Do we even miss Darko and Arroyo?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko was never a big part of this team through the early part of the season, so it is hard to say one way or another if the trade impacted the Pistons positively OR negatively.

But with the Hunter/Delk combo (2 guys whom neither of which is a true point), do we really miss Carlos Arroyo? Was Joe right when he said that without Chauncey this team wouldn't have a chance to compete for the title anyway (regardless of who the backup is)?

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

good question- actually, we don't miss em'. On long- term, we could miss them, given the fact that Darko breaks out next season when our frontcourt is going to be one year older. But that's another story.
    Currently, the Delk/Hunter combo is doing fine and DD, Mc Dyess may be old, but perfect fits for the win now club.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hello Microwave, I am baaaaaack. In answere to your Darko question; absolutely, positively notttttt.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So far I don't miss them a bit. But, ask me again in a year or 2.

That's when the true value of this trade can be determined. We'll have our draft pick by then, and we'll find out if Darko sinks or swims.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

arroyo.
    i think mcdyess would be putting up 20 and 10 if arroyo was still here. mcdyess seemed to be the only one arroyo would pass to in the nba. arroyo has also shown that he can put up some points and create his own shot. he is still not turning the ball over either. i do however think that the delk/hunter combo provides much more defense. delk also counters hunters lack of offensive ability. in the playoffs though i think we could miss him. i think we could win the first 2 round series with arroyo at the point if cb turned an ankle. i don't see us winning the first 2 series with turnover / brick thrower lindsey at the point. i'm not convinced yet if delk can set up anybody else but himself although i do like his pull up 3's.

darko.
    tay ending up on duncan in game 7 of the finals last year is enough for me to say that having a 7 foot shot blocker / shot changer come off the bench could only be a good thing. from what i hear on the orlando forums darko is also posting up quite well. this could give us that inside post presence that we don't seem to have. he also shoots free throws pretty well and is improving on rebounding. he is dropping jaw dropping dimes too to get the crowd into it. i think everybody knows i'm a darko fan to the end so of course this post is biased. i think we will win this year without darko i never doubted that. i just don't think we'll have that dynasty that we would have had.

man that defensive shutdown unit off the bench would have been nice with hunter, delk, delfino, mcdyess and darko.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think so. This team needs defense. The playoffs is about attrition and delk and hunter will help wear opposing guards down and we have good players on the team to make up for great playmaking ability.

Darko despite the stat line is a liability. As often as he'll swat duncan (sheed can do that!!!!), he'll chase tony parker leaving duncan open for a jam on a rotating wallace(pick one) for an "and-1"

My one big hope was for Darko to lockdown Dirk but Darko's still too raw for such a heady veteran.

7. bball jay

he'll swat tony parker a couple of times also and alter numerous shots. i'd rather him attempt to swat parker than concede the layup like our bigs do. sheed also gets into foul trouble and likes to get techs. you call darko a liability. what would you call cato or d. davis in that situation as the 3rd big because sheed had to sit out a game because of a technical foul.

darko is producing very well for a bench player down in orlando. don't try to discredit it. that's like saying despite ben's "intangible's" he's a liability cause as many points he stops on the defensive end he gives them back on missed free throws or his man clogging up the lane.

8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

As for Arroyo, I think we would have missed him if he had continued to play in the jaw-dropping way he played in the first games he played in Orlando. The fans were going crazy from the way he was making superior passes and still no turnovers. But now, he seems to be looking for his shot way too much.

In those first few games, his shots were super, too, but it was from the fact that the opponents were looking for him to pass. Now, they have clicked in on the fact that he seems to be looking for this shots first, and he is having to force too many.

As for Darko, of course we do not miss him yet. From the way he was being used, he would not have been a part of this year or any other year's plans.

But the way he is playing now that he is getting minutes, we certainly will miss what he could be bringing here rather than in Orlando. It is becoming a recognized fact that in Orlando he is getting Dwight and (dang it, I forgot the other center's name) more interested in teaming up to shut down the paint, and Howard has said that he is starting to do the things Darko does to block shots.

And some quite good NBAers are saying that they are starting to look over their shoulders looking for Darko and his blocks.

I think that we will win the rings this year, but I am still willing to bet that the reason we don'[t, if we don't, is that our bigs will be too tired from playing Shaq that we will not be able to finish off the west contender. And it would be the reason we don't get by Miami, if we don't get by Miami.

But I have not had the opportunity to see many Piston games recently. We will be home and able to see them all, from this coming Monday.

I will tell you this, however, I am going to seek out a package that will let me see the Magic next season, and I will be looking for Jazz games, as well.

Okur is becoming an all-star caliber player out there.

9. max

max All-Star

I can't see how we can miss a guy who never played. On Arroyo Hunter and Delk have been doing great and will bring the D in the playoffs.

Berbs, You touched on a much ignored subject - Okur. He is the real star that got away. What can you do? Utah offered him all that money.

10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The only thing we miss about them, IMO, is Arroyo's "towel waving". Just look at the bench. Against Dallas the entire Mavs bench was standing up cheering their team on almost the entire 4th quarter. The Pistons bench was sitting on their hands. That's one thing that I think Arroyo did very well. He was into the game even if he wasn't on the court. That's one thing that's missing right now. Dice and Delfino were the only guys on the bench that showed any interest.

Darko was a non-factor (at least with the coaching situation), and Arroyo was a shoot-first PG with pass first skills and no shot. Not to mention he doesn't play D.

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Bill Simmons misses Darko:
    "I miss Darko and his brooding, Macaulay Caulkin-like presence during timeouts."

Me, I miss the debates, and I miss the hope of what Darko could bring. Arroyo, dribblers are a dime a dozen.

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yah arroyo was a good towel-waver. i miss that.

other than that, no.

13. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am still waiting to see how Darko does against the +.500 teams. Nets, Maimi, Spurs, Mavs, Pacers, and, yes, the Pistons. He may be able to put up decent numbers agains the bottom feeders, but lets see him against the best.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't miss these damn discussions, I'll tell you that. Maybes, couldas, wouldas - BAH!

Good luck to both guys, and to Orlando fanatics nodding dreamily on the opiate of potential. Let them fantasize about Darko and Dwight Howard towering over the NBA of 2008 with LeBron eagerly signing on for the ride ... while their team craps away another meaningless game. As a fan I've been there, and I've been here. Here is better.

15. bball jay

you will get your chance friday.

but to answer your doubts darko has played well against cleveland, phoenix, indiana already. it seems like the darko doubters and haters have picked up the excuse torch. now that darko is playing well it's because he's on a lottery team. he's playing against bottom feeders. some have even went so far as to say they don't want to hear about darko period. i think that has to do with all of the good reports coming in. darko is the truth no need to wait to find out. oh yeah don't trust the stats he's getting robbed of blocks and assists from what i hear.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I also hear that the camera angles are much better in Orlando.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed. But I thought my Darko wasn't involved enough to be missed statement might have kept the focus on Arroyo.

It did generate this good line...

Still, it's fun to see bball jay and lazy come out of hiding. Maybe one day they will watch a Pistons game and post to a game thread. Stranger things have happened. ;) LMAO!

Just kidding guys, but seriously, I don't think we miss Arroyo at all.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dyess has really picked his game up. Is he getting more minutes too now? It seems it took 60 games for him to nut up completely. Or maybe he realizes he didn't need a meal ticket.

19. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I don't miss Arroyo at all but I do miss Darko's potential. I hope we don't regret that trade once we find out what his full potential really was, minus the potential of the draft pick we got for him of course.

20. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Tony Delk and the resurgence of Lindsey Hunter have proved to be a better decision than keeping Arroyo. The fans would love to have seen the Pistons include young guys in the playoff run, so they could gain experience and continue the 'ship run through out the years. Joe brought in players that need the ring more than playing time. They are willing to sacrifice. Arroyo and Darko are at the beginning of their careers and felt held back. Tracy Mcgrady wouldn't be TMac if he didn't move to Orlando. I feel that Darko will be coming back to Detroit in five years. As far as having bodies in the playoffs, there is Cato and DD who could give our big body some rest. Don't worry Shaq and Zo will still be hurt, come playoffs time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.