Disposing of Vegas Bucks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Cotswold, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Cotswold

Cotswold First Round Draft Pick

Predictions tonight? I predict that Sharpe will go for 14, 5 boards, 2 steals.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I haven't watched any Sharp yet. Please update us with his results! Thanks!
  3. Cotswold

Sharpe was 3-6, 2-2 from the line, 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 fouls, 3 to's, no steals, no blocks. 8 points.

bynum looked good---can take anyone off the dribble---can get to the line easily

amir had 9 fouls and six points, three blocks, four boards

afflalo looked great
  4. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

He made too many mistakes, in my opinion. Those mistakes led to huge amounts of Milwaukee fastbreaks. He was wild in a lot of everything he did. Then again, I didn't even watch the game.
  5. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

Who won guys??
  6. Cotswold

bucks---sessions tore us apart----i watched the game, deron washington had a sick alley oop dunk in the third----bynum looked good, wasn't wild, played well-------samb showed some range, blocked 3 shots
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I knew they should have (and still could) done this trade.

Detroit sends:
    McDyess to Denver
    Tayshaun Prince & Amir Johnson to Milwaukee

Detroit gets:
    Steven Hunter and Chucky Atkins from Denver and

Dan Gadzuric, Mo Williams & Ramon Sessions from Milwaukee

Outlook:
    This trade allows Sheed to move back to PF as DET gets much needed size up front with Gadzuric and Hunter. There is a lot of versatility to this 2 headed C monster as well with Hunter athleticism and Gadzuric's touch and size. There is no need to worry about foul trouble either when you add Max to this group.

DET's guards would be CB, Rip, Atkins, Mo Williams, Stuckey, AA and Ramon Sessions. That again is a lot of versatility and depth. Moving Stuckey between the 1 and 2 is no problem with Williams and Atkins to run the point.

The only weakness with this team is SF, but the stacked depth above allows you to move someone if need be. They also have the mid level to sign someone like Herrrrrrman or Sammy Meija. Right now, AA would start with Rip backing him up. You could also start Max at the 3. He has the quickness to keep up there.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How can you analyze a game without even watching it?
  9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

The boxscore, my friend. Five turnovers.
  10. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Saw some of the 2nd half. No Stuckey in this game - must be still hurting.

Score was close at halftime/3rd quarter - but we really struggled to score in down the stretch. No accomplished scorers on the team without Stuckey. Afflalo tried to be the man, it wasn't exactly pretty - think Rip when he's trying to force things. He missed several free throws as well. In fairness, he did try to kick the ball back out for open jumpers, but we don't seem to have anyone able to hit open jumpers on the team. He's constantly applying pressure at both ends of the court; he always plays with the kind of "force" RC used to talk about.

The fact that we struggled to score seems to speak to Bynum's effectiveness as a point guard. He tried to help AA in the attempt to force shots/contact. In short, our offense was pretty lame - consisted of a lot of attempted penetration by Bynum and AA without much results. This may have been the coach's game plan.

Seen bits of Sharpe in each of the three games. He physically looks like a young, skinny Otis Thorpe - can't believe they list him at 245lbs. He looks comfortable both in the post and on the perimeter with the ball in his hands; I agree with Joe's belief that he can play SF, he's got good basketball instincts. He just seems so young and not ready to play with the kind of force necessary to be effective in the big boy league. He looks a bit lost on the court without the ball - somewhat like Allan Houston did his first year or two.

Samb's taking a lot of shots and shooting a poor percentage. He also dosen't seem to be a deterent to opposition points in the paint. I think his ability to help us is overblown.

Amir picked up a ton of fouls again. The "problem" with him is he's just always around the ball, which is a very good thing sometimes. But sometimes it takes him out of position and he fails to fulfill his defensive responsibilites. We tried to get him the ball in post a few times. As Flip used to say, "he's surprisingly effective" at getting the ball in the hoop in these situations.

Wish Acker was playing. Would like to see how a more seasoned "professional" guard would perform. Not especially impressed with idea of Bynum on the regular season roster.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice post KP.

I don't think anyone here is putting too much hope in Samb. It's more that he's potentially a backup center this season if he combines his previously shown shooting and shot blocking ability with more girth. Now that we see that he's heavier, the hope is that he can hold his own in there.

But there is so little data that it's still a mystery. His shooting form and comments from other Piston players/ coaches/ GM suggest that he can shoot well. It is logical to think that if he is given consistent minutes that his percentage will go up. But the real unkowns are whether or not he can hold his position in the post, play defense against real NBA centers without fouling excessively, and contribute offensively in the interior. Maybe we can answer some of these questions by watching LVSL games, but it will probably take some early season minutes to really find out what we have.

As far as the rest of the summer league squad, it is interesting how we got whooped without Stuckey. Milwaukee's PG lit us up.
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Amount of turnovers is going to be high for the PG's in the tournament as they play with all new players and nobody knows any of the other players' tendencies. When you surround someone like Bynum with quality players who can actually hit the shots and demand defensive attention, he'll be a lot more effective, especially with enough practice.
    Sharpe, Amir and Samb need playing time to learn the game. How many games have they played over the past 3-4 years? Very little. That's why you're bound to see all the mistakes and have a feeling of "player looking lost" on the court. Sharpe is probably due for the D-League to get his feet wet. Samb needs some playing time. It will be tougher with Amir, as Curry will have to find him time with Pistons.
  13. KP

Sounds like a description I heard a couple years ago about a player whose name starts with "D" and ends with "O". I guess I'd just really like to see someone whose game is good enough to at least be effective in the summer league - and I've not seen it in anyone outside of Stuckey.

AA's not at that level, but he's trying. Plaisted has some game, and it shows. It's just doesn't rise to the level of NBA quality competitors. Sharpe has some NBA quality tools, but hasn't shown that they translate into an NBA quality game. He has some work to do.

Show me a guy who can show off his game against summer league competition. Maxiell did it last year - and he went on to contribute during the regular season. If you can't get it done in summer league, I don't hold out much hope that you can do it in the big league.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Samb seems to be doing about as well as Amir in the 3 games so far.

Amir/ 9 pts/ 4.3 reb/ 0 ast/ 1.3 stl/ 1.0 blck
    Samb/ 8 pts/ 5.3 reb/ 1 ast/ 0 stl/ 1.7 blck/ fouling way less

While neither is lighting it up, they are only getting 22 and 25 mpg. I was only able to watch the first game off the internet and couldn't really see enough resolution to take much away from it.

I'm not saying Samb can contribute, just that I hope he can. And I'm curious as to how good he is. I'm sure we are in agreement there.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Didn't Amir light up the D-league ? similar competition minus a few name players . . . And hasn't he already contributed during the regular season when he got minutes ?
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes, Yes, Yes......all this concern about Amir not dominating the VSL is crazy. He's already shown what he can do in REAL GAMES against REAL COMPETITION. He's tuning his game right now, he's not trying to prove anything to anybody.
  17. KP

Originally Posted by lpgrl26 [​IMG]
    Didn't Amir light up the D-league ? similar competition minus a few name players . . . And hasn't he already contributed during the regular season when he got minutes ?

Appreciate the reminders of his progress and positive contributions. Yes, he did put up some impressive numbers in the DL. And he has contributed positively to some regular season games.

But at some point he has to become more than just a young athletic kid with lots of potential who plays a scatter-brained, energy game. I keep hoping that one day he'll actually become a player. I'm disappointed that I'm not seeing that yet. Nothing in his game is showing professional level polish; it's still just athleticism. To be fair, I do realize that he's only 21 and the youngest player on our VSL roster - but he's starting his fourth professional season.

KGREG, what part of his game do you think he's "tuning": post moves, ball handling, jump shot, hook shot, passing, man to man defense, boxing out, not fouling? Perhaps I'm not watching closely enough. He still looks like Amir the pin-ball rather than Amir the professional. The concern would be "crazy" if we were talking about a 2nd round pick who's a long-shot to make the team, but we're talking about a fourth year player who's making $3.7mil a year and is expected to challenge for a spot in the regular rotation.

Based on what I've seen in the VSL the last couple of years, it dosen't surprise me that Flip made Stuckey and Max the first two young guys off the bench during the regular season. They've shown the most polish during the VSL - and the two of them together are making less $ than Amir.

I'm not writing Amir off, I'm still hopeful, but I'm disappointed with his performance so far in the VSL. And I have to think Joe was hoping for a little more polish and effectiveness out of him as well.

And regarding having something to prove, I think that Joe would expect Amir to feel a little incentive to prove to his bosses that their financial commitment to him is justified. Or at least that his game justifies taking minutes away from Dysse, Sheed, or Max - his next contract depends on it.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Nice Post...For all of the AJ admirers...This one seems right on to me..
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We are talking about our most productive player per minute last year.

Fouling is his one real weakness right now, but that quality also compels him to challenge all shots, which is a strength. That is why I think he'll adapt... because he is choosing to challenge shots. When it results in going to the bench, he'll adapt.
  20. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow. Its crazy to think how much money he is making. Think MAX is a little jealous? Wonder how much AJ's contract will factor into the negotiations of his extension. Although, I bet one of them is included in any trade.