Do the Pistons have the most useless bench in the league?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is all on coach. A good coach would put his players in the position to succeed. We, on other hand, see our players succeed with other teams after they leave.

2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If Nazr is so great how come the Spurs replaced him in the starting line up mid season andhe was put on the bench and then was not resigned? Hunter and Davis are old fossils that have very little in the tank to bring it consistantly every night and Dupree should be in Europe somewhere playing. As for Flip Murray the prolbem with him is that he is not a point guard. When you play a guy out of position you are setting him up to fail.

I don't agree that Chicago has a worse bench. Chicago has Duhon, Tyrus Thomas and Nocioni. Duhon can shoot the 3 and can put up double digit points and get you 5 assists a game. Then you have Tyrus Thomas who can block shots and get rebounds and clean up around the basket. Nocioni also can shoot the 3 and is aggressive around the basket and can put up double digit points.

Is there one guy besides McDyess on our bench that anyone is concerned about? I don't think so. We don't have a legit shooter like we had in the Bad Boy days a Vinny Johnson type player that can come in a shoot the lights out when his number is called. We need a guy like that.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What you are saying is that we need a guy to win the "Sixth Man of The Year" award next year.

It certainly wouldn't hurt.

:hoops:

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i didn't say nazr was great, but he's a more than serviceable bench player. davis played great in the orlando series and i never heard anyone complain about him having a single poor minute in the playoffs. hunter sucked but he had been good enough the previous few years.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think the problem is the bench players. I think that the problem is not using or developing the players on our bench.

Could we stand to improve the talent on our bench?
    Sure, there aren't many teams that couldn't.

Are they the best bench in the league?
    Nope, but they're also far from the worst. The fact that our starting 5 has been one of, if not the, best in the league should more than make up for that fact. I'll take an excellent starting rotation and a decent bench over a decent starting 5 and an excellent bench any day.

Is the bench responsible for our playoff collapse?
    Common, really? Most of our starters were either non-existent (Tay, Rip, Webber with their disappearing acts) or counterproductive (Billups with his TOs and poor shot selection) for most or all of the Cavs series in a heck of a lot more minutes than our bench players got. The bench was underutilized, underdeveloped and poorly coached all season long, and now all of a sudden they're the problem?

Do I think the bench cost us a Championship or at the very least a trip to the Finals?
    Not at all. I think that our bench was serviceable enough - had it been developed and used correctly - that we could have gone all the way on the strength of our starting 5.

Do I hate Flip Saunders (hate in the grossly overused and melodramatic "sports fanatic" sense of the word. I'm sure Flip is a wonderful human being away from teh game) and the direction of this team?
    Uh huh. With every fiber of my being.

6. max

max All-Star

Jammer - good post but lets wait and see what happends this summer because there could be a whole new direction here. Except for the head coach.

Extrapolating the old direction would be to add a couple of vets, send the #27 pick down to the D-league, turn Amir into the new HVC and never play the #15 pick saying he is developing in practice.

We will see.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just hope that the light really has finally gone on this time, instead of them sitting in the dark, but telling us that they can see.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

No, the Pistons just have the most used-less bench in the league.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Now that is probably true.

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Problem is the Pistons have the "grass is greener" syndrome when it comes to bench players. We keep signing guys no wants, and giving away players that a lot of teams want.

The only reasonable excuse is Okur, and that is only because of his price tag.

But when we sign players like Mo Evans, Darvin Ham, Tony Delk, Elgin, Derrick Coleman, Lindsey, Super Dupe, and Flip. Half those guys were picked off of waivers.

And give away Darko, Carlos, and Mo Evans (I know I mentioned him twice); and barely play JMax, Amir, Acker, and Blaylock. For whatever reason, we don't trust our homegrown talent.

Which makes no sense, considering the only true busts (NBA wide, not just on the Pistons) that Joe has drafted so far are Rodney White and Mateen Cleaves. Everyone else is still playing and contributing. They may not have reached their potential, but they are good.

A good comparison would be a guy who marries a woman he thinks is a 10. Then he realizes she's only an 8, so he divorces her to marry a 6.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Show me a quote where Flip admits he ever made a mistake, and I will hope. Nope, it will not happen. Flip still does not believe in player fatigue. He still does not believe a bench is needed. If Dumars goes forward with a plan to put so many young players on the team that Flip is forced to play some young players, Flip will rebel, undermine the heck out of those young players. He will play his game. He will try to force Dumars to bring vets aboard. If Dumars can't see what is about to happen, he needs to seriously consider finding a new job.

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If Flip pulls that I expect him to be out by the All-Star break.

The question is who steps in to coach at that time?

13. max

max All-Star

Flip will do whatever he is told. I am not worried about that part of his coaching at least.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why. His best friend fired him in Minnesota, for not wanting to follow the program. Why do you think he cares a hoot what Dumars wants. So far, Flip has shown little sign of marching to any drum but his own. If you disagree, please do show me an instance where Flip actually tried to develop a bench, or gave anything more than lip service to the idea of keeping his starters rested and fresh.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You're right lee. But I'm not ready to storm the Bastille just yet.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Scary thing is, this is not hyperbole. I can not recall Flip ever taking the blame for anything, or admitting the players were tired. He always says, they didn't follow the game plane, or they let mental toughness allowed them to be fatigued.

Real curious to see who's coaching at the all-star break.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not germane at any level of detail for this forum.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm sure if we can post about blazin' hazen and samwell and the benefits of lard and duck fat, we got room for that.

19. max

max All-Star

Lee, I am not really sure what the dynamic was between Flip and Dumars last season. I believe Dumars took a larger role which is why the bench played more.

If Dumars was serious in what he was saying in his recent interviews it looks like Flip is going to be under the microscope. We will see.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And yet you make it sound really darned cool.

I'm in. :gun1: