Dixon or Afflalo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Mar 11, 2008.

?

Dixon or Afflalo?

1. Dixon

9.1%
  2. Afflalo

77.3%
  3. Don't care

13.6%
  1. max

max All-Star

For now it appears that Dixon has overtaken Afflalo as our 4th guard given that he is getting the 10 MPG that AA used to get in that role while AA racks up DNP's.

Who do you prefer as our 4th guard?
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I prefer the easy break away lay ups we getting with AA in the line up over the fall away jumpers that Dixon is shooting.
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I don't really care, as I think both have severe flaws, but Afflalo is more consistent, and his style of play will help his team win more games.

But next to Stuckey, Dixon or Hunter might be the better fit, unless Stuckey develops his jumpshot beyond the Will Blalock level.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I got some bad news for you, Alfalover is out. Veteren in. Dixon will need to shoot .200% or lower for rookie to get some PT.
    Sorry
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like that Dixon is not afraid to shoot, but he is just off sometimes. On the other hand, Alf some times forces on the offensive end, but I like his ablility to drive and penetrate when necessary as well as play D. So even though I didn't vote I am leaning Alfs' way because our defense has has suffered the past week since he was sent back to planet Melmac...:deathstar1:
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I demand to know who voted for Dixon j/k :)

Everybody already knows my answer.

edited to add;

I just realized you can click on it and check. I'm poll challenged apparently.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i voted for dixon because i don't think we can roll with 2 rookie guards in the playoffs, and dixon is more of a game-changer offensively. i don't think we're going to lose playoff games due to lack of defense from bench players, but i think we can win games from bench guys changing games.

i like afflalo more long-term, and i love his defense, but i think dixon will work better with lindsey and especially stuckey when may and june come around.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

IMO it depends on the situation. If you need some points off the bench - Dixon, if you need some stops, on the ball defense then Afflalo.

However, if you are talking playoffs we will probably see Dixon in both situations. I just don`t see Flip putting AA in a tight playoff game. I hope I am wrong because I would love to see how he responds, not to mention he would gain valuable playoff experience.
  9. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I don't understand this. Afflalo does well in games, Excellent diffence and all we do is look for someone to play his position and take his minutes. I will give JD and Flip the benefit of the doubt, as they are way more experienced that i am. BUT, i they will hear it from me IF we have a faulty step in our way to the finals. ANYTHING less than NBA finals is not accepted. SPECIALLY if we choke on diffence and AA is not playing
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Cast your vote man.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm not totally sold on my vote but i was trying to offer a different perspective because i was surprised at how lopsided the poll was. i'm fine with either guy
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Why does everyone have so much wood for Afflailaroundo?

He's a rook, I can see his value/potential for the future, but since he has subpar athleticism he's the kind of player that won't really be a plus player until he learns all the nuances of the NBA game. That would be next season... At the earliest.
  14. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's rite. Matchups. And this is where Flip is weak at. He does not understand matchups. He sticks to the same rotations most of the time no matter what.

If we have a SG or a SF driving into the lane easily when we need stops, Spellcheck is the man who will be able to stop their flow. If our defense is doing ok and need scores, Dixon the man.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Dixon has played well but I'd like to see the Zoo Crew remain intact. Dixon can fil the role Hunter was expected to fill. Spot minutes here or there.
  16. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

I voted for Afflalo, and here is my reasoning.

At least 4 of the starters (and both of the guards) are going to play closer to 40 minutes in every playoff game where the outcome is in doubt. That means off of the bench we really only need about 10 minutes each at PG and SG, and I doubt they are played at the same time. So we're likely to see Billups/Afflalo and Stuckey/Rip tandems, along with Tay and/or Sheed on the floor. In these situations the starters can be the main scoring options and the bench guy should bring defense/hustle.

IMO the only aspect in which Dixon would have an advantage over Afflalo in the above scenario is with respect to his 3pt shooting, but I really don't think we need another guy chucking up 3s.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think Afflalo's defense is game-changing. If one of our rookie guards struggles in the playoffs i have a feeling it's going to be Stuck.

Honestly if we need a veteran presence, i already expect Hunter to play, and i'd rather have him over Dixon as well.

Dixon's defense will hurt us, and if Flip pulls him his response better not be to play Rip 4o + min.
  18. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

i like the C$/Afflalo pairing as well, but he also does a decent job of stabilizing things and bringing a pseudo veteran calming effect for Stuckey when he is out there.

Dixon is better at.

Getting his own shot, especially step backs and midrange... And actually making thme.

Court Savvy (afflalo will eventually pass him, probably within 2 years)

Being consistent (afflalo gets VERY erratic at times, this too will improve with time)

Not being overly aggressive on D and picking up fouls or getting jocked with this over aggression and getting out of position and giving up wide open looks.

Afflalo is better in pretty much every way not listed including guarding bigger guards and wee tiny SF's. he has also shown a 'big game' knack in the games vs LAL, and the first game @ Boston among others.

The future for I flail around is bright, but the future for him is not NOW.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's not get carried away. Afflalo plays pretty good defense for a rookie, but game-changing? Not even close.

Ben Wallace could change a game on defense. Lindsey Hunter could change a game once in a while before he joined AARP. Gary Payton could do it...Alonzo, Dikembe, Hakeem, even Rodman.

Afflalo? Sorry. He holds his own for a rookie, but come playoff time, he will be riding the pine.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

And that last game with boston wasn't full PO intensity and our rookies still struggled mightily.

And PO-s aren't time for developement.