Did the Priority change?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 1, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

I tried posting this under articles from an article DeetroitDynasty-e found but there was something else going on there.

So when did Grant Hill become more important than keeping Amir Johnson? Amir was the #2 priority after Billups.

At what point did that happen? Or is this just another McKosky "makes no sense" kind of speculation?

For a team that just drafted 3 guards because they had this Gem waiting to breakout player in Amir Johnson it makes no sense.

Refusal to pay luxury tax could cost Pistons Amir Johnson - Detroit Pistons Full-Court Press - MLive.com

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to what McCoskey said. Jahnke of Freep has a different view of it:
    KRISTA JAHNKE: The Pistons' plan: Step 1, re-sign Billups; step 2, retain Johnson
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Very interesting. The first time I have seen a writer in Detroit attribute the unwillingness to spend into tax territory directly to Bill Davidson.
  4. max

max All-Star

Thanks for posting that. I know McKosky is often wrong but it still concerns me when I read something like that because you never know if this is the one time when he actually had the inside scoop.

Hill should be an afterthought after Billups and Amir are retained.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think that's it max. maybe mckoskey wanted to talk hill without going over all the other stuff
  6. mikhail1973

I thought it was never a big secret. Maybe it wasn't as direct before, but I've read about the tax.
  7. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for the credit max, i've read somewhere that Houston is very interested in getting Rashard Lewis, to bring him back to Houston (he's from H-Town). If Houston is successful in the Rashard sweepstakes all that Amir talk disappears... hopefully its just talk regardless of Rashard, time will tell
  8. max

max All-Star

Slippy - but he did write right in there that Amir would be persued after Hill is locked up.

Every team has the MLE and anyone can step up with a nice 5 year 25-30 mil deal.

Have to figure that a base MLE deal is roughly the same as a beginning rookie deal for a top 5 pick. So the question is does anyone see Amir as important as a top 5 pick?

I don't know. Have to reserve the cash just in case.

Its kind of sad that our front courts future has boiled down to Amir at this time but thats the situation we are in right now.
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Seems like jumping to negative conclusions based upon one writer's opinion.

Besides McCosky is on the outside of all of this. Just because he gets paid to write a blog? LOL on the internet about the Pistons, doesn't mean he is privy to what is actually going on in the front office of the Pistons.

I think common sense sways over one blogger's hyperbole.

Would Joe. D. let someone like AJ go to sign a 35 year old small forward who can't rebound when AJ is our best rebounder and we need rebounding?

It makes absolutely no sense that that is what Joe D. would do. None whatsoever.

AJ will be resigned unless he does something stupid between now and the end of the summer. The only other possibility is that Joe D. might trade AJ for someone like Okafor, but I think Okafor while he has a lot of talent has shown himself at a very young age to be injury prone.

:hoops:
  10. mikhail1973

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

This stuff just never changes. I wonder what Pistons are planning on doing, not what media is thinking.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

A bunch of baloney. Don't believe it for a minute. The Pistons will sign AJ guaranteed. People are looking for a story line. It is no story line to say that the Pistons will sign him, but it is to say that they won't because then it get's people all piXXed off which is what writers try and do; i.e., get people's blood flowing.

Total BS. AJ will resign with Detroit.

:hoops:
  12. mikhail1973

Well, that's what media does to make money. They have a few facts and build a million assumptions so that they have a "story".
  13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

The mathmatics support the story. The CB signing, full MLE, and sizable offer to Amir by a competing team will force us over the tax threshold.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

True, but re-ordering the priority is laughable.

How long are we going to sign Hill, Rose or any other MLE FA for?

Short term thinking has sunk this team over the last couple years, although Joe is so adamant about his job being about looking far down the road.

Even this year's draft picks are supposed to be NOW propositions.
  15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

The law is the law, rules are rules, and the CEO's edict is what it is. I don't hate Joe for having to run the business in accordance with the guidelines. But, from where I stand, I don't care if Joe D has to have a fire sale in some (hopefully non core) part of the roster to get it done. Just get it done.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The question is...are we making up the "edict"?

Joe said in his wxyz interview that Bill D. supports him 100% and when he feels strongly about making a move Bill never stands in his way.

Nows the time when everyone can come back with the typical "that's what he is supposed to say" type of nonsense, but Joe doesn't strike me as the disingenuous type.

If anything, if Joe didn't have anything nice to say concerning the matter, he wouldn't have said anything at all. Thats the type of guy I feel Joe is.

Seeing as how he offered the information freely and of his own volition, I'm going to accept it as the truth.
  17. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Very possible that he's making these statements about BillD backing him as a smoke screen to other GM's - to keep the scent of blood from reaching their nostrils.
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You glossed over the entire part about Joe being a man of great integrity didn't you?

If it wasn't true I don't think he would have brought it up.
  19. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

First all indications are that Hill is going to sign with Pheonix, therefor eeliminating us from the running. Theres just no one out there we want to try and sign besides him, so I think even if a full MLE gets offered to Amir, we can match it.
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If Amir Johnson leaves then this whole game of hiding Amir and not playing Amir to avoid paying the kid big time money in the off season would have blown up in the Pistons face. I am not saying Amir is the second coming of KG, but this kid could have helped this season and in the playoffs. We are screwed if Amir leaves. Another blown draft pick.