I guess we’re left rationalizing any positives:

1) All of the offensive players should do better with a center that can keep em honest
    2) The team will be younger
    3) It’s not a complete loss of talent. Nazr does bring some assets.
    4) We didn’t mortgage the future
    5) Folks at the game will have a better view without Fros getting in the way
    6) We don’t risk head injury when Ben bricks another FT :frusty:
    7) We’re on the other side of Hack-a-Ben

Ah, who am I kidding… this offseason sucks so far… hopefully the “plan” is not complete and Joe has a deal in the works to save face.

20. max

max All-Star

This thread is by no means a out of the blue Piston fan viewpoint. It has been written about on ESPN and whatnot. Blakely goes further in his web log pointing out that defensivly Ben had Sheed to help shore up the frontcourt which he will not have in Chic. We also forget that before Sheed Ben had Cliff Robinson who helped provide a great defensive 1-2 punch.

I don't know whats going to happen next season. Ben had an absolutely awfull post-season so I don't know if thats a sign of slowing down or if he was just burnt out with the Pistons.

This will not to propell Chic as the team to beat in the East. I see a wild-east situation where Miami, Det, Chic and Clev will all be in contention.

Pistons will just have to go out and play.