Different about this year?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Dec 27, 2007.

?

Are things different this year?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2008.
  1. Yes things are different - Pistons will win the East

60.4%
  2. No things are not different

3.8%
  3. Not sure yet.

35.8%
  1. max

max All-Star

Pistons are off to their 2nd best start since their resurgance under Dumars. Its hard to appreciate it at times. Its really a tough thing staying focused season after season like the Pistons have. Many teams just can't keep the momentum going into the next season after experiencing some playoff success. You see that year after year while the Pistons keep going. But as nice as its been the team has been falling shorter in the post-season than what they were expected to do.

My question is.

Is there something different about this season than the last 2 under Flip Saunders that would make you believe that the Pistons are going to get back to the Finals?

In other words are you a believer again?
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not yet. Its great that Stuckey is back. And I am sure that Flip thinks its great. But not for the right reason. He thinks its great because it will allow him to exclude Afflalo from playing time. Same for Maxiell. He loves that JMAX is doing so well, and he uses it as an excuse not to play Amir Johnson.

Is this pessimistic. Sure is. I have long ago lost all faith in Saunders to do the right things to get us ready for the playoffs. Absolutely I would rather be wrong about Saunders. But look at the fan base. All but a few are willing to ignore so much as long as we are winning regular season games.

What I ask everyone - keep vigilant. Demand not just a shot at winning it all, but demand our best shot, with all our young players ready to play.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Different.
    1. The bench. Flip is sticking to his 2nd qtr rotation. The bench is either maintaining or extending a lead. The rested starters are coming into the 3rd qtr smashing cats, allowing them to have the game wrapped up by the 10min mark of the 4th qtr.
    2. The youth. Maxey, AA, Hayes(dont start guys, I know, I know, just bear with me.) and Stuckey....and coming soon to a court near you...AMIR JOHNSON. As players get older they play further from the hoop, their shot is more reliable and they'd rather hoist J's than take inside punishment. Our young guys LOVE going to the hoop-sans Arvis (No J, until the J comes back.)
    3. New Attitude, no more if it ain't rough it ain't right......we just waiting for the playoffs....the SWITCH!!!!! Nope, no talk about any of that crap. The Pistons are coming to play everynight again. It's almost as if we've started GOIN' TO WORK again.
    4. Better Defense, the numbers speak for themselves.
    5. SHaring the ball.
    6. Starting McDyess. He is the perfect compromise between Ben and what Flip wants. In Dyess we get the best of both worlds.
    We're real close to playing the right way again.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It seems to me that we are more out of the media limelight than we have been in quite a while. I think that this is due to a great extent to our losing in the ECF Finals as favorites the last two years and the Celtics great start.

Hubie Brown who saw us beat the Cetlics, did comment during the Cavs-Heat game yesterday about our young, high energy and effective bench. It sounded like Mike Tirico didn't have a clue about our second unit.

So it seems to me that so far this year we are even more under the media radar than we have been in the past.

:hoops:
  5. max

max All-Star

Thats exactly how I feel. I can see the hunger in this team again. Hopefully they can keep it up, and they should because we have something that we have not had in a while. A decent bench to keep pushing the starters. The starters have commented on how the bench guys help keep the energy level up.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Doesn't mean a thing 'till I see it in the REAL playoffs (ie. ECF or later). When we're down 6, two minutes into the 2nd quarter and some of the regulars are struggling... What does Flip do? When we're firing up ugly looking jumpers and bricking time after time... What does Flip do? When we're allowing Bron Bron to slice our D like a Christmas Turkey... What does Flip do?

The last 2 years in the ECF, all he did was stand there and twitch. Some blowout wins against mediocre to flat out bad teams in the regular season aren't going to convince me we'll beat teams like the Celtics, Spurs (Much less the Cavs) when it counts. Flip's ability to gather up regular season wins has never been in question.
  7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pistons are playing well and mentally seem more stable. As with any team I am concerned about injuries. I do not think we can afford an injury to sheed. I am so happy that flip is limiting his minutes.
  8. buddahfan

We will have the same problem this coming June as we have had the last two years, i.e., overwhelming demand by Stern his cronies and the natioanl media that our ECF final opponent, which this year will be Boston, gets into the Finals and not us.

The rotten fact is, is that Deeeetroit Baasketball doesn't sell outside of Michigan. That is probably due to the fact that we don't have a superstar loved by the national media and also because a lot of the sports writers today covering the NBA were around when the Bad Boys ruled, so they hated us then and hate us now.

Its going to be tough to get to the Finals no matter how well we play unless one of the Big Three gets injured and can't play in the playoffs. The media will shut us out almost entirely, playing thousands of reruns of Zeke's giveaway pass vs the Celtics and Parish elbows to Lambs head.

If we get as far as playing the Celtics in the ECF I will have considered the season a success. If by some miracle we beat the media's beloved Mean Greenies, then I will consider it due to divine intervention, which is still more powerful than the national media and Stern.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We were certainly not the media favorite in '04. We just took it from them. Same thing can happen this year.
  10. buddahfan

Of course it can happen this year, but I think it is a long shot unless one of the Big Three is not able to play in the playoffs.

In 2004 we had Brown as the coach. Brown has always been a big media story, even when he coached at Kansas and UCLA.

It was a big story to see if Brown, who was already in the HOF, could get his first ring.

In 2004 there was no media push for any other team in the EC to get to the Finals, In fact Brown was the big media story in 2004 and we got to the Finals

Media favorites to make it to the Finals

2004 - Brown
    2005 - Brown replay
    2006 - Wade and Shaq
    2007 - Lebron
    2008 - Celtics and the Big Three, especially KG, who as they say has paid his dues, laboring in MN for over a decade.

There will be even a bigger media push for the Celtics to get to the Finals especially if the Belacheats win the Super Bowl. The media has already laid the ground work for the story of the Red Sox, Pats and then Celtics winning a title. Fortunately for Wings fans the Bruins are only a second level tier team, so there is no way that they can win the Stanley Cup in 2008.

There have already been a number of stories about how great a thing it would be for the Red Sox, Pats and Celtics to win.

The NFL reversed their policy to show regional games and is making sure that the Pats are on all over the country. This is gigantic business with billions of dollars involved. If the Pats win the Super Bowl then there will be even more billions hanging in the balance for the Celtics to at least get to the Finals, if not win it.

The Ravens almost messed this whole scenario up, but in my opinion the officials took care of that.

I don't think my position is negative, but is a realistic assessment of how the big business of sports works. When all is said and done the fan is the fan, but sports is a gigantic business and it is the money and power that drives it.

11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

We will enter the media spotlight after we continue our 64 win season trend, and the Celtics die on the west coast. Then the moves of Flip playing the youngins will be analyzed by the media. Our team is different this season since Flip has the Backing of JDumars and the youngsters will get increased playing time. Being out of the spotlight has brought the veterans back into the fold since they CRAVE the spotlight. All the stars are aligned and the Pistons take home the Ship and Flip is the "Coach of the Year"....
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One big difference to me is that we now have 2 very mature young guards and a seasoned Maxiell, who all seem to be poised beyond their years... and yet they add that energy that we needed.

In the past, it was obvious that Flip considered it a sacrifice to get young players in the game. Now it seems like he is leening on them for easy wins.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The media and David Stern have very little to do with which teams win basketball games. The conspiracy theories are weak excuses when a team plays poorly.

LeBron, Boobie and the rest of the Cavs kicked the Pistons butt last year. It all boils down to who steps up when the game is on the line.
  14. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

That reminds me of this quote from Sheed:

Nets all but helpless as Pistons roll to sixth straight
  15. buddahfan

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree.

17. buddahfan

But don't think for a tick of the clock that this will prevent me from continuing to try and win you over to my way of thinking, and I expect that you will do the same with me.

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To paraphrase a line from an old jazz song,
  19. buddahfan

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey I penned that ring phrase in my article regarding the post season Piston demise back in 2006...lets hope we don't have the same scenarios this year.

My issue so far this year is that we still go into offensive droughts in the second qtr, we occassionally go away from the paint and rely on the jumpers, Prince seems to take a week off on occassion and Flip still believes that Hunter can spell Billups for 5+ mins no matter how often it is apparrent that we lose ground....I guess the last statement will overturn itself once [strike]50 cents[/strike], [strike]Hot rod [/strike]or Stuckey gets up to snuff.
    http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...987-dont-mean-thing-if-you-dont-get-ring.html